• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Does the movement play a factor at all when you decide which rep to get?

watchnerd23

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/19
I just started in the rep game hobby and I have a GF Cartier Santos, what drew me to this besides the aesthetic appeal was that it came with Miyota 9015 movement, which I know to be a workhorse. Part of me wants to just stick to reps with Miyota 9015....but I also really like some non Miyota 9015 rep watches, but I am concerned about the durability and long term reliability of these clone movements. What do you all think about the clone movements?

kk169

Known Member
7/1/19
Hard to have a generic answer for this as each cloned movement from various factories have different qualities. Really need to go research the relevant models’ threads to get an understanding of the movement’s reputation. Personally I tend to prefer cloned movement if it provides “full” functionality of the gen counterpart. I also find 9015s hard to silence.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Sometimes there's just no way to avoid "problematic" movements, if you want the rep and the most functions.

I try to stay away from A7750 and that's about it, but I do have several of them, because they were no other choices, I haven't had any issues with them so far

I tend to stick to "deco plated" movement rather than full clone, unless the full clone has easy and cheap part available (for example I'm not interested in the full Patek 324 clone). Reparability is a key feature in my mind, but again, in the end it's the watch itself that will win, no matter the movement.

Reactions: Rx4Time

watchnerd23

10/6/19
Hard to have a generic answer for this as each cloned movement from various factories have different qualities. Really need to go research the relevant models’ threads to get an understanding of the movement’s reputation. Personally I tend to prefer cloned movement if it provides “full” functionality of the gen counterpart. I also find 9015s hard to silence.

It's interesting. I don't know if I just got lucky, but the Miyota 9015 in my GF Santos is completely silent. I'll even shake it and I can't heard anything. And before anyone asks, no, I dont have hearing problems :)

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Hmm
I have watches with most of movements that microbrands & rep makers use, Miyota, Seiko, DG2813, Asian ETA, A7750 & have had a bunch of Gens with various ETA, Sellita & ETA 7750 movements. I used to be really hung up on movements and accuracy & all that when I had only one nice watch. That lasted for a few years and then I moved on. Now I'm not even 100% sure how many watches I have... something around 20 + or - a few at any given time. I switch it up often enough that as long as the movement keeps reasonably good time I don't care all that much.

7750 is fine as long as the seconds subdial is @9. If it is not, then it is a no buy. Miyota 9015 needs to be silenced. There are a few Rolex rep movements that you might consider staying away from, but plenty that are just fine. Any movement is going to need a service at some point, but most of the movements have improved to the point that I am mostly not making decisions based on the movement used.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
It's interesting. I don't know if I just got lucky, but the Miyota 9015 in my GF Santos is completely silent. I'll even shake it and I can't heard anything. And before anyone asks, no, I dont have hearing problems :)

I have had both quiet and ridiculously loud miyota 9015's. I have never had one quiet coming from a rep maker, but I did get a nicely quiet one from Halios & I've been able to quiet a couple of them pretty much to my satisfaction. I will say that when they are loud, it is annoying!

Last edited:

BlueStrap

Looking Around
5/9/20
I can’t really speak for long term reliability, but yeah I’d much rather get a rep with something more akin to a clone 2824 or 2836 (not a big fan of miyotas). I recon in 5-10 years when it come time to service, I can afford to get another decent a2836 and just have a brand new movement. Then again, depending on the exact watch, something with a display case back is going to be difficult for a number of reasons, and you’ll end up getting a rep movement too.

I guess it really depends on how long you intend to keep it, you certainly can’t bring your rep Rolex movement into many shops and get away with it (besides maybe the trusted ones on here, don’t have experience myself) so maybe 2-5 years? I plan on keeping mine in good shape for a decent time and wearing them, so the piece of mind that comes with an off the shelf movement is what I’d steer for.

But like Glaude said, the watch is always going to win, especially if it’s a top grade with a rep movement vs a barely passing $100 bargain with something more typical.

One cool exception would be to go quarts if the watch allows, but that’s not too typical nowadays.

kk169

Known Member
7/1/19

My 9015s are in my APs and I had even tried getting one to be serviced/silenced but doesn’t make much of a difference. Not sure if the decoration may made any difference. In any case, from a service/repair perspective 9015 or other common movement like NH35 would be much more easier than any cloned movement.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
To an extent yes, the movement matters. Generally I avoid superclone movements as they tend to be less reliable than the standard ETA clone

Reactions: fuzzmex

FoxWilde

22/12/18
I feel most movements in reps are pretty reliable (the ones that aren’t are well documented here). The main factor for me is when they do need a service or repair down the road. Which one, ETA, Miyota, pseudo-clone, or true clone, will have parts available to replace broken ones?

vortex4me

19/7/20
The 2824’s and 2836’s seem to be the most reliable for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
I try to stay away from the 9015s and movements with quick hour adjustment. The latter are just made to break down, same goes for gens with that function. Super annoying when your date is on 4 and you have to advance to the 20th...