• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has someone ever noticed that your watch was a Rep?

c_hall100

El Presidente
Gold Patron
Certified
14/2/20
UK
Never.

Decent Reps are very good these days.

As I discussed in the other thread, I have Gen Rolex models and some Rolex Reps, and I have just spent some time staring at my GMF V3 GMT and Noob V10 GMT right next to my Gen GMT and I cannot see any noticeable differences.

Yes, you geeks who spend hours examining them and using macro close-up photographs to compare differences will of course notice things that are not perfect, but ‘normal people’ will never notice.

Even people who are interested in watches will never notice.

If your clothes/house/cars/job match your watch, or watch collection, no one will ever question it.

But if you work in McDonalds and drive a $1500 car, then I expect people will be suspicious if you have a ‘$10,000 Rolex’ on your wrist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn’t agree more with this, people will look at the “package” not just the watch

But then I’m in my mid 40’s live in a large house and drive a Range Rover and wear decent clothes when out and about, why would anybody bother with questioning them, they are not interested in my watches 99% of the time. In actual fact most of my friends wear apple watches and they have more £££££ than I do

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sir Savien

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/1/19
Europe
In my case, although I am young, I work in a consulting firm, I drive a BMW and I own some Gen watches (Omega and Tag Heuer). However, I really like to vary and wear different watches on my wrist, so I have decided to explore the world of Rep. However, among my coworkers, and especially my bosses, it is very common to wear expensive watches. Many of them are collectors, or own 10-15k watches. Do you think that people with knowledge of watches could distinguish that my wristwatch is a Rep? My Hubot Classic Fusion Rep is identical to the one worn by one of my coworkers, personally I can't find any difference. Do you think he wouldn't find it either, for example? Have you never had a negative experience, because someone has realized that it is a Rep?

Mate, I congratulate you, that you bought the rep of an Hublot, cause the gen istn‘t worth the money.

Reactions: James2020 and mpx

jc0515

15/5/20
Boston
I've never had someone notice a rep, but I have a lot of high-end gens, so I usually wear them. On the opposite side of that, I have noticed reps on others. While I ask them about the watch, since I, like all of us, notice watches, I never call anyone out - how can I <smile>. One of my big gen brands is Breitling, so when I see one, I always ask. People are always surprised when you recognize a brand other than Rolex or Omega. One time, someone I was coaching little league with was wear an IWC, which I commented on and his response was "Oh, is this a good watch? Someone gave it to me." Anyway to each his/her own

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
No one looks or notices yes but every time I wear my ZZF with ETA clone where the very bottom of the rehaut doesn't align with the markers this is how it feels going outside...

780dc9b8accca7338f7a09b5b5e7de95.jpeg

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
No one looks or notices yes but every time I wear my ZZF with ETA clone where the very bottom of the rehaut doesn't align with the markers this is how it feels going outside...

780dc9b8accca7338f7a09b5b5e7de95.jpeg

Thank your lucky star you don't have my bus driver.

Mille Voci

7/7/20
Italy
It happens all the time. Yesterday for example the bus driver pointed out that the edges on the hour markers on my dssd was to sharp.

I told him that QC at Rolex isn't what it used to be and tried to change the topic but I could tell that he knew I was lying.

The next time tell the bus driver to keep his eyes on the road otherwise in addition to having an ulcer for the reps he also risks crashing all lol

Reactions: Katarsis

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
I only get called out by TSA agents who spot how jagged the markers on my Daytona are. Those guys are incredible. One time two of them got into an argument over the model. One thought it was noob cause of the dial the other thought it was arf because of the lugs. Noob guy pulled a gun out on arf guy and I had to step in and tell them they were both right.
I only wear gmt now

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
I am collecting Rolex watches for decades now, have some reps, more gens than reps, have been building several frankens out of complete gen. Parts, and I definitely can not tell if a Watch is fake or not when worn on someones wrist. Apart from the supercheap beach fakes, of course. There are so many Submariner and GMT Pepsi lookalikes out there, when on a wrist , it is hard to spot if they have a Crown on the dial or something different, which is intended to imitate it . Only thing I could maybe tell on the spot is the poor magnification ratio of the date cyclops on cheap fakes.

I mean, if we can’t tell, who could...? Me gens look good but so do my reps...and life moves fast, who really notices watches in any detail anymore?

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
I think it's obvious to everyone that 99% of people will never detect a replica. Most responses to this topic underline that, and I agree, and I think it's something obvious. But my question is: if some collector, or owner of the original model, observed or held your replica, do you think he would detect that it is a replica? And has it ever happened to you?

James2020

1/6/20
I think it's obvious to everyone that 99% of people will never detect a replica. Most responses to this topic underline that, and I agree, and I think it's something obvious. But my question is: if some collector, or owner of the original model, observed or held your replica, do you think he would detect that it is a replica? And has it ever happened to you?

If the collector is a truly an expert, it’s likely he can tell... in each brand section of this forum, we have members who can call out reps by just looking at the photos.

I’m curious why would a person pass the rep to such an expert? What is the rep owner trying to achieve?

Member X

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/09
I once inadvertantly passed a cheapie (2813, bi-directional bezel, non-working bezel lock) ProPlof to a jeweller / watch smith as he showed interest - I told him it was a rep straight from the off. Just be straight with people. If they judge you, they aren't people you want or need to be friends with.

Reactions: schlonz

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
When I sold sunglasses highend ones I had a customer who wore a plastic casio but payd with a Black American Express. So I assumed his casio was fake, lol. Its really how you present your self. If you are wearing a DSSD and stepping out of a $3k Honda Civic that may give it away. Or if you borrow your friends MCLaren 570S everyone will think its real. So buy your self a BMW 7 series for cheap and most will not know. In the end I love the way a watch looks but I dont want to spend $13k on one no matter how great unless I won the lotto. I dont think its smart to save for 10 years to buy a watch, but if thats what you like do it. I am ok with spending $500 and most people wont notice. I wore a Parnis a copy if Panerai 111 and few people thought it was real Panerai. Becaus3 most people dont know. And ones that do usually are passing by and cannot tell.

Hodonkey

31/5/17
New York
Not a new thought at all, but the real question for me: What's my intent in buying/wearing reps?

If you just want to look like you have more money than you do then you'll always feel like someone is over your shoulder waiting to call you out. Wear what you want to wear, feel confident in your decision, and don't forget to have fun with it.

jhezerrheyreyes

19/10/18
Philippines
I’m an Asian and I usually work with European guys offshore. When I wear my gen, they’re teasing me that it is a rep but everytime I wear a rep, they don’t believe that it is a rep!! Haha!!

James2020

1/6/20
I’m an Asian and I usually work with European guys offshore. When I wear my gen, they’re teasing me that it is a rep but everytime I wear a rep, they don’t believe that it is a rep!! Haha!!

Was your gen a Patek tourbillon and your rep a Casio gshock? LOL...

Reactions: EuroTime25

superduperbambam

Horology Curious
25/7/20
I think it depends on
1. your age
2. your clothes style
3. general looks
4. (I also think one would think about a Fake from a Rolex more than other brands)

So if you are an middle aged man dressed in a suit, nobody would even think that it could be a replica. But if you are a youngster or at the beginning of your career walking in a hoodie and a golden Rolex… I mean there are Zuckerberg style people, but the chance of the youngster having the watch from his last Turkey holiday is pretty high.

waxdec

17/11/19
You'll only get called out if you're wearing something way out of your league... So my suggestion is to "stay in your lane" as the kids say nowadays.

If you're a minimum wage worker at McDonalds yet wearing a modern AP or Patek, pretty obvious it's a fake no matter how good it is or even if it's gen.

For someone to be able to see your watch well enough while knowing a lot about replicas to be able to call out flaws specific to one watch then they're closer than I'm comfortable with haha and I'd tell them to get away before this happened

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Last week I went on a Tinder date with a girl and my heart almost stopped when I heard she used to work a few years in Rolex AD in Australia. I was wearing my ZZF no-date so I was quite safe but not sure she even noticed what I was wearing she didn't say or comment anything.

Also pretty sure she had taken couple of years off her age in the profile judging by the looks.

Reactions: Bstolz and Notenuff