• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Life after Brexit

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/6/14
I know pre brexit Sead had UK stock but I don’t know now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
Hello
Which one do you suggest for a m2m Daytona from un to italy? Better DHL or DPD? Return goods for repair?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
1/6/14
Do you mean UK to EU?

Neither is safe I’m afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
I also posted this in another UK>EU thread.
It is safe to conclude that UK > EU sending is no longer 100% "customs-free" like prior Brexit.
It is just matter of chance and pure luck will your package pass without issues or not, BUT nobody can guarantee anything.
In smaller EU countries like mine, there is a 99% chance that UK package will be stopped, checked and taxed (or destroyed if customs declare content as counterfeit).
Anyone know some TD that moved EU stock or triangle shipping on EU soil ?
Thanks !

I think it's 50% for sure and no , it's just a matter of luck as you rightly said

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
U.K. to EU is not 100% safe (why would it be?).

Best to include a repair invoice or letter stating that it’s a return.

They won’t know it’s a rep but would expect you to pay tax on the value of gen. might ask you to prove you sent it out and are not importing a £60k gen

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Journeyman

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
U.K. to EU is not 100% safe (why would it be?).

Best to include a repair invoice or letter stating that it’s a return.

They won’t know it’s a rep but would expect you to pay tax on the value of gen. might ask you to prove you sent it out and are not importing a £60k gen

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Thank you for your feedback.
I can ask to include some broken parts or gaskets and write return after repair and service, is it right? Which one you suggest between DPD and DHL?

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
Sadly for stuff coming into the UK, there is no compromise, its not about avoiding duty, duty is only charged on over £135 (I think, maybe) the courier’s are playing silly games and adding handling fees before the item has left the sending country. If you’ve already paid duty in the EU, you shouldn’t have to pay it again in the UK and then courier stealth fees on top.
There is no duty on watches, just vat so its 20 percent unless its declared as a gift, ive bought 2 watches from the eu in the last week and as far as I'm aware uk customs are still not implementing the new rules until April 1st, also I have shipped 3 watches to Italy since brexit and as long as you're sensible and declare a reasonable value like £100 and mark as a gift and either old mechanical watch or broken watch for repair on the customs form you should be fine, also in case they do open to look wrap the watch in cling film so you can't see the branding,
If they open it which is unlikely they just want to see that it is actually a watch and with hundreds of packages to look thru i very much doubt they will check that close

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
There is no duty on watches, just vat so its 20 percent unless its declared as a gift, ive bought 2 watches from the eu in the last week and as far as I'm aware uk customs are still not implementing the new rules until April 1st, also I have shipped 3 watches to Italy since brexit and as long as you're sensible and declare a reasonable value like £100 and mark as a gift and either old mechanical watch or broken watch for repair on the customs form you should be fine, also in case they do open to look wrap the watch in cling film so you can't see the branding,
If they open it which is unlikely they just want to see that it is actually a watch and with hundreds of packages to look thru i very much doubt they will check that close

So I should pay vat on 100£?
For me could be reasonable if this avoid seizure and other problems

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
So I should pay vat on 100£?
For me could be reasonable if this avoid seizure and other problems

If its declared as a gift you should be vat free (I think that's up to £135)
Uk customs aren't too bad,

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12

Gift .....are the first ones to be checked .....,.

Alhig72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
15/11/16
UK
Gift .....are the first ones to be checked .....,.
I think it depends on the country, so far it's been ok for everything I've sent out since brexit but nothing is 100 percent, I think you have to be pretty damn unlucky if they open your package out of the thousands that go thru every day,

rangan

Renowned Member
8/4/12
I think it depends on the country, so far it's been ok for everything I've sent out since brexit but nothing is 100 percent, I think you have to be pretty damn unlucky if they open your package out of the thousands that go thru every day,

Yes it depends on the country, but consider that if there is the customs all parcels, letters and other pass (this happens after 9/11/2001 twin towers) under a scanner that sees everything, of course not check everything would be a huge job, but it will never be '100% sure, then there are many others factors that can affect a control, size, weight, country of origin, but the certainty there will never be' never, in any case "GIFT" is never recommended where there is 'customs, who controls knows it well......

HelenBK27

27/6/18
UK

I think your right. U.K. customs, at least in my experience, aren't too bad, but the level of risk involved, since Brexit, is somewhat amplified. Hopefully things will settle down, sooner rather than later.