Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Different view why DHL is taking so long right now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    A Different view why DHL is taking so long right now

    Hi guys, I’ve been a longtime member but haven’t posted. I’ve just read and learned, and have a few reps that I’ve obtained over the past few years off of what I’ve learned here at RWI. Thanks to all you guys. Ive noticed a lot of posts recently about DHL shipping delays. I work for one of the DHL airlines as a Pilot and wanted to give a little insight at least from my perspective over the last few months.

    First off DHL is not like Fedex and UPS is the sense that FDX and UPS own there own airlines. It’s there airplanes, pilots, mechanics, etc. DHL contracts there flying out to various airlines. Which is good and bad. If one airline under performs, you cut there contract and get another airline. But you have no “direct” control of the planes, pilots, mechanics. So contract negotiations, labor disputes can effect performance but overall the system actually works really well. Actually compared to FDX and UPS, if DHL owned all of the planes and airlines it contracts, it would be the biggest airline in the world.

    The loads right now out almost every station is absolutely maxed out. Seeing some where between 50-60% load on a freighter was pretty normal Pre-COVID. Since then we have been maxed out at 100% of available load. Now I say available load because the longer the flight, the less payload we can take because we require more fuel. On my aircraft, the 767, even on a long flight we can generally take about 80-90% load capacity, so we aren’t too affected. But the bigger birds are flying 12-16 hour flights, which definitely require fuel over payload. HKG is crazy, as well as ICN, NRT, and CVG right now.

    DHL also doesn’t care about fuel cost. We fly the DHL birds at a high cost index, which means fly faster, burn more gas, but get to the destination faster, which is what DHL cares about. The cargo literally can’t move any faster. 30 seconds after we shutdown the engines the doors are opening and cargo is flying off.

    I’ve seen a post about more flights to Asia. Well, unfortunately routes to Asia are restricted buy route and landing rights. So even if DHL wanted more flights to ICN, NRT, HKG, Only a few of the contracted airlines have those route rights. Thus if those airlines are already maxed out and using every airplane available, it can’t be done. Another airline cannot use someone else’s route rights, even if the flight is contracted out to DHL.

    I can’t speak for the customs side of things because that is something the flight crew is not directly involved in but I’ve seen how many pallets are waiting to go through so I can imagine how backed up it is. Try to be patient, PPE is definitely still being prioritized and planes are maxed. On the flight crew side, we are working hard to keep the cargo moving. Delays happen but that’s part of the business.

    Don’t go hard on your TDs due to shipping delays. They aren’t driving the vans or flying the planes to ship your rep. I have a rep out in the DHL system right now, it’s been longer then I’ve wanted but it’s on the way. The system is maxed out, and it’s moving as safely and fast as possible right now.

    Stay Safe
    Last edited by ccm303; 22-07-20, 00:54.

    #2
    Ouch. That’s a lot of words in one big delivery. Maybe think about breaking it into more manageable packages? I mean paragraphs...
    My FrankenSub Collection

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by ccm303 View Post
      Don’t go hard on your TDs due to shipping delays. They aren’t driving the vans or flying the planes to ship your rep.

      And there is the problem in a nutshell - these people just aren't motivated.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by p0pperini View Post
        Ouch. That’s a lot of words in one big delivery. Maybe think about breaking it into more manageable packages? I mean paragraphs...
        Sorry, you are right. Kind of slipped my mind.


        Sent from the RWI App

        Comment


          #5
          Thanks for posting that info up ccm303, it certainly helps explain the delays we’ve been seeing.

          I’ve seen the delays impacting other industries / hobbies as well, so I had to assume it was more than just a customs issue.
          R.I.P. TRC... missed by me.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by ccm303 View Post

            Sorry, you are right. Kind of slipped my mind.
            Thanks for updating it buddy! And also, thanks for the informative post - it's interesting to hear about the world of logistics from another perspective.

            My FrankenSub Collection

            Comment


              #7
              ^ Agree. Tks for sharing this Interesting insight
              Last edited by James2020; 22-07-20, 09:14.

              Comment


                #8
                Great post, thanks a lot for the insight!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Good post well explained.

                  ************************************************** ********
                  People always forget, the correct sequence is rape, pillage THEN burn. sfa437
                  ************************************************** *************
                  hmm - from what I know of Guanaco all he'll do is try to make the trouble more fun.... greg_r
                  ************************************************** ********
                  When you say modding, do you mean repeatedly hitting it with a hammer? Mickey Padge




                  Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens


                  Comment


                    #10
                    Thanks for the insightful post.
                    I can’t see things getting better in the near future but waiting a while for a watch is not such a bad thing compared to millions of others in the world and what they’re dealing with.

                    stay safe folks...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Thanks for the insider's view! Good to know some background.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by ccm303 View Post
                        Hi guys, I’ve been a longtime member but haven’t posted. I’ve just read and learned, and have a few reps that I’ve obtained over the past few years off of what I’ve learned here at RWI. Thanks to all you guys. Ive noticed a lot of posts recently about DHL shipping delays. I work for one of the DHL airlines as a Pilot and wanted to give a little insight at least from my perspective over the last few months.

                        First off DHL is not like Fedex and UPS is the sense that FDX and UPS own there own airlines. It’s there airplanes, pilots, mechanics, etc. DHL contracts there flying out to various airlines. Which is good and bad. If one airline under performs, you cut there contract and get another airline. But you have no “direct” control of the planes, pilots, mechanics. So contract negotiations, labor disputes can effect performance but overall the system actually works really well. Actually compared to FDX and UPS, if DHL owned all of the planes and airlines it contracts, it would be the biggest airline in the world.

                        The loads right now out almost every station is absolutely maxed out. Seeing some where between 50-60% load on a freighter was pretty normal Pre-COVID. Since then we have been maxed out at 100% of available load. Now I say available load because the longer the flight, the less payload we can take because we require more fuel. On my aircraft, the 767, even on a long flight we can generally take about 80-90% load capacity, so we aren’t too affected. But the bigger birds are flying 12-16 hour flights, which definitely require fuel over payload. HKG is crazy, as well as ICN, NRT, and CVG right now.

                        DHL also doesn’t care about fuel cost. We fly the DHL birds at a high cost index, which means fly faster, burn more gas, but get to the destination faster, which is what DHL cares about. The cargo literally can’t move any faster. 30 seconds after we shutdown the engines the doors are opening and cargo is flying off.

                        I’ve seen a post about more flights to Asia. Well, unfortunately routes to Asia are restricted buy route and landing rights. So even if DHL wanted more flights to ICN, NRT, HKG, Only a few of the contracted airlines have those route rights. Thus if those airlines are already maxed out and using every airplane available, it can’t be done. Another airline cannot use someone else’s route rights, even if the flight is contracted out to DHL.

                        I can’t speak for the customs side of things because that is something the flight crew is not directly involved in but I’ve seen how many pallets are waiting to go through so I can imagine how backed up it is. Try to be patient, PPE is definitely still being prioritized and planes are maxed. On the flight crew side, we are working hard to keep the cargo moving. Delays happen but that’s part of the business.

                        Don’t go hard on your TDs due to shipping delays. They aren’t driving the vans or flying the planes to ship your rep. I have a rep out in the DHL system right now, it’s been longer then I’ve wanted but it’s on the way. The system is maxed out, and it’s moving as safely and fast as possible right now.

                        Stay Safe
                        OP, do u know what's the time frame ship from HK to California now?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I got my DHL package, delivered, in MO from HK in 3 days

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Asovo View Post

                            OP, do u know what's the time frame ship from HK to California now?
                            Not the OP... but once it actually gets into the hands of DHL, the timeframe is well under a week.
                            At this point, the biggest bottleneck is *getting* it into the DHL network from the couriers.
                            R.I.P. TRC... missed by me.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by OiRogers View Post

                              Not the OP... but once it actually gets into the hands of DHL, the timeframe is well under a week.
                              At this point, the biggest bottleneck is *getting* it into the DHL network from the couriers.
                              This is true for Nevada as well.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X