• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex queue!

superduperbambam

Horology Curious
25/7/20
So I was in a German city and wanted to try out a Rolex Daytona. Went to a huge luxury watch shop and asked if they had any. The service employee looked at me like I was total bananas. And apparently he understood how clueless I was and just said no… I went a block further and went in an actual official Rolex store.

They told me that the waiting list of a metal Daytona was freaking 10 years.

I mean, I understand marketing and keeping the value high due to shortage in production, but phew. Who would actually wait 10 years?

Guess a Rep delivers faster haha.

Btw, check my other thread about Breitling Rep. with gen. Movement question. Maybe somebody knows the answer.: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...itling-navitimer-a23322-rep-gen-7753-movement

James2020

1/6/20
It’s not just the Daytona but all stainless steel sports Rolex models (Eg. Sub, GMT, Exp 1 & 2) which have long waiting lists. “10 years” is just arbitrary and it’s just a nice way to tell you that you can forget about it. Some won’t even (or just pretend to) put you on the list unless you have purchased a watch from the shop. Some may offer you on the spot but on the condition you bundle-buy it with some other less desirable models.

If you are not a regular customer at a particular Rolex boutique or AD, it’s almost impossible to get it at retail price. The only option is buy from gray dealers or owners but you will have to pay thru’ your nose to get one.

So you are not alone in this. Misery loves company! I’ve been in the wait list for Daytona and GMT BLNR/RO for more than a year with a local AD. Some of my recent rep purchases (3 Daytona, 1 Batman) are “revenge” buys... LOL

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
It’s not just the Daytona but all stainless steel sports Rolex models (Eg. Sub, GMT, Exp 1 & 2) which have long waiting lists. “10 years” is just arbitrary and it’s just a nice way to tell you that you can forget about it. Some won’t even (or just pretend to) put you on the list unless you have purchased a watch from the shop. Some may offer you on the spot but on the condition you bundle-buy it with some other less desirable models.

If you are not a regular customer at a particular Rolex boutique or AD, it’s almost impossible to get it at retail price. The only option is buy from gray dealers or owners but you will have to pay thru’ your nose to get one.

So you are not alone in this. Misery loves company! I’ve been in the wait list for Daytona and GMT BLNR/RO for more than a year with a local AD. Some of my recent rep purchases (3 Daytona, 1 Batman) are “revenge” buys... LOL

I don't even know the retail prices for Rolex.
For example the SD43 is about 13.5k on Chrono. How big is the vig on that price?
​​​​​

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
This is what got me into Reps. I was on the waiting list for a Sub (114060) for about a year, one day I said fuck it, let's see what alternatives are out there and I landed here. And this was just for a lousy Submariner. You have to be a good Rolex customer to even get on the waiting list nowadays. And I think the realistic waiting time for a regular customer is way longer than 10 years, or better said, just forget about it, you won't get your Daytona.

tsyeo4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/14
Actually there is very good reason why normal folks like us cannot get hold of these sports model.

Youtube posted a very interesting topic about this. Apparently there are dealers that buys out all the sports model from Rolex AD directly with multiple black cc almost immediately. You see this alot in HK.

So in the eyes of Rolex these people are pretty much their no 1 customers. That also explains why there is a lack of interest and stock for you normal folks that wants 1 to 3 watches in your life time. When they can meet their sales KPI almost immediately with these dealers without taking a risk of stocking up the sports model to be sold to the general public.

Technical is not againts Rolex rules of employment. As long as those that have deep pockets to buy them out who cares as long as they meet the sales KPI.

The wait time is just an illusion. These people already have what they need. Selling you more watches from other brands only increases their sales KPI even more than usual.

Reactions: James2020

James2020

1/6/20
I don't even know the retail prices for Rolex.
For example the SD43 is about 13.5k on Chrono. How big is the vig on that price?
​​​​​

It should be about US$11+ k from Rolex retailer. The Rolex website actually shows the RRP in the local currency.

Reactions: Katarsis

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Thanks.

I compared the prices for a new SD on Chrono with retail. The difference was less than 500€.