• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

5167 Franken build dilemma

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
So I am about to embark on a 3KF 5167 Patek Philippe franken build and will be adding the following -

Gen dial, gen DW, gen rubber strap, gen clasp, gen second hand.

My dilemma is I already have a gen dial & it is the ‘Swiss made’ dial (post 2009 model) but the 3KF is based off of the pre 2009 model (thicker bezel). I’d like such a build to be consistent with the latest 5167 model, so should I..

a) get the 3KF bezel modded.
b) try to have the 324 movement transplanted to a ZF base.

Any tips or expertise here would be appreciated!

Gsingh

Looking Around
15/10/20
Sounds awesome dude. How long do you think it will take to complete the project assuming you're ready and have decided to go ahead and start

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Get the ZF case put the 3K movement. Have the case back slimed to Gen Spec.

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
Sounds awesome dude. How long do you think it will take to complete the project assuming you're ready and have decided to go ahead and start

Thanks man! Im hoping it will only take a couple of months max.. I just built (what I thought was my forever watch) a full franken 116520 with gen case which has took me since March to get the finished product. Hopefully early in the new year I’ll have the 5167 built

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
I believe the 324 movement is thinner than the miyota so it may need a custom movement spacer? I do like this idea

This assuming they have the same stem height.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
I believe the 324 movement is thinner than the miyota so it may need a custom movement spacer? I do like this idea

I think any good modder can make a spacer/movement holder for this.

And we have a few experienced modder who can do this.

Good luck with the project.

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
I think any good modder can make a spacer/movement holder for this.

And we have a few experienced modder who can do this.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks sir. Yes I’m abit more cautious going with this bezel modding as I’m unsure if gen spec could be achieved. Seems like it could be a tough one.

Ideal world we would be able to take the ZF bezel off and add to 3KF lol.

MasterWatch

Master of None
Patron
Certified
26/8/12
Thanks sir. Yes I’m abit more cautious going with this bezel modding as I’m unsure if gen spec could be achieved. Seems like it could be a tough one.

I personally would look into fitting the 3K movement in ZF case as the case doesn’t need modding and also the Gen Strap fits perfectly. Only thing is have a custom movement holder or modification of the case internals to fit the 3K movement. Since those modifications will be inside and not visible from outside the margin for error/correction is higher compared to modding the exterior and specially the Bezel.

Also see if the 3K case back can screw into the ZF case then you might not even need case thinning to achieve gen spec profile.

To do this you’ll have to have 2 base watches which is an additional expense but I think well worth it since you are already investing so much into the gen parts. So why cut corners for few hundred $$ if you are already have thousands into it.

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17

as far as i know did ZF manage to construct the case like the gen with a 2 part case construction without a separate bezel - not sure how 3KF build the case.

Other reps of the 5167 have a pressure fitted bezel on top of the mid case which is technically wrong compared to the gen construction.

Reactions: MasterWatch

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
I personally would look into fitting the 3K movement in ZF case as the case doesn’t need modding and also the Gen Strap fits perfectly. Only thing is have a custom movement holder or modification of the case internals to fit the 3K movement. Since those modifications will be inside and not visible from outside the margin for error/correction is higher compared to modding the exterior and specially the Bezel.

Also see if the 3K case back can screw into the ZF case then you might not even need case thinning to achieve gen spec profile.

To do this you’ll have to have 2 base watches which is an additional expense but I think well worth it since you are already investing so much into the gen parts. So why cut corners for few hundred $$ if you are already have thousands into it.

Thanks for the feedback yes I’m going to source a ZF and can go from there. Atleast I’ll have the option to try the transplant this way

APpee

22/4/20
London, UK
as far as i know did ZF manage to construct the case like the gen with a 2 part case construction without a separate bezel - not sure how 3KF build the case.

Other reps of the 5167 have a pressure fitted bezel on top of the mid case which is technically wrong compared to the gen construction.

Would be great if ZF case back fits 3KF case, we soon shall see. Also if DW is improved like a lot are saying on the recent batches I’ll probably leave that as it is. Depends on how much it itches lol