• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Maurice Lacroix Aikon gen OR AP rep? Which is better choice??

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA
I've been thinking to get a great rep of AP Royal Oak and recently came across ML Aikon with similar design and used are around $1K. Is that a better option than buying AP rep at $500?

It appears to be better option at some level to me...similar design and wear carefree and even if someone asks.. it's not expensive enough like AP to feel uncomfortable. Thoughts?
a0d12a10285c1a6c6ddd735760fa0715.jpg

ellocity

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/10/19
Italy
I am also doing the same reflection .. I saw a nice review of AIKON and I am very tempted to take it gen, it is really beautiful .. and if I'm not mistaken MAURICE LACROIX produces cases and bracelets in house, it's a pity that it has a sellita and not an in-house movement like their other watches

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I am also doing the same reflection .. I saw a nice review of AIKON and I am very tempted to take it gen, it is really beautiful .. and if I'm not mistaken MAURICE LACROIX produces cases and bracelets in house, it's a pity that it has a sellita and not an in-house movement like their other watches

Well, the chrono is a 7750. Which is beautiful and found in many watches like Breitling etc.

The regular version is a selita sw200, which is also a beautiful movement.

​​​​​​Domi put a sw200 in a nodate for a friend of mine, removed the date position on the stem.

​​​​​​The thing runs like butter with -12 seconds/month.

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA
I think Sellita is just fine which anyone can service instead of in- house movement for a sub $2k watch.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I think Sellita is just fine which anyone can service instead of in- house movement for a sub $2k watch.

Also, as I mentioned sellita is pretty good.

They build movements for eta by license for crying out loud lol

ellocity

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
21/10/19
Italy
yes of course I also think that the sw200 is an excellent movement but perhaps with the in house movement it would have acquired more quality. The only thing that stops me from buying is that ML watches do not hold the price well .. certainly I am not saying that they have to keep it as a gen AP but at least as an AP rep :D

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
yes of course I also think that the sw200 is an excellent movement but perhaps with the in house movement it would have acquired more quality. The only thing that stops me from buying is that ML watches do not hold the price well .. certainly I am not saying that they have to keep it as a gen AP but at least as an AP rep :D

Well, it is, like a tudor eta, adjusted and decorated to the need for ML. As for the worth, a used Aikon automatic can still be sold for around 80% of the price.
​​​​​​

Exklusive

I'm Pretty Popular
28/6/15
The ML Aikon is a great watch. Feels solid and good built, no regrets. To me, one of the best watches under 2k range.

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
I also almost bought it before I even knew about reps as I wanted an Royal Oak Like watch for an affordable price. But I just couldn't get over the claws on the bezel. I know they were also on the watch that was the inspiration for the Aikon, the Calypso, but I still don't like them.

SQUALO

Renowned Member
12/7/19
EU
you compared two similar watches in some ways but completely different at the same time.
with ML you'll have the certainty of a unique, unique watch, with 15202, you'll have an AP on your wrist, which, although it replicates, is another music!

LowExpanded

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/7/12
In my opinion better take ML quartz aikon model, it's looks good and price about 500-600€. Any genuine watches will be better than replicas, also i don't see any advantages in the mechanical movement, anyway it's only my opinion

Reactions: MarkMarky