• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

2824, 2836, Asian 3135, opinions?

John Abel

Known Member
15/5/20
UK
I've read different things about these movements. It may depend on the sources and even have changed with time. How would you rank them? Apparently, the Asian 3135 is more for a physical resemblance to its target, and less reliable than an Asian 28xx. So it looks like 28xx are "better" than Asian 3135. I'm not so clear between 2824 and 2836. What are your thoughts?

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
The Asian ETA movements have gotten quite good & very reliable. I have several and overall they have been plenty good.

The Rolex clone movements are getting better and some are quite good, others are not so reliable. Do some reading in the Rolex area of RWI on the specific model watch you are interested in.

Since you are asking about the 3135 movement I have to assume you are interested in a Rolex Sub. I have had a LOT of watches including several Rolex reps over the last 4 yrs. If I was giving advice to myself 4 years ago about which Rolex Sub to start with I would tell myself to just get one with a reliable asian ETA movement and keep reading and doing research on the others. This way you get a watch that, with any luck, will be reliable and if at some point down the road you decide to go with one with a clone movement you will be better prepared to to make that decision.

You can always sell in the m2m here at a small loss

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
As said get the A28xx movement, if it acts up you can easily have an ETA movement swapped in. Overall those are the most reliable option and having a pathway to a solid Swiss movement for not too much money is a nice bonus. Unless you were building a Franken there is really no advantage to having a 3135 clone. Unless you're going to open up the case back and show someone the movement it doesn't matter what it looks like inside the case because Rolex does not have a display case back, And there is several instant tells present in every Asian super clone 3135 so it wouldn't pass muster with anyone who knows what they're doing

UmpaHimself

7/6/12
IMO, unless you are going to Frankenstein a watch and replace the movement with gen, or it impacts the thickness (Daytona) I don't see any benefit in going for the clone movement. It won't make your replica any less of a replica.

Last edited:

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
IMO, unless you are going to Frankenstein a watch and replace the movement with gen, or it impacts the thickness (Daytona) I don't see any benefit in going for the clone movement. It won't make your replica any less of a replica.

Daytona would be the one Rolex exception to what all of us are saying. Op did mention 3135 so that is why I didn't say anything about Daytona before. If you want a Daytona and you want everything to work and want it to be the right thickness then you have to go with the Noob clone. In my opinion, for that one, it is worth it.