• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DHL customs clearance Help

On3LoV3

Horology Curious
8/12/20
Hello everybody

I have been reading silently for about 2 years and in December I decided to register here in the forum and order a replica watch from a TD. Unfortunately my english is not that good and i use google translator.

So far so good.
I live in the middle of Europe, I was always afraid that the clock would get stuck at customs. A good friend of mine travels to Turkey on business almost every month and also has a residence there, I thought it would be safer to send the watch to him in Turkey. Since Turkey is known for bazaars. As it turned out in retrospect, it was a very bad idea :(

At the beginning of December I ordered a Rolex Sub 11610LV from a TD. I wanted to see what a better replica watch looks like in real life. The payment was perfect and a short time later I also got the QC photos and gave him the ok. After about 8-10 days the tracking number finally came. Two weeks nothing happened and the watch was suddenly in Riyadh Saudi Arabia. For me, this was strange but ok. In the forum I read other Members have the same way also went via Riyadh.

Yesterday it finally went on and my friend suddenly had a letter from DHL in the mailbox. The letter said that the watch was going to customs clearance and that they had to know the exact price of this watch. What should I tell them now? The price for the watch of around $ 300? What fees will I have to pay? Will they confiscate the watch? I've heard it can get more expensive depending on the customs officer. That I have to pay taxes on the price of a gen 11610LV.

Do you have ideas how I should proceed? My TD said the watch had not been confiscated yet. I should inform them that it would be a present from the Far East or that the watch was in repair. They don't believe me anyway. Maybe someone has already similar experience. How should I proceed? Should I not respond to the request at all? My friend could play stupid and say that he doesn't expect anything.

I am already grateful for your help. I don't want a customs officer suddenly walking around with my watch ;)

Best wishes

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
If it was me, I would tell them exactly how much was paid for it, and let the chips fall where they may.

Levi2019

Supporter
Certified
19/12/19
If you do nothing watch will be confiscated / held you need to tell them it's either a gift or for repair they won't have opened parcel / package but you do need an invoice / proof it's for repair / gift. No offence the TD should not be sending using DHL as they are well known for stopping watches and to be honest your TD should resend at their expense as this is the common practice with most TD's good luck

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Do not contact DHL or customs. Contact only your TD. Were you a RWI member when you ordered the watch? What is your TD's policies regarding watches seized by customs? Best of luck.

On3LoV3

Horology Curious
8/12/20
Thank you Guys.

I was in contact with my TD (Andrew TrustyTime) and he told me to tell me about the repair or the exact amount I paid.
Andrew insists that I reply to DHL as the watch has not yet been confiscated.

Before the watch was sent, Andrew replied to my question with what he was sending to Turkey with: Shipments to Turkey is usually via a special airmail service to ensure that package gets to you.
Now the package came with DHL anyway.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You need to know what the laws are in Turkey regarding the importation of counterfeit goods. My understanding is that it is not illegal to import counterfeit goods, therefore just provide proof of what you paid for the watch.
I may be wrong though, if counterfeits are illegal in Turkey then you will probably be fined for the watch and it will be destroyed. You need to find out if a counterfeit import is legal or not.

UnluckyXIII

Known Member
22/8/17
Sometimes the TD might not be to blame for the courier used, a lot of companies forward through 3rd parties once it leaves its country of origin (my watch has been dispatched via Yanwen but will arrive under Royal Mail).

First and foremost, do not claim that the watch has been sent for repair, this only opens the door for further complications as you will then be asked to produce the original export documentation for when the watch was first sent out and what CPC code was used for the exporting of the goods (obviously you don’t have any of this).

You need to look into local legislation around importing counterfeit goods, for Turkey I would assume this is a none-issue but still best to get actual confirmation, once confirmed that this isn’t an illegal activity you should simply be able to inform them what has been paid for the goods and if there are any additional costs to be levied they’ll apply them.

TD’s should be completing the appropriate paperwork to ensure this doesn’t occur, tbh I’m unsure how it would clear exports without the relevant documentation in place.

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
Mate, I think you have nothing to worry about. It happens very often with DHL. Something similar happened to me last year when buying a modded Seiko from Singapore. They don't even open a package. Just make your TD (or a friend in China/Saudi) prepare an invoice stating how much you paid (so $300usd) and you will pay customs from that price (approx. 20 usd i guess?) and that's it.

On3LoV3

Horology Curious
8/12/20
Thank you all.

I tried the last few days to find out whether it is illegal to import a fake.
Unfortunately, I don't understand Turkish and google couldn't help me with the law there.
My friend hasn't been able to help me either.

Does anyone know if importing is a criminal offense or not?
Does it have here in the forum Turkish compatriots who can help me?

PG7777

Known Member
27/1/19
Mate, I think you have nothing to worry about. It happens very often with DHL. Something similar happened to me last year when buying a modded Seiko from Singapore. They don't even open a package. Just make your TD (or a friend in China/Saudi) prepare an invoice stating how much you paid (so $300usd) and you will pay customs from that price (approx. 20 usd i guess?) and that's it.

Well, then you have been extremely lucky !
Because most of the time they open the package, and they are far from being stupid (invoice of $300 for a watch that they can clearly identify as a Rolex...).

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: UnluckyXIII

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
Well, then you have been extremely lucky !
well, in my case it was a $1000 modded seiko, the custom fee was I think like $70. It was not a fake rolex so it was legal to import. The thing I am saying is that the package was not opened. Actually, (knock on wood) I've never had any packages opened at customs (both gen and reps)

guybythelake

13/7/14
Just pay the tax so they release your watch. I would assume they rather to tax you few bucks and create revenue than destroy your watch... which i highly doubt anyways, it will be worn by the Turkish customs agent or family anyway..lol... it is a corrupt country, just pay the the illegal tax to get your illegal watch. Good luck

Reactions: micksmith1987

Ecy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/7/19
DHL is a different animal. Turkey may legally allow counterfit goods, but DHL doesn't

https://www.dhl.com.tr/en/country_p...Prohibited,imported, Customs will be informed.

DHL will report you and not deliver.

I did some digging as shipping sites and international customs were not very clear and found:

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=802a15e0-9085-4f3d-a6fa-4c6501660e31

Under criminal prosecution, "manufacturing goods or providing services with identical or confusingly similar trademarks to another’s, offering for sale or selling, importing or exporting, buying, keeping, shipping or stocking them for commercial purposes”

Since I am no lawyer and couldn't find a shipping restriction, the implies, 'importing, buying, keeping and shipping' are illegal.

I am not 100% sure. I only read English well and the only real article in English I provided is also about trademark's and using the internet to sell products.

Some shippers stated online that importrting used goods is illegal. Others that counterfit is illegal. Others state high value requires pre-approval. I dont know what to believe as the information varies so wildly online and I have experience in US exports.

You have two potential problems:

1. DHL is awful and can decide to not deliver. They also list in link one that Customs will be notified if suspicious. Also, customs will normally contact you directly if your custom forms were not completed correctly for duties and taxes. That means if DHL is suspicious, you will not get the package. If your TD filled out your customs form correctly, their should be no need to contact you.

2. Customs has decided to detain your package and requested DHL reach out. Customs agents do not waste time with small fish with one watch, and will rely on self incrimination. The basics they may do is to google the name on the package or check local law enforcement databases. If you used your name, value of zero, brag about reps online you can get flagged.

Also, customs tends to spot check and hold entire invoices held. This means, if package A is held, and Package A is in a container with your item in the same container, your item will be held as well. It could be just a random check, but again, I dont trust DHL or Customs.

I know a lot of this from my business experience, but I have been directly in shipping for a decade, so things could have changed.

If I were in your shoes I would contact a local import attorney in Turkey or give up the watch. I would also reach out to my TD to see why the watch was sent DHL. I know DHL is fast and everyone loves them, but they openly confiscate goods.

The last thing I would do is give info to customs. Remember, you are a small fry. They dont want you, but will do something if you self incriminate. If you dont know if its illegal, you are taking a risk. With DHL being scummy, they have stated they will report you to authorities even if not illegal.

On3LoV3

Horology Curious
8/12/20
Hi Guys... Thank you all for the Help.
I would like to inform you about the further course.
Meanwhile 2 months have passed. I did not accept the package and said they should send the package back to the sender.
I haven't heard from DHL since then.
Andrew from TrustyTime told me that if you have received a confirmation from the intermediary that the package has been returned, they will tell me.
I wrote to TrustyTime every 2 weeks but never received a message whether the package had arrived.
Since TrustyTime has assured me that they will not send the package to Turkey with DHL, i am actually expecting a refund or a replacement delivery.
I will keep you up-to-date.

rcom440

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/11/12
USA
Hi Guys... Thank you all for the Help.
I would like to inform you about the further course.
Meanwhile 2 months have passed. I did not accept the package and said they should send the package back to the sender.
I haven't heard from DHL since then.
Andrew from TrustyTime told me that if you have received a confirmation from the intermediary that the package has been returned, they will tell me.
I wrote to TrustyTime every 2 weeks but never received a message whether the package had arrived.
Since TrustyTime has assured me that they will not send the package to Turkey with DHL, i am actually expecting a refund or a replacement delivery.
I will keep you up-to-date.

You should get replacement watch, no question asked. Watch never arrived at the destination.
RWI TD are RWI TD for a reason.

On3LoV3

Horology Curious
8/12/20
Hi All
I think I'll get a replacement. I don't know whether the return shipment has arrived or not.

I got a email from TrustyTime yesterday that he would send me new QC pictures.
Today (07.03.2021) I got the pictures and gave TrustyTime the ok with the note NOT to send with DHL.

Hope everything comes to a good end.

On3LoV3

Horology Curious
8/12/20
Hi All
Today my replacement watch has finally arrived in istanbul :worthy:
I am very happy with the Watch.

I would like to thank Andrew & TrustyTime for all the support.
i will doing business again with you guys.