• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rose gold question

Awristed development

Horology Curious
16/7/20
London
Hello. I'm researching two rose gold watches. First is the new daytona, with chocolate Dial. Second is the calatrava that makes the consensus list.

Im leaning toward the RG over the YG, as its less common, and therefore less likely to find yourself in a direct comparison.

I read the threads that gold plating has no gold in it at all. This is expected because I've seen that noob use pvd plating rather than normal plating (which used to be only in industrial usage as not practical to do a single item). The anology is pvd is like spreading butter on hot toast, and the normal way is spreading on cold toast. It plates on a molecular level.

Im looking at rubber strap as the weight will not be so off (steel weighs a third of gold - which begs the question of why they don't make gold reps out of tungsten and plate that)

Has anyone bought a noob rose gold watch and compared to gen? Be interested in first hand feedback...

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Even tried to machine tungsten? That's why.
Mind you, are you taking off watches and handing them to people? Do you hand with people rude enough to ask you to do that? If not then weight doesn't really matter does it?

Reactions: Yadda Yadda

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Even tried to machine tungsten? That's why.
Mind you, are you taking off watches and handing them to people? Do you hand with people rude enough to ask you to do that? If not then weight doesn't really matter does it?

I always hand my 30k gold Daytona to strangers.
Is that really such a weird thing to do?

Last edited:
Reactions: Yadda Yadda

Awristed development

Horology Curious
16/7/20
London
Fair enough on the tungsten comment, I had not looked up if its possible to machine it. Handing watches to people - of course but only after my pin number and bank cards.

On the question of rose gold, which was the main reason to post - can anyone share any direct feedback of what it looks like in real life?

I considered a rose gold watch and decided against because after due consideration it seemed RG to be a more feminine choice and possibly somewhat of a fad that could and likely will go out of style. YG is the natural color of gold and has and will continue to stand the test of time. RG may be more stylish more blingy and if that's your choice then go for it. I decided it's not for me but that's just me. To each his own.

Billnyethescienceguy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/1/20
CONUS
I have a RG/SS Seamaster VSF rep. I think the color is 99% Gen. The weight will be off, but once again I'm not letting anyone have it so that is a non issue (the back of the watch is a huge tell too so 2 reasons not to be passing it around). This is my experience with the Seamaster, other products from other factories might be much different.