• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dealing with import customs in the U.S. (They have my watch)

adasue

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/8/20
I recently purchased a watch from In TIme. DHL shows it got to the US but it had a "contact them on hold" note. I called them and they said they handed the package over to customs and I will be notified after it has been processed. Has anyone had an experience like this? What is my best course of action? Thanks

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
No action. If it’s confiscated, you’ll get a notice - forward this to the TD and they should reship. Do not contact customs, do not respond to contact from customs.

Reactions: DaleM

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
No action. If it’s confiscated, you’ll get a notice - forward this to the TD and they should reship. Do not contact customs, do not respond to contact from customs.

I have never heard of anyone trying to have customs successfully clear a counterfeit from a TD. US law says a U.S. Citizen can bring in one counterfeit item every 30 days. Glaude thinks it applies to people flying in and I agree with him. But it is not clear actually. I wonder if a lawyer could figure this one out for us americans.

Reactions: kavorca1

adasue

2/8/20
I have never heard of anyone trying to have customs successfully clear a counterfeit from a TD. US law says a U.S. Citizen can bring in one counterfeit item every 30 days. Glaude thinks it applies to people flying in and I agree with him. But it is not clear actually. I wonder if a lawyer could figure this one out for us americans.

"one counterfit item every 30 days" Is that real thing? I will just ignore any correspondance.

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
"one counterfit item every 30 days" Is that real thing? I will just ignore any correspondance.

It is real. What is not known is if there is a way to to apply to mailed items. Customs rulle seems to be for travel. Customs and mail may have other rules. It is not worth a lawyer when all this is rectified by the dealers.

adasue

2/8/20
ok thanks everyone. I'll just wait to see if it resolves. I'm sure Ryan will help me if it doesn't work out

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Lots of us have had watches confiscated by customs including me. The worst part of it is that it makes a long wait a whole bunch longer.

If I ever get another watch confiscated by customs I think I would order another watch (different model than the one being confiscated) just to satisfy my thirst a bit quicker. I always struggle with the wait and on that one particular watch it was probably 2 months start to finish.

No worries about Ryan. Eventually it will all be made right

Last edited:

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I found the exact legal applying to this situation, and it's indeed only for traveling :

Customs Directive No. 2310-011A “Customs officers shall permit any person arriving in the United States to import one article, which must accompany the person, bearing a counterfeit, confusingly similar, or restricted gray market trademark, provided that the article is for personal use and not for sale.” And “Customs officers shall permit the arriving person to retain one article of each type accompanying the person.”

The important part here is : "which much accompany the person"