• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Timegrapher Reading Help

flyinhawaiian

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/12/20
USA
Howdy all,

I had a question about timegrapher readings and I would love if I could get an explanation of what I am looking at. Before I get roasted I want to make clear I've made an effort to figure it out myself by reading this and page 14 of this but I am still in need of advice.

Basically the timegrapher rate reading on a watch I ordered starts at +2s, then increases to +5s, then to +7s in the span of 13 seconds in a QC video I was provided. The timegrapher line has an upwards curve. I am wondering if this upwards curve is indicative of a defect with the movement meaning it needs immediate work done for it to function properly. Is this a serious issue that I should RL? Should I ask for a longer reading?

To clarify, I am NOT trying to be picky and get a rep that's within COSC standards. That doesn't concern me at all. What I am worried about is the variance in rate readings and the fact that the timegrapher chart line has a curve to it, rather than being a straight line. In the Witschi guide, the graphs that show movements that are in fine condition but just moving slow/fast all show the timegrapher lines as straight, whereas curved lines seem to indicate damage. Mine isn't as wavy as some of the examples provided by Witschi, but it has a curve nonetheless. I'm concerned that if the curve follows this trajectory, the watch will have major problems keeping time. Can someone a little more well versed on the topic explain what is going on here?

Photo of the timegrapher reading in question:

ZtNKaY.png

Video:

Thanks for reading and for your input!

Last edited:

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
Can't see your video but a couple things on timegraphers:

1. Some movements take some time to settle in to their position. So, for instance, immediately timing a watch when it's first put into position or on to the timegrapher may result in varying beat rate and amplitude. Generally speaking lower quality movements take longer to settle into their position.

2. What's important is the reading over 60-120 seconds. Does it create a sign wave? Does it settle into a straight line? Does one line vary? Depending on the results over a longer duration than 13-seconds will provide you with insights into the movement health.

3. Watches, again lower quality movements, will have widely different readings depending on orientation. A reading from one position doesn't necessarily provide you with the timekeeping capabilities of a watch.

flyinhawaiian

24/12/20
USA
Can't see your video but a couple things on timegraphers:

The video link didn't work for some reason so I uploaded an image instead. I also added the video again and it works now.

Thank you so much for the detailed response! Judging by what I just put up there would you say this is a case of 'settling in' or something more serious? Would you recommend I ask for a timegrapher reading over a longer duration to see if any of the aforementioned patterns form?

Last edited:

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
In my highly-trained, professional armchair watchmaker opinion: Looks like the movement is a little dirty but generally fine. You could ask for a plot over 60-seconds to confirm it's not going to sine wave down. I doubt it will.

DkHelmet

21/7/20
Southeast PA, US
I recently picked up a Weishi 1000; for how much it costs to regulate a watch it's easier to just do at home.

From what I learned from the youtubes and reading the interwebnets, as well as fussing over my watches over the past few weeks, yours looks fine. The skew from 2 to 5 to 5 is a walking average, with the +7 being the current 12 second average. Hanski's right, 12 seconds is pretty lame but no TD is going to let it settle in for 20 minutes after a full wind. The 0.0 is your beat error, or the difference between the tick and tock. 0 is excellent. 275° is at the low end of excellent. +7 seconds is excellent.

What you want to avoid is large beat errors (the single line diverges to two), sine waves, and variance in beat error and the time error wildly drifting. Yours looks fine; better than a lot of mine. Do some Googlin' on timegraphers and regulation.

What will happen is the real short sample they do plus month long shipping usually means the Chinese replica movement (read: not Swiss) will differ when you get it. If you're pedantic like me, a cheap timegrapher from Amazon, a Bergeron 8008, some tweezers and a loupe and you're back in business.

DkHelmet

21/7/20
Southeast PA, US
Double post, but with pictures! This is my Sturmanskie, which being Russian is like a Chinese rep but with less quality control. The first pic you can see that it's pretty steep. The second has a few interruptions as I move it around, so there's weird pauses. But it's distinctly less diagonal. Almost no beat error, which is good.

Before:
ZtGbhK.jpg

After:

ZtGSR8.jpg

Last edited:

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
Rate
How fast / slow the movement runs (in seconds per day)

great : +/- 5 s/d
acceptable : +/- 12 s/d

If higher / lower?
It is possible to adjust this yourself or ask your dealer to nudge it a bit.

Amplitude
The measure of the amount of rotation in the swing of the balance wheel, in either direction.
Amplitude is higher when a watch is lying flat and usually falls when the watch is in a vertical position, due to increased friction. Amplitude can also fall as the watch winds down and the mainspring delivers less power.
Amplitude is a good indicator of the movements health and if is too high or too low, or that changes too much in different positions, can indicate a problem with the movement.

great : 270-310
acceptable : 250-270

If higher / lower?
Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced

Beat Error
The amount of time by which the duration of swing differs from one side to the other in the oscillation of a balance wheel. Generally speaking to get a beat error of zero, the roller jewel in the pallet fork must be perfectly centered.

great : 0.0-0.5 ms
acceptable : 0.6-1 ms

If higher?
Ask for a different watch or have your watch serviced.

* Please note that if you are reading your QC from the dealer, you will generally receive only the results of the watch lying flat. All the above recommended measurements are from that position. The measurements in other positions may vary

Reactions: Roadster

flyinhawaiian

24/12/20
USA
Thanks for all the helpful responses! Really appreciate yalls input and willingness to share info