• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Datejust 41 126334 ARF - Different from QC photos (Issue)

Anou

Horology Curious
22/5/20
Hi All,

Hope you doing well. I am fairly new to this forum and hope this is the right place where I drop my question / comment.

After some research I decided to purchase a Datejust 41 126344 ARF blue on jubilee bracelet from a TD of this forum. After giving the first QC pics GL, I explicitly asked for a QC video of the metal of the letters R O L E X on the inside around the watch and saw nothing wrong and the QC team also indicated this, so I gave the watch a GL.

I received the watch a couple days ago and the first thing I noticed before taking it out of the box was that a piece of the metal (inside, above the first letter R, next to the crown) was cut off (a pit/whole). This is at the top of the watch, if it was below I could try to ignore it, but this is immediately noticeable for me and others (even more in sunlight).
I don't understand why the team missed this at the QC check, because I explicity asked for it, nor did I see this on the QC video.

I immediately sent the TD an email but I have not yet received an answer, which is why I want input from you members in the meantime.
  • Can this be repaired at a watchmaker? If so, what will the approximate costs be?
  • Is it normal for this obvious damage to be present on a $428 watch since I've had similar watches for less than $100 that didn't?
  • Can the watch be sold to customers in this condition at all?
    Zq2DjP.jpg

Zq2gLb.jpg
Thanks in advance and Stay Safe!

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
That's a small dent in the top edge of the rehaut. It’s most noticeable in the top example photo you’ve used, but less so in the second. You should discuss this with the TD, if you explicitly asked for video of this exact area to make sure that there were no flaws... So if you have that evidence, it means the watch you received isn’t the same one from the QC video.

The cost to repair the dent might be more than the cost of a replacement case set.
It’s not normal for a $400 watch to have flaws, but it’s not incredibly rare either. And $10,000 watches have flaws too.
Of course the watch can be sold. A less observant customer may never notice, or might not care about a small flaw.

What's the rule written or unwritten about stating or not stating the name of the TD on posts of this nature? Personally I'd be interested in the name of the TD. Is it to avoid offending the TD? Is there concern about a favorable resolution if the TD is named? I don't see the downside of identifying the TD particularly with such an obvious flaw. Enlighten me please.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
What's the rule written or unwritten about stating or not stating the name of the TD on posts of this nature? Personally I'd be interested in the name of the TD. Is it to avoid offending the TD? Is there concern about a favorable resolution if the TD is named? I don't see the downside of identifying the TD particularly with such an obvious flaw. Enlighten me please.

Well, let's imagine you made a mistake, a genuine mistake, and somebody took exception to that, got angry and decided that in fact it wasn't a mistake - they think you did it on purpose.

That person then starts publicly naming and shaming you, creating threads on multiple fora, criticizing you and your work.

People pile on, and before you know it, you've lost business, your reputation is down the shitter and you find it hard to explain your side of the story because nobody will listen to you.

All this because somebody with a huge chip on their shoulder, who's convinced that everybody is out get them couldn't just email you and ask you for an explanation and a solution to the problem.

M_Hall

I'm Pretty Popular
8/10/15
This is just one of those annoying things you get with reps, they’re never perfect. The closer you look the more you see.

It’s just a mistake by the TD, let them know and maybe they’ll offer you a discount of another watch.

If you can’t live with that little imperfection just sell it, as long as you describe it accurately someone will be happy to buy it I’m sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I will just leave it at this thought, unless you plan walking around with the magnifying glass staring at that part of the rehault, I doubt you or anyone else will notice it.... I had to have your ultra macro view picture to even see what you're talking about and it doesn't look that big. I would reach out to the dealer and see what they say however I personally would not risk sending it back because you would not be covered for any loss in the return shipment. Most likely the dealer will offer you a credit towards a future purchase which you can then sell that one as is for a slight discount and purchase another watch in its place (I personally would wear it as is in that worry about it but that's just me). Remember there are other more glaring flaws present if you're worried about someone calling it out. Out of curiosity can you post your QA picture I'd like to see if that was present and you missed it or if it is in fact a different watch

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I will just leave it at this thought, unless you plan walking around with the magnifying glass staring at that part of the rehault, I doubt you or anyone else will notice it.... I had to have your ultra macro view picture to even see what you're talking about and it doesn't look that big.
This was my initial reaction too. But then I thought about it, and how I'd feel personally knowing that whenever I took a wristie of the watch (and I take a LOT of wristies!) I'd be acutely aware of the dent in the rehaut. And it doesn't help that the DateJust is such a clean, sharp looking design.

So I think the most important issue here is the OP's key concern; he thinks the watch he's received isn't the one he signed off the QC pics of. And if that's the case (and if he can clearly demonstrate it with the QC pics/video), then I think he's justified in going back to the TD and asking what happened, and what they will do about it.

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
This was my initial reaction too. But then I thought about it, and how I'd feel personally knowing that whenever I took a wristie of the watch (and I take a LOT of wristies!) I'd be acutely aware of the dent in the rehaut. And it doesn't help that the DateJust is such a clean, sharp looking design.

So I think the most important issue here is the OP's key concern; he thinks the watch he's received isn't the one he signed off the QC pics of. And if that's the case (and if he can clearly demonstrate it with the QC pics/video), then I think he's justified in going back to the TD and asking what happened, and what they will do about it.

Oh I agree if it's not the same watch as in the QA picture then he has every right to be unhappy. Even if this is the case and the wrong one was sent I still would not recommend shipping it back to China for both the customs concerns as well as the abnormally long shipping times he will be dealing with both directions. I eagerly await seeing the original pictures the dealer sent for comparison

Reactions: p0pperini

cool1o

Known Member
11/10/20
Germany
I can also imagine that the dent in the rehaut is reflecting an ungodly amount of light when in direct sunshine. It won't be that unnoticable there. I can fully understand the concern of OP.

If it was present in the QC pics and you didn't catch it it's most likely your fault. If it's a completely different watch like OP stated it's B&S and completely not okay.
It could be also an honest mistake though, the reaction of your TD will show it at the end.

Hope that you'll be able to resolve it asap.

Edit:
I don't think that a watchmaker can do anything about it. It looks pretty deep from the pictures and a simple polish and brush will destroy the finish and most likely look uneven

Last edited:

Anou

Horology Curious
22/5/20
Hi All,
Thank you all for your feedback. I'm happy to hear that most of you guys agree that the dent on the rehaut will not go unnoticed, especially since it is at the top.
It is not a different watch than on the QC video, because the serial number matches. also, I didn't overlook this in the video because it just didn't show the dent.

I have received a message from TD that they do indeed see the issue in the photo and video that I sent them.
They also regret it and have indicated that I have to send the watch back so that the factory can replace the ring.
I don't know if it is possible to replace the ring or if I will get another watch?

They have also indicated that I will receive a credit code for the return shipping costs that I will incur. Super neatly solved.
I agree with tripdog not to mention names of TD directly because I don't want to just put them in a bad light if I haven't had a response from them yet. If everything goes well, which I assume, I will still mention the name of the TD so that all of you (especially people who will order for the first time) have an extra safe feeling with them.

To be continued, good weekend everyone!

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
They also regret it and have indicated that I have to send the watch back so that the factory can replace the ring.
I don't know if it is possible to replace the ring or if I will get another watch?
The ring in question is called the “rehaut”. In English the word would be “flange”. The rehaut of a Rolex is not a separate part; it’s part of the main watch case.* So “replacing” it would mean swapping all the parts from your watch into a new case. I’d say it’s more likely they’ll simply give you a new watch.

It’s good to hear that the TD is dealing with this. That’s why we have TDs.

*There are some members of the forum who would have you believe that the Rolex rehaut is a separate part, but they are, to be frank, complete nutjobs. I wouldn’t listen to anything they tell you. They will tell you that the Rolex can suffer from a detached rehaut, but this is just insane ramblings.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anou

defenestratedbaby

Horology Curious
28/9/20
The ring in question is called the “rehaut”. In English the word would be “flange”. The rehaut of a Rolex is not a separate part; it’s part of the main watch case.* So “replacing” it would mean swapping all the parts from your watch into a new case. I’d say it’s more likely they’ll simply give you a new watch.

It’s good to hear that the TD is dealing with this. That’s why we have TDs.

*There are some members of the forum who would have you believe that the Rolex rehaut is a separate part, but they are, to be frank, complete nutjobs. I wouldn’t listen to anything they tell you. They will tell you that the Rolex can suffer from a detached rehaut, but this is just insane ramblings.
Thank you for linking to that thread. It was a fantastic read.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Anou

Horology Curious
22/5/20
Hi all,
Apologies for my late response, I ended up keeping the watch and selling it to a friend for a little less who didn't mind the issue. As compensation I received a discount code from the TD to still be able to place an order.

The TD in question is Puretime. Jennifer from Sales Team spoke to me very well and she responded within 24 hours every time. I don't know how to tag them (if possible) in this post but Super after sales, my compliments! :)