• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Phone Application to Identify Rolex Replicas

An entry in the Facebook Group "Vintage Watches Buy / Sell / Trade is as follows: ( a copy and paste)
"Hey guys,
we are working on an algorithm that will expose counterfeit watches, just by using the camera on the phone. It's an Artificial Intelligence using Computer Vision and Machine Learning. I am looking for a watch expert, that is willing to help us train the algorithm. We have to train the Intelligence on what watch is authentic and what is forged. We are going to focus on the brand Rolex for now.
Is there someone here, that has the experience to tell from a picture, if a watch is authentic or not? I know it is very difficult, that why we are working on this intelligence to make it easier for people.
I would be happy for any kind of help.
Thanks,
Franklyn"

There A few interesting comments and not many believers.

c_hall100

El Presidente
Gold Patron
Certified
14/2/20
UK
Ha what a load of tosh

Sent from my iPhone 11 using Tapatalk

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
20191130_1319078ac48aeb67d97951.gif

.... assuming they do pull off something it'll make people complacent , and ultimately lead to more people getting duped by frankens and watches that have been updated to newer versions which eliminate the flaws it's looking for. Ultimately, a fools errand.

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/2/19
The Chrono24 camera identifier function works in a similar way and it’s really easy to cheat.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I'm working on Neural Networks aka AI for a RWI project, and I can tell you right away, they can train the AI with 10 billion image, it will never be able to tell the good rep from the gen. Sure a bad fake will work, but I'm sure it they push it too hard, it will also reject gens based on manufacturing defect.

There's a limit of what Neural Networks can do, this won't work the way they think and any of the latest ARF, Noob, ZZF, RXF will fool their app

It'll give the app users a false sentiment of security and lead to problems

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
What Glaude said. It's gonna have false alerts and piss off a lot of gen owners. Plus: pictures on most platforms are of really low quality which makes the software useless...

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
Well first the CQ analyzer app on Reddit, now a ''spot the fake'' app... lol

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Ok, I don't get it. What does it do? I tried it and nothing?

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Ok, I don't get it. What does it do? I tried it and nothing?

You load your QC pic of the dial if you have one, and you drag it and resize it so that with the overlay you can see if your markers are aligned ... Because you know, there's always a guy around the corner with a set of transparent paper and a ruler that will check your watch on your wrist for that.

Also I heard that you can't get into certain restaurant without having a properly aligned dial

Reactions: YellowFin

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
You load your QC pic of the dial if you have one, and you drag it and resize it so that with the overlay you can see if your markers are aligned ... Because you know, there's always a guy around the corner with a set of transparent paper and a ruler that will check your watch on your wrist for that.

Also I heard that you can't get into certain restaurant without having a properly aligned dial

I kinda expected something more to happen....like anything more. Then again it's from reddit so I shouldn't be surprised. Wonder how many QC threads that will initiate with misaligned crowns and rehault engravings. ROFL.

Reactions: Tucker

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Those morons. I’m pretty sure that’s something tripdog posted as a joke making fun of somebody On RWI, and they stole it thinking we were being serious. I guess they have adjustment for camera angles, distance to the watch face, etc.

Reactions: Rx4Time and tripdog