• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DSSD V7 caseback

fraser3710

Known Member
21/3/17
Hello all,

Just received my new deepsea from Tony, it was a bit of an impulse buy as I'm not really a Rolex guy.
When it arrived the caseback hadn't been tightened and I could turn it easily.
Could any of you recommend the best tool to tighten this style of caseback.
TIA

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

fredflintstone

5/4/20
A good sharp screw driver is what I use on mine. Put it in one of the groves and push it round, be very careful though. The screwdriver can slip off and stab the hand you're holding it with.
Not ideal I know but it works well enough.

Sent from my CDY-NX9A using Tapatalk

Reactions: fraser3710

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
A good sharp screw driver is what I use on mine. Put it in one of the groves and push it round, be very careful though. The screwdriver can slip off and stab the hand you're holding it with.
Not ideal I know but it works well enough.

Sent from my CDY-NX9A using Tapatalk
fraser3710 Be careful if you use a screwdriver. You are living dangerously. Buy a sticky ball or get some duct tape and roll it up with the sticky side out. The best solution is to buy a cheap case back opener off eBay.

Reactions: Katarsis

fredflintstone

5/4/20
fraser3710 Be careful if you use a screwdriver. You are living dangerously. Buy a sticky ball or get some duct tape and roll it up with the sticky side out. The best solution is to buy a cheap case back opener off eBay.
The dssd is not the same as all the other casebacks, its a 2 part affair, so the rubber ball and duct tape trick doesn't work, and the cheap case back kits on ebay don't have one big enough I'm afraid.

Sent from my SM-T515 using Tapatalk

fraser3710

Known Member
21/3/17
The dssd is not the same as all the other casebacks, its a 2 part affair, so the rubber ball and duct tape trick doesn't work, and the cheap case back kits on ebay don't have one big enough I'm afraid.

This was my fear when I had a look around.

Is there a solution?

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Duct tape, however you’ll end up pulling paint out of the engravings so you need to repaint it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Duct tape, however you’ll end up pulling paint out of the engravings so you need to repaint it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fredflintstone

5/4/20
I've actually opened a closed a dssd today using my thumbs, and nipped it up with the screwdriver.
Tighten it up as much as you can by hand, get your thumbs into the deep notches, then just one last little push with the screwdriver. You don't need to go mad. All you are doing in reality is squashing the o-ring down a little Mate. Put it on a thick towel just incase it does slip, but the groves are deep so you'll be OK.

fraser3710

Known Member
21/3/17
I've actually opened a closed a dssd today using my thumbs, and nipped it up with the screwdriver.
Tighten it up as much as you can by hand, get your thumbs into the deep notches, then just one last little push with the screwdriver. You don't need to go mad. All you are doing in reality is squashing the o-ring down a little Mate. Put it on a thick towel just incase it does slip, but the groves are deep so you'll be OK.

Thanks mate

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I made a caseback opener once , i found a plastic pill bottle that was just a tiny bit too small to work , put a little oil in a frying pan to prevent sticking , heated up the pan and put the rim of the bottle in there till it got squishy, then put it on the back of the watch and let it cool .

fredflintstone

5/4/20
I made a caseback opener once , i found a plastic pill bottle that was just a tiny bit too small to work , put a little oil in a frying pan to prevent sticking , heated up the pan and put the rim of the bottle in there till it got squishy, then put it on the back of the watch and let it cool .
Now thats my kind of work around!

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
If you use a screwdriver please videotape the disaster.

Reactions: Katarsis

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt

@realMacGyver

Reactions: Raddave

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
use the pill bottle or even try some rubber dishwashing gloves for a better grip

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
how about vice grips ? ;)

If everything else fails.

ZzPp4F.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Raddave