• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has someone ever noticed that your watch was a Rep?

philiusmaximus

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/2/14
UK
Never had anyone call out. Had people question direct if fake. I always put that down to their insecurities and the hope that it is.
But I'm realistic with my reps. I would be too embarrassed to wear a rep of a 20 grand watch that I couldn't pull off.

But a five or six grand watch isn't beyond reach at all, considering that's what my current collection amounts to in value anyway ????

The only time you can say someone is wearing a rep for certain is when it doesn't fit in with the rest of their style. Like the old bloke in my gym with the ruby encrusted rolex. He has holes in his trainers and it's not fooling anybody.

Reactions: Katarsis

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
Never happened to me, but once at the office a buddy of mine came to me and asked about our mutual friend's watch. He was wearing an Omega Speedmaster, I don't recall which one exactly, but worth probably like 6-7k. For that fellow it was probably like a 3-month salary so it made my buddy curious. The watch was of course gen.

maison888

I'm Pretty Popular
7/8/14
This right here.

No one really cares except us.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

But to answer the question, never but typically once I get into a deeper conversation about watches with strangers I end up telling them it's a rep. No shame in wearing reps in my opinion...whether you can afford gen or not. You like it, it looks good, it makes you happy, wear it!

It's typically the 20-30 year old kids wearing Gucci and LV from top to bottom who tends to eyeball my wrist. Then I typically get the "hey nice watch, is that a xxx?" which most times they either guess some random brand or wait for me to finish their sentence.

Last edited:

HG 2000

Supporter
22/7/20
Never had anyone call out. Had people question direct if fake. I always put that down to their insecurities and the hope that it is.
But I'm realistic with my reps. I would be too embarrassed to wear a rep of a 20 grand watch that I couldn't pull off.

But a five or six grand watch isn't beyond reach at all, considering that's what my current collection amounts to in value anyway ????

The only time you can say someone is wearing a rep for certain is when it doesn't fit in with the rest of their style. Like the old bloke in my gym with the ruby encrusted rolex. He has holes in his trainers and it's not fooling anybody.

You bring up a great point. I get people that compliment my watches, and then immediately ask if it’s fake. It’s their insecurities hoping that it is so they feel more comfortable with themselves.

I also agree with the gen conversation and being able to wear it. I bought a gen sky-dweller at retail and felt insanely cautious every time I wore it. It was more of a headache than anything. Sold it for a nice profit and now wear the rep sky dweller with almost too much disregard because if something happens, its only 400 for a new one haha.
That feeling in itself is pretty liberating.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I was at the playground the other day wearing an unmodded ARF SD43.

I spotted a guy wearing what I was almost certain was a Oris 65 on nato.

Later we started talking and he complimented my watch. I thanked him and said that I noticed his watch earlier and asked if it was a 65.

It was, and we quickly looked at each others watches at a rep friendly distance and automatically started blabbering about watches untill we had to go our separate ways

Bromance at its best.

I am sure that this is how most watch encounters go about. The ones who compliment or ask are most of the time genuinely interested in watches.

​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited:

Alwaysblue99

18/7/20
I wonder if the region changes things at all.
Here in blighty people tend to be envious of success and often try to pull you down a peg or two.
In Italy for example people will gather round a nice Ferrari and engage with the owner
Here in the UK they would say you must have a small cock!
I think I've been doubted on my watch once (I like watches and have some nice mid level gens) he looked at it a bit funny but didn't call me out but I could tell the doubt was there.
I also think it's how you wear your watch that will call you out
If you take it off the wrist and pass it about then people can assess the quality of the finish up close
If you keep it on the wrist and don't make a fuss and wear it with discreet swagger then nobody has any reason to doubt you

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
One thing that would make me think is when someone wore a new mid to high tier watch every other day. Like some of us who have collections tend to do.

Having one nice watch isn't very uncommon and most people could save up to buy one if they set their mind to it.

But if someone notices watches like I do and see that a bloke has 10-15 expensive pieces that would definitely make me wonder where he got his money and why he spent it all on watches.

Reactions: stufuse

BOSSK

Renowned Member
22/3/17
Oz
I have a colleague who has parked a bit of his savings in a couple of watches that have a good projection in increasing/holding value. I imagine a lot of Gen owners do this too. So it’s not like they are really wealthy and have a ‘spare’ 50k to throw at frivolous things necessarily, But rather park their money in some nice watches. There are so many variables that a proper judgement is very, very difficult to make without very intimate knowledge of the watch wearer.

Last edited:

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
One thing that would make me think is when someone wore a new mid to high tier watch every other day. Like some of us who have collections tend to do.

Having one nice watch isn't very uncommon and most people could save up to buy one if they set their mind to it.

But if someone notices watches like I do and see that a bloke has 10-15 expensive pieces that would definitely make me wonder where he got his money and why he spent it all on watches.

This occurred to me as well. It’s one thing to wear a $30k gen on special occasions, but another to casually wear one playing golf. It’s a little too ridiculous. Not that people don’t do that, but not in my circles. So I’m trending toward lower profile reps when playing golf now, an Air King, Aqua Terra, etc.

the funny thing is, I’ve never gotten a single comment on 30 years of golfing in my gen DJ. Proves the point that no one cares or even notices.

Reactions: Katarsis

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
This occurred to me as well. It’s one thing to wear a $30k gen on special occasions, but another to casually wear one playing golf. It’s a little too ridiculous. Not that people don’t do that, but not in my circles. So I’m trending toward lower profile reps when playing golf now, an Air King, Aqua Terra, etc.

the funny thing is, I’ve never gotten a single comment on 30 years of golfing in my gen DJ. Proves the point that no one cares or even notices.

Who even wears a watch when playing golf? All the players I know are serious players and wearing a watch on a course is a big no.

Maybe in US where some people play golf wearing sandals but not in Europe.

BOSSK

Renowned Member
22/3/17
Oz
Who even wears a watch when playing golf? All the players I know are serious players and wearing a watch on a course is a big no.

Maybe in US where some people play golf wearing sandals but not in Europe.

I can’t imagine the shockwave up the shaft/arm at impact would be terribly good for the movement, I guess Phil’s been doing it for years though.

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
I can’t imagine the shockwave up the shaft/arm at impact would be terribly good for the movement, I guess Phil’s been doing it for years though.

You would bust your movement. I know one guy who hit a hidden rock or just a bad swing hitting the ground and busted his DJs movement it stopped.

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
Another good point is, who do you tell the truth to? I mean, who knows the watch you're wearing is a Rep? Some people prefer to be honest and tell everyone that their watch is a Rep.

In my case, I only buy Rep watches that I could afford to buy Gen, and I save that valuable money, which I prefer to invest in my investment funds, in my retirement, in my house or in trips. But to all my colleagues and friends, if they ask me, I say that the watch is Gen. I interact with top executives, watch collectors and wealthy people, among whom wearing a replica is frowned upon.

What do you do? Do you tell everyone, your close friends, only your wife and family, or directly to no one?

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Another good point is, who do you tell the truth to? I mean, who knows the watch you're wearing is a Rep? Some people prefer to be honest and tell everyone that their watch is a Rep.

In my case, I only buy Rep watches that I could afford to buy Gen, and I save that valuable money, which I prefer to invest in my investment funds, in my retirement, in my house or in trips. But to all my colleagues and friends, if they ask me, I say that the watch is Gen. I interact with top executives, watch collectors and wealthy people, among whom wearing a replica is frowned upon.

What do you do? Do you tell everyone, your close friends, only your wife and family, or directly to no one?

No you cant this has already been covered here. I’ll only wear reps that I can afford in gen but I prefer to buy food and to live in a home is not affording. Lets not start that discussion again.

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
No you cant this has already been covered here. I’ll only wear reps that I can afford in gen but I prefer to buy food and to live in a home is not affording. Lets not start that discussion again.

so which reps can you afford, well I mean afford if you don’t buy food, at least you can sell more spare bracelet links m2m :D

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20

I don't intend to go back to that discussion. In any case, I understand 'afford' to mean being able to buy it for myself with all my needs and comforts covered (a good house, a good car, good clothes, savings, education for my children, etc.) If on top of all that, I can afford a Gen watch, I buy a Rep and save that money for other luxuries, such as my private fund or other trips.

In any case, in my post I didn't intend to go back to that point (buying what you can afford). In my post I wanted to open a discussion about who you tell that your watch is a replica.

As I said before, in my case, if someone asks me, I always say it's a Gen watch. Except my wife, of course. Among my circle of friends, or work, it's really frowned upon to wear replicas. In your case, who do you tell that your watch is Rep? Everyone, your closest circle, or absolutely no one?

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I don't shout about the fact they're reps and let people assume they're Gen (if indeed, that is what they think), but I certainly don't disguise the fact they're Reps and always say so if asked (save for one time where I misled someone at my wife's behest and hated it; I felt awful). All my friends know they're reps.