• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Collected list of current factory statuses

John Abel

Known Member
15/5/20
UK
I'm pretty sure Rolex has patented their in house movements.

A patent grants protection of an invention. The watch movement (as a whole) may have been patented centuries ago. Patents expire after, I think, 25 years and obviously today anybody is free to make watch movements without infringing any intellectual property.
A second aspect is the design. how to arrange gears, levers, plates, etc. to make a movement. That is not considered invention and is not patentable.
In today's movements there could be small details that can be considered invention and patentable but they don't cover the whole movement, for example US8348497B2 (Flat balance spring for horological balance...) is a Rolex Patent from 2010. It is still legal to copy a movement without implementing that specific solution but another.
That 'China doesn't care about foreign patents' is incorrect and relative. Incorrect because patents not issued in China don't prevent from producing there. It prevents from exporting but being the internal Chinese market so big, the fact is that Rolex issues their patents also in China (the above example is European Patent, US, China and Japan).
So the correct wording is 'China doesn't care about patents'. Well, they do. There is a line between doing legal and illegal things and they know at which side they stand. Some Chinese business owners fear raids and investigations every day, others don't. What happens is that the Chinese government won't stop them making money from the West, only the Western pressure does that. If that's what 'China don't care about patents' means, then I agree.

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
All of this patent detail and discussion is fascinating, but once you engrave ROLEX on the movement, it's just another illegal counterfeit item.

Reactions: mrsullivan

j21

wawaweewa
Supporter
Certified
16/1/21
EU
Bad time to order from China right now,even if it is in stock on Dealer's hands.Shipping sucks big time

John Abel

Known Member
15/5/20
UK
All of this patent detail and discussion is fascinating, but once you engrave ROLEX on the movement, it's just another illegal counterfeit item.

Exactly. Even if it's a plastic quartz watch. The name is a registered IP. Not a patent but a TM. Trade marks (I own one) last for 10 years but can be extended undefinitely.
There are those "NASA" shirts and hoodies. In most cases they are made by people that have nothing to do with NASA, they just pay some royalties for the registered name and/ or logo usage.

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
For those who haven't seen the other thread or reddit, the Dandong movement factory for VSF and Noob movements won't be producing any more of them, so the A4130 is out the window along with the VS32xx and VS31xx.
Things seems to be moving quickly with more raids on ROF and GMF from what other members have said.

​​​​​​

Reactions: Doc.77

ttbb281

Horology Curious
27/7/17
Update: MKS/MK (same factory?) are closed. One TD mentioned raids whilst the other said it's due to national holidays

socal

Horology Curious
19/12/15
Looks like one of Tony's sites. He has been at this so long I cannot remember his second name lol. You might get a watch but no comeback if anything is wrong with it and it will not be a Noob.

Agreed

Genera74

29/12/14
My TD told me this week ARF is closed - anyone knows reasons and when they will be back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leo6929

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/5/16
Was Noob really 33 yrs old... wow... end of an era

Orich121

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/8/19
Denmark
For those who haven't seen the other thread or reddit, the Dandong movement factory for VSF and Noob movements won't be producing any more of them, so the A4130 is out the window along with the VS32xx and VS31xx.
Things seems to be moving quickly with more raids on ROF and GMF from what other members have said.

​​​​​​

I just spoke to my TD, and he could confirm that the A4130 is dead, but said that the vs32xx and vs31xx is not confirmed dead, can u confirm ur statement regarding the vs32xx and 31xx is dead for real?

I Got a order played for a VSF and theres still no news on the factory.

ellocity

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/10/19
Italy
Info from a TD Quick factory update: K11F, BPF, BVF, FAKE NOOB, GMF, ZF and a few other smaller factories are open for orders

Reactions: P..DR..D