• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Got a Gen Seamaster, but not as happy as I thought.

pete_od9

Horology Curious
20/5/21
Hello people,

I wanna tell you my story of owning a gen Seamaster 300m Blue dial. I just got it days ago, paid $4,700 for it. It looks good, it feels great, but I don't know why I don't feel like I'm on the top of the world? Why am I not obsess with this hard-earned timepiece?

My assumption is because I know how good rep watches can be, and it makes me feel irrational to paid the premium for a thing that also tells the time.

3 weeks ago, I bought a VSF Yachtmaster 42. Although it's a rep, the overall feeling is similar to owning a new gen Omega. I mean when they're on my wrist, it feels equally great, they're both nice looking watches, except one costs $600, and the other $4.7K. What's special for the gen is it makes me question my financial decision, in addition to excitement it provides.

Initially, I plan to save up to buy the gen Seamaster. Then I entered the rep world, and I didn't changed my mind, I still wanted a gen. Time to time, the temptation to try a rep is so strong but I set my goal to get a gen Seamaster anyway. So I ended up buying VSF Yachtmaster 42. I was blown away by the built quality. I never hold gen in my hand but this could easily be my everyday wear, it is that good. I even sent the watch to regulate, now it's running like gen, this is even better!

About a couple days ago, I purchased a gen Seamaster. It was astonishing, the experience at the AD, the service, the watch itself, all the box and cards, the red Omega bag, the process of activating your warranty, knowing that you own this watch 'first hand', the finest of craftmanship is now yours. I came home, visit Omega website, access the master chronometer result of the watch. I can't take my eyes of it, it's so captivating. Yes, you know it, I glance at it very often but do not know what time is it. Then, the day after, the feeling's gone.

The watch becomes another watch. I'm still proud when I look at it because I earned it. Yet, there is one thought in the back of my head, is it worth it? I mean of course, it's way better than a rep. But do I really need to pay that much to enjoy this look?

The purchase did not put me in a difficult financial situation at all, or it's normal for a salary man to contemplate about his choice? especially, when VSF offers you identical piece with only 1/10 of the money you spent, and probably provide you with the similar excitement.

I think I am disappointed that an excitement from gen timepiece is somewhat equal to that of a rep, because rep watches are so good!!! Perhaps, I'm rep guy and should rock the rep, less regret, less expectation. Do you think, in the multiverse, I would still want a gen, even though I got a rep Seamaster already?

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Thanks for sharing your experience. It certainly confirms my suspicions of how I would end up feeling, should I ever succumb to the temptation of investing in a high value gen.

That having been said however, I really feel I need to add one other comment:

:ttiwwop:

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Reason why I decided on rep. Yes the quality is top notch almost all the time for gens but even they have issues. But same like you my mind cant tell the difference. Its almost like I got the watch I wanted but at a crazy discount. And if god forbid it gets stolen, damaged, etc, I am not too worried because I didnt spend thousands of dollars for it. But in the end materialistic goods only can make most people happy for a moment. I think the chase is more of a thrill then once you get it.

Atlas_Shrugged

Known Member
5/11/20
SoCal/Salt Lake City
I misread and thought you said Sea Dweller. I’m like how can he not be happy paying 4700 for it. But I caught on real quick when you said you got it at an AD. Lol I understand your thunking though. Reps are so good now. I’m looking at getting a gen James Cameron and Batman. I’m not sure how I will feel when I get them. I have the reps and they are gorgeous. But I’m also thinking of the future. Maybe I can get these watches, have the enjoyment of wearing them and if I ever need the money maybe they will be at least worth what I paid for them. But at the same time I can see myself wearing my rep more out of fear of damaging the gen, which makes no sense.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
This is a very good read pete_od9 Thanks for sharing.

I don't know how many times I was tempted to go gen and contemplated the thought, only to hold myself back a short while after,
because it is exactly as you and the others said in this thread: The reps are SO GOOD. And if one of them isn't, then.... well, too bad,
but it's not the end of the world. A friend of mine had issues with his gen Chopard (it just stopped!) and paid more for the repair job
than I would put down for a whole new high end rep.

It gives me so much pleasure to hold a new piece in my hands. With reps I can enjoy that moment every now and again.
And when the feeling fades and the watch has become another loved piece of my collection, I can set my eyes on the next one
without feeling bad. Anyway, that's how I feel about it.

Reactions: pete_od9

getinthere

Looking Around
10/5/21
Great looking Seamaster! In my understanding, investment aside, people buy watches for the form, function or emotion.

I think of reps as toy watches. Reps are actually something that I wear as a middle finger to those people who fall for brand marketing. Of course, I admire the dial, the case and the bracelet but there is no way of justifying a simple date SS model at prices higher than retail. Sometimes I am even embarrassed to put on rep RO or Sub, and it's not because I don't have the wealth to pull it off. It's actually because they would make me look obnoxious when people actually know about the prices of those SS models.

In the end of the day, to me true value lies in movements. There is beauty in chronographs, annual calendar etc.

And of course, the emotion and feeling of buying and wearing a special time piece. Every watch has different meaning to different people. Although it's unlikely that I pay higher than retail for a Rolex sports model, I feel happy for anyone who truly likes the watch and pulled the trigger knowingly for its high price. How much you spent shows how much you value your piece. In a parallel world when reps and gens are the same quality just made out of different factories, true lovers are still willing to pay higher for the gen. It's the same idea that hard fought victories taste sweeter and last longer.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
The main difference between Gen and Rep can - but dont have to - be the emotions you transport on the watch. If you get a Gen from your father at your diploma or your wedding, the watchs reminds you at your father and the event for your whole life. Or if you have a grail watch and put money aside for years and years and then you can afford your grail, you have a special connection. If you just buy a Gen, like you buy a Rep, cause it looks nice and it doesnt hurt you financialy you may never have this special connection. And then the Rep may be the better choice. But you will never have this special connection to a Rep ... at least if isnt a "Rep-Grail" hard to get or Franken-Project, in which you put much feelings ;-)

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
pete_od9
Am sorry you're feeling like this, it sucks.
The ultimate case of buyers regret :-(

If you only got it a few days ago, is it possible to return?
Sometimes theres a cooling off period. Or maybe you take a small loss, but if you feel angry having plowed nearly $5k into it, maybe take the small loss and move on?

If you're questioning your decision now, I'd cut your losses, but that's just me.

I agree with what JayBee0815 said 100% btw.

Sounds like you didnt buy the watch to mark a special occasion?

But doesnt sound like you're getting the expected thrill after such a significant purchase.

On the Flipside if you sell/return, you could get 8-10 reps in its place :)

Reactions: JayBee0815

Samabux

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/5/17
Texas
It’s a beautiful watch. I hope you can enjoy it. Like others have said, you’re probably experiencing buyer’s remorse. We’ve all most likely been there for one reason or another.
I guess I feel differently than some. I never regret buying my gen 5 digit sub. It’s something I’ll leave to my son and hopefully onward. My wife will do the same with hers to my daughter.
I have a couple of reps - one a JF 16610LN that is a great watch - practically indistinguishable from the gen on the wrist, which is an accomplishment in itself, but there’s something to say about the history, craftsmanship and heritage of the gen - Intangible attributes that aren’t easily reproduced.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: pete_od9

pete_od9

Horology Curious
20/5/21
Thanks so much for everyone's comment. It helps! After I expressed it out, I think I can enjoy the piece more, both rep Yachtmaster and gen Seamaster without guilt. I know that I'm not alone around here, or at least, I got to talk to people who appreciate both gen and rep. Where I'm from, people despise rep watches, understandable from a legal point of view. If I wanna talk about this rep vs gen feeling, I'll be shamed by colleagues, friends, or others. I kind of feel like this place is a sanctuary for rep owners.

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Bro, if you love the style of the watch. Keep it. It's a milestone. You can always buy a rep of the same watch to wear as a daily beater and not freak when you smash the gen into a table or other hard object as you stroll by.. :blink:​​​​​​. I wore the piss out of my "Dress up" Breitling, then found reps I can wear more often and not worry about inadvertently smashing them. Well, I still do lol. I finally sent that Breitling into service and repair... $800...something to think about down the road. It ain't cheap. Wear those reps and save your loved grail watch for those special occasions. It's not gonna lose it's value to you if it had meaning when you got it.

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
Gen holds value though. That $4700 you paid is still there. Also you have the peace of mind that the watch can last longer than you.
You have a point but for the money you're also going to pay for service for making it last a lifetime and maybe extra insurance it would be much, much cheaper just to buy an identical rep ever 5 year.

I have/had the exact problem as OP when I bought Rolex 116613LB. Even if my happiness lasted a few weeks longer than his lol.

Reactions: CarmeloAnthony

CarmeloAnthony

17/5/20
Portland
You have a point but for the money you're also going to pay for service for making it last a lifetime and maybe extra insurance it would be much, much cheaper just to buy an identical rep ever 5 year.

I have/had the exact problem as OP when I bought Rolex 116613LB. Even if my happiness lasted a few weeks longer than his lol.

Thats true and of course if reps make you happy or gens make you happy, do as you please! But with reps theres the uncertainty of factories and parts etc. Who knows if VSF subs will be around in 5 years. The service doesn't cost THAT much compared to the price of the watch. My gen Breitling serviced for $150 lol. My cousin’s APROO serviced for $300. But yes, for that price you can almost get another rep. No right answer here.

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
Thats true and of course if reps make you happy or gens make you happy, do as you please! But with reps theres the uncertainty of factories and parts etc. Who knows if VSF subs will be around in 5 years. The service doesn't cost THAT much compared to the price of the watch. My gen Breitling serviced for $150 lol. My cousin’s APROO serviced for $300. But yes, for that price you can almost get another rep. No right answer here.
Well if you can get a full good service for that price then you should be happy. Usually they cost quite more. Don't know if VSF will be around but they often use clone movements where parts can be changed to gen in the future. And the popular movement A2826/2824 for many other reps is not hard to source.