• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RAIDS happening - message from reddit dealer

TheDonSL

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/13
I wouldn't necessarily say the industry is collapsing. As long as there is demand there will be and industry to supply it. No doubt this is a setback, but a complete collapse? I don't see it.

It’s been 7-8 months though with major raids with no end in sight, Noob and VSF gone, most makers not working or as much in fear of getting caught. I’d say it’s collapsing or time to move shop…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
Probably time to move shop which is completely different than industry collapse. As long as there is demand there will be industry to supply it. The horse and buggy industry collapsed. Rep watch industry collapse is unlikely.

Last edited:

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
It's still around Just like the rep industry will ...

You can still find a horse and buggy, sure. But its not an 'industry' in the sense that we are talking about industry. And yes, as long as there is demand (and I don't foresee that going away) there will be a rep industry to supply it. Which was my point in the first place.

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
They're not shut down, they're just not making rep movements and the new boss isn't keen on doing so either.

This will impose a huge impact on the high quality rep market.
Who knows if VR will be the next one to declare stop making rep movements.

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
A masterstroke by Rolex and the Chinese government.

Instead of wasting time with patent law and copyright infringements with multiple makers - in China, where patent law is blurry - quicker to shut down the movement factories.

Without good movements, the watches won’t sell in high numbers - now that people are used to good quality Rolex rep calibers, likely that many wont go back to ETA based builds.

Also parts that have been manufactured for 3135/3235 won’t be straight swaps to ETA - e.g hand sizes, date window placements etc. are different.

VS 3135/3235 might have precipitated this - the quality of the movements were excellent. I’d say VR/SH/SA will be the next movement factories to be targeted.

Last edited:

bertieng

I'm Pretty Popular
26/11/18
The Chinese govt this time really takes a big hit on reps. By killing the heart - rep movements, the rep watch factories will just die off by themselves even without being raided.
The Chinese knew for long what would be the killing blow of the rep industry, it's just a matter if they will pull the trigger. This time they have.