• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has someone ever noticed that your watch was a Rep?

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I think this is an excellent point. Maybe we are looking for that 1% of people who could detect a Rep, when we are definitely part of that 1% ourselves. I think the experience that PorscheRacer explains is very interesting: have you ever detected a Rep in another person? And I don't mean, of course, the 'AAA' watches bought on a beach in Florida, but a high quality Rep, NWBIG. Have you ever been talking to someone, or shown you their watch, and been sure it was a Rep? And not because of his looks, not because of his dress, his car or his social status, but because of the watch itself.

Yes I have, but it has to be a specific and very blatant tell. For example a Nautilus with the minute dot by the date window. Or a Milgauss with green AR coating. Or a green dial, bluesy Submariner with shitty and rounded edged lugs (which I literally saw a week ago).

Other than that, you can never be sure, especially because of what pompompurin very rightly said. Even if it looks sketchy you can’t 100% know if that’s an aftermarket replacement gasket/crystal/whatever.

On the “buy the person not the watch” it also has to be a very very obvious tell, meaning a really low income way of life guy wearing a really expensive watch. Even a good bartender could afford a Seamaster (or it could be a grad present from grandpa). And of course any mid-level office guy can afford a Submariner paid in three or four years. It’s probably less than his car. I made the following reasoning in another similar thread:

1. check how much is a VW Golf from an AD
2. over the weekend, check how many Golfs can you spot
3. now just do the maths. Each of those Golfs cost more than a genuine Royal Oak/Daytona/Aquanaut
4. I don’t think all Golf drivers are high-income luxury-lifestyle people

I tend to think all watches are gen unless a blatant flaw is spotted. Hell, sometimes I even think mine is genuine, makes me happy. Then I go back to think I’ve saved myself €10.000 and I’m even happier.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Yes I have, but it has to be a specific and very blatant tell. For example a Nautilus with the minute dot by the date window. Or a Milgauss with green AR coating. Or a green dial, bluesy Submariner with shitty and rounded edged lugs (which I literally saw a week ago).

Other than that, you can never be sure, especially because of what pompompurin very rightly said. Even if it looks sketchy you can’t 100% know if that’s an aftermarket replacement gasket/crystal/whatever.

On the “buy the person not the watch” it also has to be a very very obvious tell, meaning a really low income way of life guy wearing a really expensive watch. Even a good bartender could afford a Seamaster (or it could be a grad present from grandpa). And of course any mid-level office guy can afford a Submariner paid in three or four years. It’s probably less than his car. I made the following reasoning in another similar thread:

1. check how much is a VW Golf from an AD
2. over the weekend, check how many Golfs can you spot
3. now just do the maths. Each of those Golfs cost more than a genuine Royal Oak/Daytona/Aquanaut
4. I don’t think all Golf drivers are high-income luxury-lifestyle people

I tend to think all watches are gen unless a blatant flaw is spotted. Hell, sometimes I even think mine is genuine, makes me happy. Then I go back to think I’ve saved myself €10.000 and I’m even happier.

Very well put.

I used to live in a studio apartment with my girlfriend, drove a cheap car, working in warehousees and construction and looked lika a surfer/skater with lots of tattoos.

At that time I had 150k invested in the stock market.

Today I live in a 600k house with a pool and don't work anymore. I'm at home with the kids instead enjoying life. I still drive cheap cars and look like skater though.

​​​​​
​​​​​

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
I'm at home with the kids instead enjoying life.
​​​​​
​​​​​

Trying to figure out if you're now enjoying life at home with the kids or you're home stuck with them instead of enjoying life.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Trying to figure out if you're now enjoying life at home with the kids or you're home stuck with them instead of enjoying life.

Lol! They are a pita sometimes but overall I've never been so happy as I am now.

For me, getting kids was the best thing I could do.
I quit drinking, partying, doing lines. Instead I bought a house that I renovated and spend most of my time on playgrounds and stuff.

PorscheRacer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/4/18
Bicester - UK
I’ve only recently got into watches and started noticing them. I worked for a consultant for a while who had a nice Panerai, met a recruiter sporting a Rolex, saw a guy wearing an AP on the train, met an old colleague for lunch who had a seamaster. I kind of took it for granted all these were real and gen but now I seriously don’t know. The train AP guy had on a nice suit but do people who have $20000 watches catch public transport? I like watches and have an eye for detail but highly doubt now I’ve looked into these nwbig that I could tell the difference.
While I like quite a few luxury watch brands such as Panerai and Cartier I feel that spending $6000 on a watch, even if I could afford it, is a bit selfish. The watch would be for me only and so what does the rest of the family get? $6000 buys a few holidays which the whole family gets to enjoy. So a rep now allows me to have a watch who’s design I really like and we can still have a holiday.

I think your observation about public transport is misleading.

I will assume your are in the US because you used dollars, but in the UK and Europe (and elsewhere), using the train or subway etc is a perfectly normal for anyone on business and certainly still normal for people who would be wearing a $20,000 watch and a suit.

There are thousands of people in London and other UK cities getting the train/subway/tram to work every day with a $10,000 or $20,000 watch on their wrist.

It’s fairly normal from my observations.

I often sit in meetings at work with Architects, Engineers etc and glance round the table and everyone is wearing Submariners or GMT’s etc

I had a meeting with my accountant last month, and as we chatted I noticed he was wearing a Hulk. He’s just a fairly young guy maybe 36 and had his own accountancy business a few years now, and I guess why not treat himself?

Sure, if you are a CEO or high level executive, then you would probably have a private company car and driver to use rather than the subway, but you may still use the train to go between cities, but most likely use first class.

But I totally concur with other people who say if the watch matches your lifestyle, no one will ever question it.

Without sounding like a dick, my wife walks round with a $17,000 diamond Datejust and a $16,000 Cartier trinity ring on, we both dress well, and live in a $950,000 house and have nice cars on the driveway, so I’ve never once been asked about the cost or legitimacy of my watches by anyone.

(I sounded like a dick didn’t I?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryan4240

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/20
never happened to me before but I think its because many people just dont know about watches. If someone is really into it he could spot a difference. But generally, if they just stand in front of you they wont notice. But as some of the others already said: if it fits your appearance you should be ok

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
We have a 600k and a 950k house in this page alone in this thread.

I feel I cannot afford even reps now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Katarsis and gilrob

Bstolz

Horology Curious
28/7/20
Wait, you guys can buy a HOUSE for 600k in your area?

Lucky bastards, all that got me was a measly apartment.

to be fair the apartment is pretty dope but still ...

Reactions: Katarsis

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Wait, you guys can buy a HOUSE for 600k in your area?

Lucky bastards, all that got me was a measly apartment.

to be fair the apartment is pretty dope but still ...

What can I say. I'm happy i don't live in London or New York.

0YAVR.jpg

0Y0t1.jpg

Bstolz

Horology Curious
28/7/20
Damn that looks great. Good for you buddy! Won’t post my kitchen cuz it kinda stinks even tho it’s in a mayor metropolitan area in Europe so I guess that’s that.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
I don’t buy into the wear a watch that fits your lifestyle rubbish.

My own experience seems to be the opposite of what’s said. the people who could buy what they want and not flinch are the ones that look like they couldn’t (not all but most) and the people who look like they could afford the stuff they have the expensive cars, clothes, watches etc are the ones spreading their costs over years on deals and working their bollox off to keep it all around them.

Last edited:

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I don’t buy into the wear a watch that fits your lifestyle rubbish.

My own experience seems to be the opposite of what’s said. the people who could buy what they want and not flinch are the ones that look like they couldn’t (not all but most) and the people who look like they could afford the stuff they have the expensive cars, clothes, watches etc are the ones spreading their costs over years on deals and working their bollox off to keep it all around them.

I agree and that was kind of my point.

Reactions: stufuse

James2020

1/6/20
I think your observation about public transport is misleading.

I will assume your are in the US because you used dollars, but in the UK and Europe (and elsewhere), using the train or subway etc is a perfectly normal for anyone on business and certainly still normal for people who would be wearing a $20,000 watch and a suit.

There are thousands of people in London and other UK cities getting the train/subway/tram to work every day with a $10,000 or $20,000 watch on their wrist.

It’s fairly normal from my observations.

I often sit in meetings at work with Architects, Engineers etc and glance round the table and everyone is wearing Submariners or GMT’s etc

I had a meeting with my accountant last month, and as we chatted I noticed he was wearing a Hulk. He’s just a fairly young guy maybe 36 and had his own accountancy business a few years now, and I guess why not treat himself?

Sure, if you are a CEO or high level executive, then you would probably have a private company car and driver to use rather than the subway, but you may still use the train to go between cities, but most likely use first class.

But I totally concur with other people who say if the watch matches your lifestyle, no one will ever question it.

Without sounding like a dick, my wife walks round with a $17,000 diamond Datejust and a $16,000 Cartier trinity ring on, we both dress well, and live in a $950,000 house and have nice cars on the driveway, so I’ve never once been asked about the cost or legitimacy of my watches by anyone.

(I sounded like a dick didn’t I?)

Yea, you sound like dick but a nice one.... wait, that sounds so wrong. LOL

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Very well put.

I used to live in a studio apartment with my girlfriend, drove a cheap car, working in warehousees and construction and looked lika a surfer/skater with lots of tattoos.

At that time I had 150k invested in the stock market.

Today I live in a 600k house with a pool and don't work anymore. I'm at home with the kids instead enjoying life. I still drive cheap cars and look like skater though.

​​​​​
​​​​​

Yep, add me to the list. I always tell the story of when I was about to get myself a gen Sub with my first good bonus. I ended up getting a Noob and added the bonus to our savings towards a house. Now we have a good flat in London, another in my hometown Barcelona and my kids will inherit one each.

And once our savings go up again, they won’t be put towards a gen watch of course. Tuition fees on world class unis aren’t cheap and I’d like to make sure they have all the opportunities they can.

I’m sure they will be more thankful to have a good career and a house for free than the whole “this watch is a legacy” bull crap that luxury industry wants to push, ha.

watchoself

3/6/20
UK
Yep, add me to the list. I always tell the story of when I was about to get myself a gen Sub with my first good bonus. I ended up getting a Noob and added the bonus to our savings towards a house. Now we have a good flat in London, another in my hometown Barcelona and my kids will inherit one each.

And once our savings go up again, they won’t be put towards a gen watch of course. Tuition fees on world class unis aren’t cheap and I’d like to make sure they have all the opportunities they can.

I’m sure they will be more thankful to have a good career and a house for free than the whole “this watch is a legacy” bull crap that luxury industry wants to push, ha.

With you on this (and congrats as a fellow london house owner). I’d rather hand down an education or have experiences together

There are three gens that I’ll be buying as milestones for sentimental (and because they are not well repped reasons haha) but only once other priorities are secured

Sent from the RWI App

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
With you on this (and congrats as a fellow london house owner). I’d rather hand down an education or have experiences together

There are three gens that I’ll be buying as milestones for sentimental (and because they are not well repped reasons haha) but only once other priorities are secured

Sent from the RWI App

I don't wan't to sound harsh but it's the case that you really can't afford yourself a gen if it comes down to choosing between your kids education, a roof over their head or a gen sub. Not that I could afford it either but there's been so much throwing around the idea if you drive a VW Golf you could afford a gen. Yes you could but no actually you couldn't based on how much it costs compared to everything else you own. Affording ain't exactly if I spend all I have I could easily buy it.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I don't wan't to sound harsh but it's the case that you really can't afford yourself a gen if it comes down to choosing between your kids education, a roof over their head or a gen sub. Not that I could afford it either but there's been so much throwing around the idea if you drive a VW Golf you could afford a gen. Yes you could but no actually you couldn't based on how much it costs compared to everything else you own. Affording ain't exactly if I spend all I have I could easily buy it.

Yes it's true.

When I didn't have kids I could travel, but whatever I wanted and still Sav alot of money.

I could buy a gen Rolex today but I rather go on a holiday with my family.

Everything comes down to what is most important to me.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

c_hall100

El Presidente
Gold Patron
Certified
14/2/20
UK
Exactly that gents it’s all about the justification not affordability..... they are two entirely different things

What one can afford spending vs what one can justify spending can be worlds apart

A lot also depends on at what stage of life people are at, ie just starting out with a hefty mortgage, car finance, credit card bills etc etc or at a more comfortable stage in life no mortgage, Car purchased outright, kids through school etc

Unless of course your lucky and got plenty of bonce then you can but what the hell you like

Sent from my iPhone 11 using Tapatalk