• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

D H Gate - Air King Bargain

Making a D H Gate purchase is rolling the dice. At $75.00 and free shipping I have no complaints with this Air King. 40mm, 2813. I decided on the purchase as a bit of a lark figuring there wasn't a lot to lose but the result is pretty pleasing. I'm surprised at the overall quality - it's never going to be confused with a gen but considering the low cost - what the heck.

Should anyone be interested PM for the link

Reactions: Bill_C and KOT1917

dksen2

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/5/10
I'm trying to articulate carefully now ... :p ... what to do with this?

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I like that you like it. But i don't understand, why not spend 100 or 200 more and actually get something that looks the part.

​​​​​​

I like that you like it. But i don't understand, why not spend 100 or 200 more and actually get something that looks the part.

​​​​​​

In the first place there is practically nothing that is available from the TDs for 100 more and little for 200 more. I have several reps from TDs that I paid considerably more than 100 or 200 more and presently waiting on a shipment from TT for a rep that I paid considerably more than 200 more. So to explain and set your mind at ease the Air King is not a model I pined over and would not pay TD prices to own one. Like I said the D H Gate purchase was a dice roll and I rolled a 7. If it's not your game then I respect that but there are many members here that own DH Gate & Ali watches in addition to their better quality TD reps.

As an afterthought I'd appreciate it if you or anyone else could kindly point out any flaws that don't "Look the part". Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Glaude

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
In the first place there is practically nothing that is available from the TDs for 100 more and little for 200 more. I have several reps from TDs that I paid considerably more than 100 or 200 more and presently waiting on a shipment from TT for a rep that I paid considerably more than 200 more. So to explain and set your mind at ease the Air King is not a model I pined over and would not pay TD prices to own one. Like I said the D H Gate purchase was a dice roll and I rolled a 7. If it's not your game then I respect that but there are many members here that own DH Gate & Ali watches in addition to their better quality TD reps.

As an afterthought I'd appreciate it if you or anyone else could kindly point out any flaws that don't "Look the part". Thanks.

The bezel, the case, the dial, the bracelet. Also the size, the rehaut, the crystal, the crown.

also:

https://www.intime05.co/promotions/...-edition-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a2836.html

https://www.intime05.co/rollie/3997...16-bp-best-edition-on-ss-bracelet-sa3131.html

Reactions: miscusi and dksen2

I'm really impressed with your expertise that from those rather poor quality photos you can see issues in all those areas - even the size. However, I do appreciate your critique and could you please describe the actual deficiencies you see. Be specific.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I'm really impressed with your expertise that from those rather poor quality photos you can see issues in all those areas - even the size. However, I do appreciate your critique and could you please describe the actual deficiencies you see. Be specific.

The bezel is too thick

The case dimensions and proportions are wrong

The bracelet is not the correct size and the SEL is very bad.

The dial is too narrow or the print too big, one of the two. But the spacing is totally off.

The rehaut is too wide and also too angled.

The crystal is milky.

The crown is too big.

Now, as I mentioned above I did not mean to belittle this by any way, I said I like that you like it.

​​​​​​It just doesn't look anything like the watch it is supposed to be. It's like wearing an ice watch and saying it looks like submariner.

​​​​​

Reactions: miscusi

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA
Can you go to Rolex. com and look for AirKing and then come back and look at your so called AirKing monstrosity and you'll understand everything. Can't believe you are asking for flaws.

Last edited:

UnluckyXIII

Known Member
22/8/17
Beyond the other areas addressed above:-

“Air King” font looks wrong to me (hard to say as it’s obstructed) but the top of your “g” is rounded, gen should be more square, beyond that the spacing, position and size of the print looks a little off too.

Hands are a little bulky too (especially the minute one).

Rehaut looks misaligned at the 12 o’clock (although looks “ok” through the rest of the watch).

There will be other elements especially if viewed under a loupe, to be fair it would possibly pass at a distance or a quick glance but once you start to break it down and spend sometime reviewing the watch it’s riddled with flaws. I think the advice of adding that bit more and getting something from a TD is what the majority of people should look to do, unfortunately on this occasion (although cheap) it’s a bit of a lemon ????

Can you go to Rolex. com and look for AirKing and then come back and look at your so called AirKing monstrosity and you'll understand everything. Can't believe you are asking for flaws.

WHOA WHOA guys - I never ever said it didn't have flaws. Of course it has flaws it's a DH Gate special. I did say it would never be confused with a gen. What I asked out of curiosity is what flaws were seen through those low quality photos. I'm not arguing against or disagreeing with any of your observations but I don't think the SELs are all that "bad" - I've seen worse, I don't own a micrometer to verify it but the bracelet when compared physically to my TD Rollies appears as the same size, the crystal is not milky as it might appear in the photo. However riddled with flaws examined with a loupe would disclose I don't care. It's much better than I expected for $75 from D H Gate and I can wear it chopping wood or cleaning the stables without worrying about it. I can reiterate that the Air King is not a model I would pay TD prices for as I don't much care for the face design / layout. If I ever acquire all the (quality) reps I'd like to own maybe then I'd consider an Air King but until that happens I'll settle for this "lemon". That's just me but to each his own.

Thanks to all for your interest and input.

Reactions: Bill_C and Glaude

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Wow it seems like we have got pretty picky for a rep site. Sure the TD offerings are better quality and more faithful to the original but they are still fake watches and no replica is perfect no matter how much you pay for it. I am not familiar with the airking but it looks like a nice little watch to me.

5FWlR.jpg

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17

He shared his finding, a cheap watch looking good for the price, for anyone interested in the same model without wanting to spend a lot of money on it, just to see if they really like it for example before going the more expensive route.
At no point in his original post he asked for flaws, he was jumped on for this, he answered and defended his view quite well.

You on the other hand, were just rude, for no reason.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I've got multiple high priced genuine watches and some of my favorites are total fantasy replica watches that I pieced together because I like my version more than the original. I've got 3 panerai this way, 1 omega, and 1 rolex.

Cool find for a good price! If you get sick of it one day give me a pm, I might buy it from you.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
He shared his finding, a cheap watch looking good for the price, for anyone interested in the same model without wanting to spend a lot of money on it, just to see if they really like it for example before going the more expensive route.
At no point in his original post he asked for flaws, he was jumped on for this, he answered and defended his view quite well.

I didn't at any point mean to belittle his watch.
i started saying I liked that he likes it, but didn't understand why not invest more for a more accurate one.

He asked for the flaws, i answered

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA

I just told to just have a look at real AirKing and his watch and half the differences will scream. Is that rude, lol?

I read this below comment and replied.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
The bezel is too thick

The case dimensions and proportions are wrong

The bracelet is not the correct size and the SEL is very bad.

The dial is too narrow or the print too big, one of the two. But the spacing is totally off.

The rehaut is too wide and also too angled.

The crystal is milky.

The crown is too big.

Now, as I mentioned above I did not mean to belittle this by any way, I said I like that you like it.

​​​​​​It just doesn't look anything like the watch it is supposed to be. It's like wearing an ice watch and saying it looks like submariner.

​​​​​

Who gives a flying fuck? Its his, he's happy so why pull it apart? Folk are getting way to anal these days.

Ecy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/7/19
Making a D H Gate purchase is rolling the dice. At $75.00 and free shipping I have no complaints with this Air King. 40mm, 2813. I decided on the purchase as a bit of a lark figuring there wasn't a lot to lose but the result is pretty pleasing. I'm surprised at the overall quality - it's never going to be confused with a gen but considering the low cost - what the heck.

Should anyone be interested PM for the link

I would like to dispute the 'won't pass for Gen.' So hear me out.

I dont believe I have ever handled a Gen Air King. I do have some memory issues from my younger years, just to quantify that statement. I have handled and owned other Rolex models. I also wear glasses. But I do in fact pay attention to watches.

I dont care if you wear a rep, if I spot it I either know what I am looking for or its bad, and I want to talk about it. I just like watches. I also like Gen, Micro Brands, hand made / custom, etc.

If I saw this on your wrist and you were:

1. Not Drawing attention to it.
2. Not showing it off for status.
3. Acting like a normal person.

I wouldnt question if it were Gen. I may ask why you chose an Air King as I dislike the dial (Minutes and hours) and all would be good in the world.

Dispite my caveats, if I wanted to I could stare at your watch like a weirdo and look at SEL's, finish, etc and figure out it isnt Gen. But will I or 99% of the population? No.

Normal people spot fakes based on the person or they are horrible. If you drive a GEO Metro, work at McDonalds, and have old / dirty shoes (something people pay more attention to), they may look at your watch.

The watch is 1/3'rd price of 'better' reps and something like 1/90th the price of a Gen, if you can find one from Rolex.

Long and short of it, wear it and enjoy it.