• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Life after Brexit

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience or an understanding of what happens when sending watches to modders outside of the UK and what happens when the watchers are returned, ie confiscation, duty?

So, I've heard all sorts of horror stories, like all items sent from outside of the EU (which now the customs union is over, we are) to Germany are scanned, examined and if theres a whisker of doubt about its authenticity... its destroyed, then if they make it to the modder and are then returned, either UK C&E either destroy them or charge duty and the courier applies admin fees.

I've finally finished collecting parts for a GMT build and I really don't want to send it to Domi for them to be either confiscated or destroyed.

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
I have sent and received several items some gen some rep with not issues (UK-EU), if you use royal mail the massive volume of packets serve to pass underground ( its what i think) but customs like germany and italy can be complicated sometimes, and that was even before the brexit ( according o multiple forums membersd exp from those lovely countries), for italy several friends there recommend to use DHL ( which i think its a german company) but risk will always be there, if you are shipping gen parts there should be not problems, just declare as returned goods so they cant charge taxes or demand invoices, that why i always send items with the faux letter of "for repair" from the the famous thread of "how to ship you watches for noobs". hope it helps.

Reactions: Journeyman

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
Hello,
I’m in the process of buying an used noob 116520 from UK, I’m in Italy, which kind of shipment do you suggest? I would prefer a fast courier like DHL, is it affordable? Maybe DPD? It could be sent like watch for repair, including some broken parts or gasket, what do you think?
Regards

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I recently had two shipments from UK stopped by customs asking me for paperwork, payment proof and link to sale, copy of communication regarding sale, or something similar that can prove the correlation between item/payment proof (!).

All I can say that the stress level is so high bcs all of this s*+t that I am not going to order outside EU anytime soon. Needless to say that both items were/are sold out reps and in case of seizure is direct loss of $ and watches (hard to find replacements).

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
Thanks d4v3.

Previously, it wouldnt have been an issue as I used to visit Frankfurt once a month so could have put it in my hand luggage and then sent it internally using Deutsche Post and then got Domi to ship it to my hotel when I went out to Germany again.

Lovegmt73, to be honest, I think you'd ok using Royal Mail.

First world problems, I know, but I don't think anyone had any idea how much impact Brexit would have on simple stuff like getting your fake watch modded.

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
Thanks d4v3.

Previously, it wouldnt have been an issue as I used to visit Frankfurt once a month so could have put it in my hand luggage and then sent it internally using Deutsche Post and then got Domi to ship it to my hotel when I went out to Germany again.

Lovegmt73, to be honest, I think you'd ok using Royal Mail.

First world problems, I know, but I don't think anyone had any idea how much impact Brexit would have on simple stuff like getting your fake watch modded.

Journeyman thank you for your point.
Which one is the best Royal Mail parcel service?
The fastest and safest, by air for example?
Regards

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
Journeyman thank you for your point.
Which one is the best Royal Mail parcel service?
The fastest and safest, by air for example?
Regards

I've shipped loads of stuff to the US without issue, I just mark the item as a Machine Part and send it normal Royal Mail "Tracked and signed" thats the service name of the product and providing it gets into the Italian postal system, you should be ok.

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
I recently had two shipments from UK stopped by customs asking me for paperwork, payment proof and link to sale, copy of communication regarding sale, or something similar that can prove the correlation between item/payment proof (!).

All I can say that the stress level is so high bcs all of this s*+t that I am not going to order outside EU anytime soon. Needless to say that both items were/are sold out reps and in case of seizure is direct loss of $ and watches (hard to find replacements).

Yep, just learned that some reading glasses that I ordered from Italy, before they even left Italian soil, DHL want customs payment, fair enough, we have to pay duties/tax but what isn't fair is that DHL also want to charge me a "PaymentDefermentRisk" charge of 25% of the Tax amount. So anyone out there in the not so United Kingdom considering doing any business with EU......buyer beware.

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU

Royal mail? Or DHL?

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
What I understood is that DHL express has a dedicated custom procedures, so I think that if you buy a m2m used watch, you put some parts or gaskets and declare return goods for repair or service it should work... or maybe declare some more than 20$ like many do, what do you think?
Regards

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
I think that we must find the good compromise to obtain our beauties... customs want receive something, so why not declare 50 or 90£ and pay around the 30% (vat and duties) ?
What do you think?

Martini3804

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/1/21
I’m based in the uk and have been waiting to receive a watch i bough from a fellow board member in Austria. He sent it on the 6th Feb and still no sign of it whatsoever. 11 days now, so i am starting to get a bit twitchy. I will let you know if it ever arrives...

I’m based in the uk and have been waiting to receive a watch i bough from a fellow board member in Austria. He sent it on the 6th Feb and still no sign of it whatsoever. 11 days now, so i am starting to get a bit twitchy. I will let you know if it ever arrives...

I wouldn't start to worry yet, I think there is a tax to be paid on goods from Oz so it's most likely in a queue at the handlers.

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14
I think that we must find the good compromise to obtain our beauties... customs want receive something, so why not declare 50 or 90£ and pay around the 30% (vat and duties) ?
What do you think?

Sadly for stuff coming into the UK, there is no compromise, its not about avoiding duty, duty is only charged on over £135 (I think, maybe) the courier’s are playing silly games and adding handling fees before the item has left the sending country. If you’ve already paid duty in the EU, you shouldn’t have to pay it again in the UK and then courier stealth fees on top.

Journeyman

Renowned Member
Certified
1/6/14

Nice avatar CUMDMC, nearly choked on my tea.

As has been said, be patient, the recent white stuff will have delayed it a bit, keep checking the tracking websites.

Matty369

Supporter
Certified
24/8/16
EU
I also posted this in another UK>EU thread.
It is safe to conclude that UK > EU sending is no longer 100% "customs-free" like prior Brexit.
It is just matter of chance and pure luck will your package pass without issues or not, BUT nobody can guarantee anything.
In smaller EU countries like mine, there is a 99% chance that UK package will be stopped, checked and taxed (or destroyed if customs declare content as counterfeit).
Anyone know some TD that moved EU stock or triangle shipping on EU soil ?
Thanks !