• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has someone ever noticed that your watch was a Rep?

watchoself

3/6/20
UK
I don't wan't to sound harsh but it's the case that you really can't afford yourself a gen if it comes down to choosing between your kids education, a roof over their head or a gen sub. Not that I could afford it either but there's been so much throwing around the idea if you drive a VW Golf you could afford a gen. Yes you could but no actually you couldn't based on how much it costs compared to everything else you own. Affording ain't exactly if I spend all I have I could easily buy it.

My rushed response probably didn’t illustrate the point properly enough - correct; it’s not an “either or”. More what you could do with the money “saved” with a rep you’re happy with versus gen. am in violent agreement with pretty much every response on the thread

Sent from the RWI App

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
Let’s not kid ourselves too much though, no one wants to spend more than they have to. We have choosen the counterfeit option when we could buy cheaper Gen or homage. I guess we still want to see that Rolex, tudor, AP or Patek on the wrist, this way we can for a % of the outlay.

Last edited:

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Let’s not kid ourselves too much though, no one wants to spend more than they have to. We have choosen the counterfeit option when we could buy cheaper Gen or homage. I guess we still want to see that Rolex, tudor, AP or Patek on the wrist, this way we can for a % of the outlay.

Absolutely correct. For me it's still an incentive that I could afford the watch I choose to wear even if I buy the rep.

Last edited:

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
I’d say that, on average, I’ll get stopped by at least 3 people whenever I leave the house who call me out for wearing a rep. It’s remarkable how interested everyone is in what I’ve got on my wrist, and how quickly folk these days can spot a fake.

Where do you live? Where I live, most people are clueless if it is a rep or a gen.

Most people don't own super high end luxury watches or have ever really seen on up close to be able to know. Most people will just comment "nice watch."

If I see someone wearing a nice luxury watch, I don't try to distinguish if he has a rep or a gen. That's not my style to ask...and like most people who live around me (which is relatively a middle-high class) don't really comment.

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
i was on a plane once and noticed the gentleman next to me was wearing an 116515 chocolate daytona on oysterflex. i have a keen eye for daytonas in particular as i’ve owned many modded daytonas. right away i spotted the white gasket ring around the crystal. we chatted a bit about watches, he seemed a but edgy, but i never called him out. but i knew. moral of the story is if you’re wearing a 30k watch at least buy a comfort plus seat and upgrade from coach! jokes aside, i prefer steel model reps because i think i could never pull off a gold model and look the part

Not true. I have a few gen rolex and I still sit in coach. Having a $16,000 watch that I bought for $6000 back in the day doesn't mean I want to sit in comfort plus. But I get your point :)

Reactions: Katarsis

Fiddo

-----
Gold Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
A guy asked me if my mask was a rep the other day. He said the stitching looked uneven and the color was off...........

Reactions: stufuse

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Where do you live? Where I live, most people are clueless if it is a rep or a gen.

Most people don't own super high end luxury watches or have ever really seen on up close to be able to know. Most people will just comment "nice watch."

If I see someone wearing a nice luxury watch, I don't try to distinguish if he has a rep or a gen. That's not my style to ask...and like most people who live around me (which is relatively a middle-high class) don't really comment.

I live in a small village in the south of England. Unfortunately for me, it's also a major retirement centre for ex-Rolex employees and folk who worked for other major watch brands. Turns out, it's very much like Switzerland where I live, but without the constant ticking - so ideal for retired watch experts who just want peace and quiet. We also have cheese without holes in, which is another big plus apparently.

Last edited:

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I live in a small village in the south of England. Unfortunately for me, it's also a major retirement centre for ex-Rolex employees and folk who worked for other major watch brands. Turns out, it's very much like Switzerland where I live, but without the constant ticking - so ideal for retired watch experts who just want peace and quiet. We also have cheese without holes in, which is another big plus apparently.

In other words, you can walk around flaunting any rep you want as long as it's not a Rolex.

Lucky you!

All my neighbors are either in active duty or
​retired customs officers. Most of them are trained by the "Swizz anti rep watch force".

I can't even leave my house with a franken that is 98% gen. They can smell the 2% rep hundreds if not thousands of meters away.

I kid you not. Its like when sharks smell a drop of blood in the water.

​​​​​
​​​​

​​​

peppercorn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/18
Absolutely correct. For me it's still an incentive that I could afford that I choose to wear even if I buy the rep.

I relate so much to what many have already said.

Having discovered the Rep world has been liberating for me in so many ways. Coming from the gen world it’s as if a tax, although a chosen tax I have paid for years on end, has been lifted. I still have many gens but I wear and enjoy the rep and the freedom it gives with a lightness.
No more worry about theft or loss of any kind and for the price of a gen service I can buy a super rep or three. Slap forehead...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13

You're never going to let that guy go. He's 98% blacklisted.

jeremyhuang13

OG and a Supporter
Supporter
4/10/13
I relate so much to what many have already said.

Having discovered the Rep world has been liberating for me in so many ways. Coming from the gen world it’s as if a tax, although a chosen tax I have paid for years on end, has been lifted. I still have many gens but I wear and enjoy the rep and the freedom it gives with a lightness.
No more worry about theft or loss of any kind and for the price of a gen service I can buy a super rep or three. Slap forehead...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't agree more to what you said. I wear my gen ONLY on a very special occasion largely due to being afraid of losing it or getting robbed. I have a bunch of reps that I don't mind losing or getting it scuffed up at all. Plus, watches like Patek 5711/1r is something I am always curious in wearing but never can justify spending that kind of money for a gen. I can wear it sparely and sell it when I no longer want it here :)

Reactions: Notenuff

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
So much covered in this thread, houses, dicks, cars.... oh and watches LOL
I have never had someone call me out, whether wearing Gen or Rep. I only have had compliments, and usually they are on the Brand.

So to the OP - it's a no for me

Reactions: Katarsis

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
I must live in a part of the world where people are all short sighted, clueless, or realistically just have better things to do than check out people’s watches.
And even if they have a passing interest in watches, I fail to see how you are going to be called out on any high end watch at arms length.
People really don’t care what watch you’re wearing, and if they admire fine watches, they will not call out a high end rep at distance.
Ive been in to look at gens , with no intention to show off my rep, and as said earlier, very few sales staff would be able to spot your rep at distance, in fact the majority would not know if they held it in there hand.
So if you’ve been called out on a decent rep, you must be hanging out at high end factories, because in real life, it’s not happening unless you’re waving it under the nose of a skilled watchmaker.

Reactions: mpx

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I must live in a part of the world where people are all short sighted, clueless, or realistically just have better things to do than check out people’s watches.
And even if they have a passing interest in watches, I fail to see how you are going to be called out on any high end watch at arms length.
People really don’t care what watch you’re wearing, and if they admire fine watches, they will not call out a high end rep at distance.
Ive been in to look at gens , with no intention to show off my rep, and as said earlier, very few sales staff would be able to spot your rep at distance, in fact the majority would not know if they held it in there hand.
So if you’ve been called out on a decent rep, you must be hanging out at high end factories, because in real life, it’s not happening unless you’re waving it under the nose of a skilled watchmaker.

You haven't met my bus driver.