• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

UK Buyers Beware - Scammers

UnluckyXIII

Known Member
22/8/17
Hey,

Just a general heads up for any UK buyers (especially those new to the rep game), the telephone scams are doing the rounds again and the current one is a pre-recorded message claiming you have something held at customs and if you don’t press “1” a warrant will be issued for your arrest. Don’t be fooled, definitely don’t press “1” and just simply hang up, if anything gets held at customs this isn’t the process that’s used in the UK to progress it forward.

Good luck, stay safe and be vigilant,
XIII

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
:rofl:

Press 1 to not go to jail
Press 2 to go the next strip club
Press 3 to get a motherload of watches delivered to your door
Press 4 to be on top of every watch dealer waiting list

RWI people :

Z8jw23.jpg

Z8j4ns.jpg

UnluckyXIII

Known Member
22/8/17
I usually get calls from Virgin Media, HMRC and Barclays bank....

It’s the first one I’ve had saying something is held in customs, usually it’s that my Amazon Prime has expired, my Internet is going to be cutoff or a transaction for “x” has been placed against my back account and to press a button to stop this transaction. I’m guessing when you press the button it connects you to a premium rate line or something of that nature.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
How does this scam work further if someone will press "1" ?

UnluckyXIII

Known Member
22/8/17
How does this scam work further if someone will press "1" ?

At a guess pressing “1” confirms acceptance of something, most likely to dial into a premium rate / international line, or they look to extract information to setup other means to defraud the person at the end of the call.

There’s a few articles about it from the last few years.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/you-receive-phone-call-hang-17596068

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/17740323.press-one-phone-scam-warning/

It might not be that common but I wouldn’t want to see anyone on here fall victim to the scam.

Reactions: k4jun
On these calls if I'm not busy which I'm usually not these days I do press 1. Then I have some fun and a few giggles by stringing the mark along as long as they let me before they eventually hang up on me. I've actually had a couple tell me to go f***k myself. One guy actually told me he was going to do something nasty to my mother. I said I guess that makes you a necrophiliac. He said yea what's that. I said look it up and hung up..