• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has someone ever noticed that your watch was a Rep?

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
I just bought my first replica, I have never used one, but I have a lot of Gen watches. I have to say that it's very difficult for me to perceive the difference, if someone else wore it I would not detect that it is not Gen.. I wonder, out of curiosity, if anyone has ever noticed that your watch was a replica.

karimeldib

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/8/19
London
There is a saying I read on the forum once, 95% of people notice you are wearing a watch, only 5% notice the brand of your watch and 1% may know their way around your watch.

I wear my watches for my own happiness, only one or two of people I know notice the brands I'm wearing but they have no clue they are original or rep.

Long story short, enjoy your watch, whether original or a rep :)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I’d say that, on average, I’ll get stopped by at least 3 people whenever I leave the house who call me out for wearing a rep. It’s remarkable how interested everyone is in what I’ve got on my wrist, and how quickly folk these days can spot a fake.

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Never ever. I had my gen 11613 called out by a doctor once. He thought because I was a disabled vet I was low income. I showed him the watch and he was half way satisfied. I look out the window and which car was his. He point to a mid level C class Mercedes. I pointed and said hey you parked next to me, I am the red car next to yours in the handi cap spot. It was my 2017 BMW convertible 650i with Dinan stage 1. He seemed a bit deflated.

Last edited:

PorscheRacer

2/4/18
Bicester - UK
Never.

Decent Reps are very good these days.

As I discussed in the other thread, I have Gen Rolex models and some Rolex Reps, and I have just spent some time staring at my GMF V3 GMT and Noob V10 GMT right next to my Gen GMT and I cannot see any noticeable differences.

Yes, you geeks who spend hours examining them and using macro close-up photographs to compare differences will of course notice things that are not perfect, but ‘normal people’ will never notice.

Even people who are interested in watches will never notice.

If your clothes/house/cars/job match your watch, or watch collection, no one will ever question it.

But if you work in McDonalds and drive a $1500 car, then I expect people will be suspicious if you have a ‘$10,000 Rolex’ on your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
Rolex = FAKE

General public haven’t got a clue if you wear anything else but Rolex and they would automatically assume it’s from some Thai market anyway for 30quid.

You can mince around wearing your Patek Philippe perpetual grand complications and as long as you’re putting enough salt on the fries and the Big Mac’s have the right amount of gerkins on then your good to go :thumbsup:

Sir Savien

11/1/19
Europe
I have a sub rep and some omegas, and never ever someone called me out about them. But I also have some gens, and flipping a lot with them, so the people who know me, know that i am a watch freak.
Once I gave my arf sub to a guy with a gen Yachtmaster on his wrist. He made me some compliments about it, and handed it back...
I think you must be verry unlucky to meet someone who can spot the fake from your wrist.

Valdon Sadiki

18/6/20

A friend met a guy Who was trying to sell him some watches today, he claimd they were genuine and my friend sent me a picture of what the guy was wearing on his wrist, i do not know if its the same ref as the one i compered it to but by the size of the crown, the size of the sub dials, the lack of crown gouards and the space from crown to pushers i think its i rep. Not 100% sure, it could be the bad picture quality, also i am No expert.

I have never seen a watch in real life on someones wrist and could tell it was a rep from a distanse, sure someone would be Abel to, but i have not experienced it! I think it depends on the way you look in general, like what you are wearing, what kind of car you are driving and things like that.

I am sure that if you are wearing a Rolex some People Will think its fake, only rude and stupid People Will call you out and qustion you in public.

Enjoy yourself and wear whatever you want! :)

Best regards!

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/2/19
Once while at work, a gentleman complimented my watch, not really a wealthy one I said that I collect them for years etc etc..He told me I also love watches and showed me his sub and told me he was saving for over 10 years for buying it... that’s passion.

At the end of the day this is a hobby and for a lot of the people seems more stupid rather than a show off of wealthy to spend over 12000€ on a watch.

Reactions: Dokraven

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
It happens all the time. Yesterday for example the bus driver pointed out that the edges on the hour markers on my dssd was to sharp.

I told him that QC at Rolex isn't what it used to be and tried to change the topic but I could tell that he knew I was lying.

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
It happens all the time. Yesterday for example the bus driver pointed out that the edges on the hour markers on my dssd was to sharp.

I told him that QC at Rolex isn't what it used to be and tried to change the topic but I could tell that he knew I was lying.

#heartbroken

:lmao:

Reactions: Katarsis

Eldonsimon

Supporter
Certified
16/8/16
Sunny Barcelona

Brilliant!

Reactions: Katarsis

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
I especially hate it when someone on the street removes my caseback and laughs at me because I didn't spend the extra bucks for the Sub clone movement. Damn ...
No, honestly, when you wear the watch with confidence and it's not completely out of your league (I'd avoid Richard Mille and PP Nautilus for example), you should be fine. Especially with the high end reps we deal with here. A DH Gate shitter might get called out, but I doubt that even that will happen.

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
It is evident that normal people will not detect that the watch you wear on your wrist is a Rep. However, some people perhaps are in environments where it is very common for people to have a lot of knowledge about watches: businessmen with very expensive watches, collectors, etc. My question is if anyone, at some time in your life, has noticed that your watch is a Rep. The question is not if everyone realizes all the time that the watch is not Gen. Because it is obvious that 99% of the world will never realize that.

But what happens to that 1%? Have you met them?

Last edited:
Reactions: cap923

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
If you are a Pizza delivery guy (with all due respect, it's just an example) and you wear a gold patek, people who know you, and know watches, will definitely know that it's a rep, even if you inherited it and it's 100% gen.

If you work for a law firm or have a good job and wear a 10$ beach fake, people will expect it to be real, and won't even question it.

This is if people know your background, so like family, friends or friends of friends.

The biggest tell of a rep is you.

If you are talking about strangers then, unless you are wearing a rep of a 900k watch or something extreme, they won't give a shit, unless they know watches (or reps) a lot, there is NO WAY for them to call you out.

BTW, no one will call you out, people would "suspect" at best, but won't openly say it

Last edited:

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
In my case, although I am young, I work in a consulting firm, I drive a BMW and I own some Gen watches (Omega and Tag Heuer). However, I really like to vary and wear different watches on my wrist, so I have decided to explore the world of Rep. However, among my coworkers, and especially my bosses, it is very common to wear expensive watches. Many of them are collectors, or own 10-15k watches. Do you think that people with knowledge of watches could distinguish that my wristwatch is a Rep? My Hubot Classic Fusion Rep is identical to the one worn by one of my coworkers, personally I can't find any difference. Do you think he wouldn't find it either, for example? Have you never had a negative experience, because someone has realized that it is a Rep?

Last edited:

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
I’d say that, on average, I’ll get stopped by at least 3 people whenever I leave the house who call me out for wearing a rep. It’s remarkable how interested everyone is in what I’ve got on my wrist, and how quickly folk these days can spot a fake.

3 people only? That's what I call a calm neighbourhood...

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
In my case, although I am young, I work in a consulting firm, I drive a BMW and I own some Gen watches (Omega and Tag Heuer). However, I really like to vary and wear different watches on my wrist, so I have decided to explore the world of Rep. However, among my coworkers, and especially my bosses, it is very common to wear expensive watches. Many of them are collectors, or own 10-15k watches. Do you think that people with knowledge of watches could distinguish that my wristwatch is a Rep? My Hubot Classic Fusion Rep is identical to the one worn by one of my coworkers, personally I can't find any difference. Do you think he wouldn't find it either, for example? Have you never had a negative experience, because someone has realized that it is a Rep?

afaik the classic fusion is a very good rep, as long as you don't let him keep it in his hands you won't have any problems with that.

A classic fusion is good for your income, pretty credible, i wouldn't be that worried

Docrolex

Known Member
28/12/19
Germany
I am collecting Rolex watches for decades now, have some reps, more gens than reps, have been building several frankens out of complete gen. Parts, and I definitely can not tell if a Watch is fake or not when worn on someones wrist. Apart from the supercheap beach fakes, of course. There are so many Submariner and GMT Pepsi lookalikes out there, when on a wrist , it is hard to spot if they have a Crown on the dial or something different, which is intended to imitate it . Only thing I could maybe tell on the spot is the poor magnification ratio of the date cyclops on cheap fakes.

Reactions: thegolfman