• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

OK want to start a controversial subject, and I know Im going to get flammed over it..... but

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
the £36 pagina is 85% of any Rolex rep, even better finishing in parts but it doesn't have a Rolex logo on

ad bac to my £36 homage thats better than most Noobs etc.

Each to their own, I have zero intensions to diss your watch but for my eye if it would have a Rolex logo on the dial it can compete with Regmariner at best.

the cheaper people are the tighter and more blagging they get,

people that make serious money can afford a wonderful collection, none of them you have to look under a macro to work out what's best factory making make

All that is very true.

The money spent on Franken's on here that are fake, however, you cut it, are more expensive than a Speedy, or Omega... its insane

Yes, frankening can be insane unless you set yourself a borders and keep it all reasonable. For example I did a research on the franken of vintage SM300, the forecast was that decent Viet build will cost 75% of the modern WatchCo, so I gave up that project.

shit show that is the sales section, if someone is $1 off a price someone has found on a website people fight

Rep sides seems to be attracting many mod-wannabies. It is odd sometimes funny, I also noticed it but can not explain any further.

ever been on a Gen watch site, where people sell real watches, NO ONE asks what you paid for it, EVER.
they are no 10000000 rules, (they are a few obvious ones) and no one shit storms your thread.

Not really. Usually gen watch fora do have a rule that only OP can post in own FS. It can be said directly in T&C or can be unspoken gentlemens agreement. Either way, still I saw people posting in general forum section where they've been discussing/loling/bullying the prices in someones m2m. Especially if the watch was vintage.
No one will ask you on gen side what you have paid for it, but also no one (who is not a noob) will buy it unless you bump it to more or less market value.

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
The reason 99% of people have any debt its because we all live beyond our means...do you own a car? Or a house or drink beer/wine/sodas? Point is we could take public transportation or walk or ride a bike, or rent an apartment or drink water. it doesn't matter what you own, wear, drive or use, everything defines who we are. Wearing a rep watch doesn't mean you are a fake person no more than claiming "we" won the championship when you don't even play for the team. Do people call you a fake athlete when you wear a jersey of your fav team????

this is a hobby not a way of life for most of us. Don't call it a "fake" watch, call it a "real" replica

English Gent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/14
Again, utter nonsense. Do you really think General Ismael Bin Whatever his name is, who's never had a real job in his life (yet constantly flexes his RMs etc in Instagram) works harder than a $1 a day rubbish dump scavenger in sub Saharan Africa? Because he doesn't!

What is more, there are many many people on here that are total addicts and have 50/100/hundreds of reps - the total cost of which easily puts them in Gen watch owning territory - they just choose not to.

To consider owning a Gen a measure of accomplishment just proves you've bought into the BS marketing that your Gen money has mostly been spent on.

would you rather have lots of fakes or a collection of these, some lot less than fake, and a few Franken money, or save up and get a real watch... ana Apple watch. ore complications than any grad Patek...lol

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
The reason 99% of people have any debt its because we all live beyond our means...do you own a car? Or a house or drink beer/wine/sodas? Point is we could take public transportation or walk or ride a bike, or rent an apartment or drink water. it doesn't matter what you own, wear, drive or use, everything defines who we are. Wearing a rep watch doesn't mean you are a fake person no more than claiming "we" won the championship when you don't even play for the team. Do people call you a fake athlete when you wear a jersey of your fav team????

this is a hobby not a way of life for most of us. Don't call it a "fake" watch, call it a "real" replica

a real watch is a watch that looks nothing like a big brand, or at least is a homage to a brand, but they don't put the word 'ROLEX' on it, don't believe me, take it to the police station or Rolex for a service...

I've been here many years and it can be a hobby to try new stuff out, shit I can't afford like AP's, and I hate the design, but I bought 3 o see if I would like in real life but I will never wear them in public, as I mentioned before I have watch collector friends that have serious collections

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
I like some of your gens, but instead of the “homage” copies, I’ll have “fake” copies please. Thanks!

unless they cant be faked.... serious note, why cant they fake the Speedy? Im selling this at the moment, as hardly wear it, but theres no fake to look good in my box...

Reactions: axel.gold

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
would you rather have lots of fakes or a collection of these, some lot less than fake, and a few Franken money, or save up and get a real watch?

Is that a real question or a rhetorical one? If real, then my answer is that I'd prefer lots of fakes. But everyone's different! I certainly wouldn't have 'accomplished more' if I sold all my Reps and bought a couple of Gens (or added a few Gens to my collection).

There must be thousands and thousands (tens of thousands probably), of members on here with $20k+ rep collections. That's only 50 watches at $400 a piece. Have those people 'accomplished more' if they sell the reps and buy a Daytona? Off course not, it's purely personal preference.

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
unless they cant be faked.... serious note, why cant they fake the Speedy? Im selling this at the moment, as hardly wear it, but theres no fake to look good in my box...

There are no affordable chrono movement with the sub-dials spacing same to 861/1861. Only quartz reps will give you the spacing similar to gen.

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Is that a real question or a rhetorical one? If real, then my answer is that I'd prefer lots of fakes. But everyone's different! I certainly wouldn't have 'accomplished more' if I sold all my Reps and bought a couple of Gens (or added a few Gens to my collection).

There must be thousands and thousands (tens of thousands probably), of members on here with $20k+ rep collections. That's only 50 watches at $400 apiece. Have those people 'accomplished more' if they sell the reps and buy a Daytona? Off course not, it's a purely personal preference.

I was proving a point real watches, some very good can be had for the same price as FAKE or FRANKEN, as I said I've owned nearly a thousand watches, mostly gen, and they make me feel a little bit better. as I know I earned them. also Im a designer, and well fake brand is illegal, fake watches are illegal, I don't care, but I do care when I see a cheap idiot trying to flex at the bar with his 55mm Jacobs and co etc, while I stand calmly by him with my JLC, we look into each other's eyes, he laughs at my puny JLC Master geographic, only later that night he realises it was my party.... get what I'm saying, I thanked him for splashing the cash on the Krug at £2k a bottle, which may or may not have been real, remember Im a designer. Prosecco can taste god when your nose is blocked with Coke..... lol

Last edited:

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I was proving a point real watches, some very good can be had for the same price as FAKE or FRANKEN, as I said I've owned nearly a thousand watches, mostly gen, and they make me feel a little bit better. as I know I earned them. also Im a designer, and well fake brand is illegal, fake watches are illegal, I don't care, but I do care when I see a cheap idiot trying to flex at the bar with his 55mm Jacobs and co etc, while I stand calmly by him with my JLC, we look into each other's eyes, he laughs at my puny JLC Master geographic, only later that night he realises it was my party.... get what I'm saying, I thanked him for splashing the cash on the Krug at £2k a bottle, which may or may not have been real, remember Im a designer. Prosecco can taste god when your nose is blocked with Coke..... lol

It's like you and me live on different planets.

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
It's like you and me live on different planets.

Not really we both love watches, bt lets be honest fake watches are fake, have you ever bought a watch from a AD or distributer, nice experience, and handling always makes it fun, I got my girlfriend a JLC Revrso with 2 faces, got 15 % off and made them give me a Nomos Orion, all the time drinking champs (by them) theres something to be said about buying real watches in real world, as for different planets, I have a Speedmaster, so should be able to fly far away!

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
SO you dont wear your gens? Ive been collecting fr 30 plus years, I take pride in what I wear, a fake watch on my arm is not pride, its I'm fake

I like the style of many gens as they are and just refuse to pay that much. I want a rep to impress me not everyone around me. You see to have an ego problem and likely more fake than anyone who buys a Rolex to show off.

They are fun and the community around the fakes are mostly well intentioned and very helpful.

​​​​​​My gens are pretty nice but I must say none of my friends or family or the average guy on the street would not know my gens and most of my fakes, so how is that trying to impress?

I honestly believe you just want some attention and to troll. I am not impressed that you own 400 fakes. Are you trying to impress us how rich you are. GTFO.

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
I like the style of many gens as they are and just refuse to pay that much. I want a rep to impress me not everyone around me. You see to have an ego problem and likely more fake than anyone who buys a Rolex to show off.

They are fun and the community around the fakes are mostly well intentioned and very helpful.

​​​​​​My gens are pretty nice but I must say none of my friends or family or the average guy on the street would not know my gens and most of my fakes, so how is that trying to impress?

I honestly believe you just want some attention and to troll. I am not impressed that you own 400 fakes. Are you trying to impress us how rich you are. GTFO.

Damn, I agreed with you at first, but then calling me a troll etc, my simple point from the beginning of this tread was look at the quality of a £36 Rolex homage, its 85% as good as a zzf or whatever, never meant to troll. It just came to mind that we pay for a fake logo.

Ive owned a lot of watches, doesn't mean I'm rich, I sell and buy. I have around 30 keepers and only 2 are fake, both I love

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
PS, what would make you more proud, a real watch or a fake watch.

I have owned gens. I sold them when I started with reps.

I sometimes think about buying my favorite rep as gen but its not likely its going to happen.

It's pretty much gen in the exterior and costs less then half of the gen. Some would call it crazy myself included but it's been a fun ride and I love that watch and I am more proud if this piece than any gen i gad.

I think you just have to understand that people are different. You haven't found the solution for everyone. You are not smarter than me, we just like different things and doesn't have the same definition of the word fake.
​​

Last edited:

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
Oh, please!
What is the point of this post, other than to cast a wide net of aspersions upon this diverse community of hobbyists?
Your “Pagani design” gmt is just as big of a lie and a fake as any Rolex rep, if not more so. It is NOT a “Pagani Design”, it is a Rolex design with a different second hand. It is no different than a Parnis, Sturling, Debert, or any other $50 Chinese AAA 3804b Rolex “homage”.
BTW, the insert is not ceramic... it’s aluminum- obvious from the sheen of the red section.

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Oh, please!
What is the point of this post, other than to cast a wide net of aspersions upon this diverse community of hobbyists?
Your “Pagani design” gmt is just as big of a lie and a fake as any Rolex rep, if not more so. It is NOT a “Pagani Design”, it is a Rolex design with a different second hand. It is no different than a Parnis, Sturling, Debert, or any other $50 Chinese AAA 3804b Rolex “homage”.
BTW, the insert is not ceramic... it’s aluminum- obvious from the sheen of the red section.

BUT doesn't say Rolex on it, I'm sure that's important in the court of law, my only point was how can Pangani do such quality for £36 when a Rolex rep is £400 plus, yes I know they're better quality, Apart from the finishing on the hands) but not by 100 fold... not even close. but they dont write Rolex on theres

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Good point. In the end some of us like me like the look but at the same time I want the logo Rolex because it does make me feel a bit better. Feeds my ego. I look at it like I payd $500 for a Rolex DSSD so I got a crazy discount. Some will say its still fake like my brother but I dont care. If a person wants to know I will admit its a fake, but only if they ask. Yes you can work hard save up and buy a gen but I know I would feel so so because of how much I would spend. Like its really not a good way to spend $13k. Plus I would fear theft, being robbed, or damaging the watch. If I spend $500 I still take care if it as I do my $19.99 Casio but less worry. When I put in my Replicas I feel better about my self, because ego can be fooled. A part is what people think but most never notice the watch, they just see a watch nothing more. In the end as long as you are happy thats all that matters. I enjoy my cheaper watches as much as the more expensive ones. Right now I have a 39.99 casio Tom Cruze and love it and my ego loves it. I enjoy my Steinharts even if they dont say Rolex. Or my Parnis without logos. But in the end there is something when I put my Panerai Tudor or Rolex on. I just also know buying a $50k car gets me the same feeling as buying a $20 watch, gives me some dopamine. Which I enjoy but it does go away. And as some said the search, waiting, is also part of tge game. And some danger as they are forbidden makes it a thril.

Reactions: indywatchguy

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
I have owned gens. I sold them when I started with reps.

I sometimes think about buying my favorite rep as gen but its not likely its going to happen.

It's pretty much gen in the exterior and costs less then half of the gen. Some would call it crazy myself included but it's been a fun ride and I love that watch and I am more proud if this piece than any gen i gad.

I think you just have to understand that people are different. You haven't found the solution for everyone. You are not smarter than me, we just like different things and doesn't have the same definition of the word fake.
​​

OK, not sure how to reply to this, but Ill try my best, Reps are sometimes great watches that replicate a Gen, you can get better watches that are gen, but not "fashionable'

Fact is I can have a load of reps, and I normally sell on and the ones I liked I buy gen, because I want the real thing, if I bought a Ferrari and found out it was a masa with body kit I wouldn't be happy.

its simple, buying a gen gives you a feeling of accomplishment, and no fake will give you that, also you know, you KNOW your wearing fake, when you could just wear a nice watch like at beginning of this tread, it hasn't got a logo, but it isnt FAKE

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
its simple, buying a gen gives you a feeling of accomplishment, and no fake will give you that, also you know, you KNOW your wearing fake, when you could just wear a nice watch like at beginning of this tread, it hasn't got a logo, but it isnt FAKE

No!!!! Why do you think the way it makes you feel is the same for everybody?

If I buy a Gen, I feel like an idiot for overpaying for a lump of steel whose true value is a fraction of the price I paid for it, just because of a slick advertising campaign.

You do not speak for me.