• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Purpose of QC Pics

Nivenj

15/6/14
UK
So I was just wondering what, in general, the purpose of QC pics are?

Is it to check that big ticket items like, hands, screws, crystal etc are there before shipping, or is it to make sure you are happy with the watch being sent as you dont have the ability to view in person if yu were buying locally?

I know these are reps, and you cant expect perfection, but if you buy from a TD based on the pictures he has of the watch on their website, and then there is a difference when you get the QC pics, is that enough to reject?

Im feeling like im needing to defend myself at the minute with a TD who is disagreeing with me that the issue im raising he doesnt see. He actually started off by saying its because its new an improved (which it isnt as I used to own the Gen and the website pics are next to gen but the QC pics are absolutely nothing like it)

Where do I stand if the TD and I disagree. Can he refuse my refusal?

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
QC pics are for you to see if the watch is acceptable to you or not .

If all the watches in the batch are like that and he cant fix it, choose another watch .

Reactions: Tucker

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
The original purpose of QC pictures was to make sure you were receiving the watch you ordered. It then became a way to identify obvious flaws such as scratches on the crystal and bezel. It has now morphed into a nipicking cluster F. There was a time when we had no QC pictures. You paid and hoped the watch you ordered arrived. It was a bonus if the watch was working upon arrival.

Nivenj

15/6/14
UK
The original purpose of QC pictures was to make sure you were receiving the watch you ordered. It then became a way to identify obvious flaws such as scratches on the crystal and bezel. It has now morphed into a nipicking cluster F. There was a time when we had no QC pictures. You paid and hoped the watch you ordered arrived. It was a bonus if the watch was working upon arrival.

I sort of agree with you. I think I have only ever rejected 2 watches (including this one), I could very well be nit-picking, I dont deny that, but if its going to be something that will just annoy the crap out of me, and I wouldnt have bothered purchasing in the first place if the standard of the QC pics where the same as what is shown in the Website pics then thats slightly different. I do remember the days of buying blind, but i also remember them being a damn sight cheaper back then too :)

Reactions: eswilly

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
but i also remember them being a damn sight cheaper back then too :)

Unfortunately the massive amount of rejections and the requirement upon the TDs to provide QC pics has had an adverse effect on TD prices. The hobbyists are the ones that loose out ultimately.

Reactions: Tucker

Nivenj

15/6/14
UK
Unfortunately the massive amount of rejections and the requirement upon the TDs to provide QC pics has had an adverse effect on TD prices. The hobbyists are the ones that loose out ultimately.

Lets at least be honest here, the difference between a rep you buy today and the rep you bought from a mate in the pub 20 years ago are nowhere near the same quality. The prices reflect the massively increased quality, especially those that reach NWBIG. I suppose the Hobbyists who aren't concerned with quality can always rely on DHGate, and those that dont mind paying more for quality can buy from a TD. When your paying 500+ for anything, i think your entitled to expect a bit more, irrespective of the price of the things its immitating?

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
QC pics are also a way to put the "burden" of the check on the customer rather than on the TD, with the amount of business they have to deal, with not that much people (you imagine you can't trust anyone to be employed in such a business, even in China) it's a relieve for them if they don't have to be spot on QC each time. Some TD to a better QC than other because they can or want but ultimately, many rejection means many stock to be hold at any given time by TDs, increasing the risk of police bust and big loss, so they tend to be pretty good at the initial QC.

To me QC are just a way to make sure it's the correct watch, with no glaring flaws, if you have to traces lines, or zoom on the picture to check for stuff, you are already out of the scope of the QC
This is also a trust exercise, asking question to your TD about the watch is way better than trying to get people involved on the forum for the QC process.
There are many to choose from, every style of communication is out there for all to find the one they are pleased to deal with, QC are just a tool

Nivenj

15/6/14
UK
QC pics are also a way to put the "burden" of the check on the customer rather than on the TD, with the amount of business they have to deal, with not that much people (you imagine you can't trust anyone to be employed in such a business, even in China) it's a relieve for them if they don't have to be spot on QC each time. Some TD to a better QC than other because they can or want but ultimately, many rejection means many stock to be hold at any given time by TDs, increasing the risk of police bust and big loss, so they tend to be pretty good at the initial QC.

To me QC are just a way to make sure it's the correct watch, with no glaring flaws, if you have to traces lines, or zoom on the picture to check for stuff, you are already out of the scope of the QC
This is also a trust exercise, asking question to your TD about the watch is way better than trying to get people involved on the forum for the QC process.
There are many to choose from, every style of communication is out there for all to find the one they are pleased to deal with, QC are just a tool

Agree with all that. I suppose my question was around the situation where the TD is disagreeing with your rejection. As Raddave said, I also believe its a control gate on wether its acceptable to you or not. Everyone has different views on whats acceptable, and i guess we could debate forever what acceptable is, as its likely different to different people.

In my particular case, Ive just asked for a different watch altogether as it seems my particular issue is now inherent in the latest version and the website pictures are showing the earlier iteration.

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Agree with all that. I suppose my question was around the situation where the TD is disagreeing with your rejection. As Raddave said, I also believe its a control gate on wether its acceptable to you or not. Everyone has different views on whats acceptable, and i guess we could debate forever what acceptable is, as its likely different to different people.

In my particular case, Ive just asked for a different watch altogether as it seems my particular issue is now inherent in the latest version and the website pictures are showing the earlier iteration.

But alas you forget... you buy the TD first, then accept how they do business, it is part of the hobby, and don't forget, this is a hobby. It should be fun. I purposely work with a TD who I trust and I never even look at the pics other to confirm it is the right model because I know it will be perfect enough period. Perspective... they are reps afterall.

Reactions: P..DR..D and Glaude

Nivenj

15/6/14
UK
But alas you forget... you buy the TD first, then accept how they do business, it is part of the hobby, and don't forget, this is a hobby. It should be fun. I purposely work with a TD who I trust and I never even look at the pics other to confirm it is the right model because I know it will be perfect enough period. Perspective... they are reps afterall.

You Buy the TD first? Do you mean if you trust the TD then there is no need for QC pics? Yeah I suppose there is some truth to that. But as has proven on here a few times, some TD's lose their edge and end up going on probation.

I see the "Hobby" card being played a lot in discussions on here. If I paid £500 for a round of golf and the greens where not in pristine condition, you would be sure I wouldnt just go "Oh well, its just a hobby" :) And yes they are reps, but you can buy a rep for £50 and you can buy a rep for £500. There is a world of difference and expectation between the 2, dont you agree? If not, ive got a bunch of DHGate cheapies you can have for £500 a pop...its a hobby after all :p

Reactions: gilrob

Exklusive

I'm Pretty Popular
28/6/15
TD's need to QC dozens of watches everyday so we can't expect that they will scrutinize 100% for every watch. There are times where a crooked marker is 10000% obvious but they still send over hoping to get a "green light" to the untrained eye so there's no need for an exchange with the maker, troublesome. Best that we QC ourselves.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
TD's need to QC dozens of watches everyday so we can't expect that they will scrutinize 100% for every watch. There are times where a crooked marker is 10000% obvious but they still send over hoping to get a "green light" to the untrained eye so there's no need for an exchange with the maker, troublesome. Best that we QC ourselves.

Lol it is not only the TDs who miss stuff in QCs

https://timeandtidewatches.com/a-mo...-of-the-air-king-116900-doubled-up-to-the-9s/

Daytona 116520 "APH"

Rolex 4 digit Fat 40 bezel insert.

This list could indeed go on and on and on.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17

Ultimately it’s the TD who decides. If you’re unreasonable in your expectations and belligerent with it you’ll get a refund and forfeit your chance to order with them again.

Nivenj

15/6/14
UK
Ultimately it’s the TD who decides. If you’re unreasonable in your expectations and belligerent with it you’ll get a refund and forfeit your chance to order with them again.

I think its possible to have an opinion without being belligerent, and a difference of opinion does not always mean the TD is right. The TD can indeed decide who to sell to, as can the buyer on which TD to buy from :)

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Truth is : people buy gen online without ever seeing them, and they don't get a QC process as detailed as we do with trinket watches and they pay a massive premium ...

All things considered at the end, the QC is not here to be nitpicked, it's not a matter of how much money you spent on it, you are not entitled to anything but getting the watch you ordered

Gordo0220

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/19
You Buy the TD first? Do you mean if you trust the TD then there is no need for QC pics? Yeah I suppose there is some truth to that. But as has proven on here a few times, some TD's lose their edge and end up going on probation.

I see the "Hobby" card being played a lot in discussions on here. If I paid £500 for a round of golf and the greens where not in pristine condition, you would be sure I wouldnt just go "Oh well, its just a hobby" :) And yes they are reps, but you can buy a rep for £50 and you can buy a rep for £500. There is a world of difference and expectation between the 2, dont you agree? If not, ive got a bunch of DHGate cheapies you can have for £500 a pop...its a hobby after all :p

I agree that's why we pay more for a watch through a TD (higher quality materials and workmanship).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I agree that's why we pay more for a watch through a TD (higher quality materials and workmanship).

You don't pay for materials & workmanship because of the TD, the TD is only the supplier, he make sure you are able to get the product you asked for, from the factory you asked, in the version you asked with no glaring flaws on it.

If you go on DHGate you can find product claiming to be noob etc... always at a higher price and you probably won't get the factory & model you ordered, good luck telling that to customer service on DHGate to get a refund ;)

Reactions: Gordo0220

Gordo0220

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/2/19
You don't pay for materials & workmanship because of the TD, the TD is only the supplier, he make sure you are able to get the product you asked for, from the factory you asked, in the version you asked with no glaring flaws on it.

If you go on DHGate you can find product claiming to be noob etc... always at a higher price and you probably won't get the factory & model you ordered, good luck telling that to customer service on DHGate to get a refund ;)

Correct, I should have clarified we pay more for the "guarantee" that we are getting what we want from the factory we want (which we believe to be of higher quality compared to the general market). ????