• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What do you guys say when someone asks where do you get your watch?

baconstrip

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/9/15
I recently bought my first rep, and I am wondering what do you guys say when someone asks the question.

I am tempted to say it was a gift from a family member however if they figure out its a rep I figured it would not be fair since that person thinks the person who gifted the watch is fake or "fraud" for a lack of better term. Making them a scapegoat in a way.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Straight out: "China - too poor for the real thing.". Most don't believe it and laugh... if you have the job, car and house to back it up, most will assume it's gen anyway.

Last edited:

mpx

I'm Pretty Popular
6/2/20
Austria
I often say from a private seller and I got it for a good price. I also often hand over the watch to them so they can check it out. Nobody ever said anything negative so far. As long as you wear it with confidence and don't look like a hobo, you should be fine. I would just avoid RM, PP Nauitlus and such extremely expensive watches, even though most won't know how much the thing on your wrist costs in gen. A Royal Oak, Daytona and so on are still somehow affordable, so you should be fine, but I would not wear reps of 50k+ watches. Sometimes you meet another watch enthusiast and then it can be tough.
Or you can also just admit what it is like YellowFin said.

PorscheRacer

2/4/18
Bicester - UK
Straight out: "China - too poor for the real thing.". Most don't believe it and laugh... if you have the job, car and house to back it up, most will assume it's gen anyway.

This.

If you are working behind the counter in McDonalds and living in a small rented apartment, then flashing what appears to be a £10,000 Rolex on your wrist is certainly going to raise some questions from people, especially friends and family.

I’ve never been asked about my watches with regards to where I got them or how much they cost.

Sometimes friends will simply comment that they notice I have a new watch, and I’ll reply by saying “Yes, I’ve just bought it” and that’s generally the end of the discussion.

Without wanting to sound like a complete dick, I live in an £900,000 house, own several nice cars, and run my own company, so as YellowFin says people never doubt or ask about my watches, it is assumed that everything I own is the real deal.

I have a mix of Gen Rolex and Rep Rolex watches, and the truth is I almost never wear the Gen. They just sit in my small safe at home.

For me, the purpose of buying Rep isn’t because I want to flash it around, it’s just because I enjoy owning numerous different watches and working on watches. I like the variety and I like to buy and sell them for fun.

I can wear a Rep watch in cities or on holiday and not worry if anything happens to it. Whereas when I’ve worn a £10k Rolex on holiday or in slightly less desirable areas on the planet, I’m always conscious that I’ll get robbed or lose it, and then have to begin some long arduous process to give a Police interview and try recover the money from my insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baconstrip

24/9/15
I often say from a private seller and I got it for a good price. I also often hand over the watch to them so they can check it out. Nobody ever said anything negative so far. As long as you wear it with confidence and don't look like a hobo, you should be fine. I would just avoid RM, PP Nauitlus and such extremely expensive watches, even though most won't know how much the thing on your wrist costs in gen. A Royal Oak, Daytona and so on are still somehow affordable, so you should be fine, but I would not wear reps of 50k+ watches. Sometimes you meet another watch enthusiast and then it can be tough.
Or you can also just admit what it is like YellowFin said.

Private seller as in you found them from eBay or Chrono24? and if they find out they were fake you would say you got scammed?

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
I wouldn't say anything. I'd just give them a scornful look. They would turn into a pillar of salt.

Last edited:

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I scream REP, and then offer them to cop a feel of my wife’s fake chest for $20, I should start v asking for the money first! Lol

It’s funny but true. Lol. I’ll send you $20 now if I can reserve a space for later. Money....well spent!

One of the first replies stated “I hand them the watch and let them see for themselves” and all I can think - this is how you can tell it’s a rep. No gen Rolex owner would hand their watch to a stranger who asked about it. And if they do, they need to start handing me watches. I have to start asking more people “where did you get your watch?”

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
I've always said private seller, and if they inquired further, I straight up say factories in China.

After the disbelief and denial that it could even possibly be a rep, I elaborate further i.e. down the rabbit hole.

100% of the time, they've become avid rep enthusiasts :cheers:

Sent from my ZF BB58 Blue V2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Pink_Panther

Horology Curious
30/4/20
United States
I was asked "where did you get your watch" for the first time a couple of weeks ago. This was after he noticed my Rolex and I told him it was my first. I said, "the internet, but I am on a message board so they were able to check it out for me" As the conversation progressed, the person who asked was big GEN collector.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
I was asked "where did you get your watch" for the first time a couple of weeks ago. This was after he noticed my Rolex and I told him it was my first. I said, "the internet, but I am on a message board so they were able to check it out for me" As the conversation progressed, the person who asked was big GEN collector.
Very slick answer :clapping:

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
I tell them that the previous owner died.

I love this. I often go into the “well... I’m an opportunist. I got a great deal on it because this watch is cursed. The last guy to wear this ended up dead. He had a gambling problem and was on an epic losing streak. It got so bad that the bookie had to kidnapp their child and hock his watch collection for 10 cents on the dollar. That’s who sold me the watch: the bookie.”

This is great because it explains the watch but it leads the conversation somewhere else.

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
I say I got it from [mention]p0pperini [/mention] and they look at me like I have two heads.

PorscheRacer

2/4/18
Bicester - UK
Let’s be honest, most ‘off the shelf’ Reps these days such as the latest GMF/Noob etc are so good that even someone who owns Gen watches can’t tell if it’s a Rep, even by having a good look.

Sure, you guys can probably tell by the odd detail here and there, but that’s because you are obsessive geeks who fuss over every detail and take macro photos of watches to compare them.

No one else does that, not even someone who really enjoys owning watches.

I would say I’m ‘quite keen on watches’ and yet I stare at my GMF V3 GMT right next to my Gen GMT under a good light, and it is really really hard to see any differences. I would assume it was real if someone told me it was, and I’m someone who has looked at Gen Rolexes for years on my own wrist.

A glance at a decent Rep on someone’s wrist will almost never reveal it as a fake.

People who buy and sell watches as a job often get fooled by Reps.

I think people with Reps walk round thinking “oh my god, everyone knows it’s fake” but I reality:

a) Everyone has real Rolex’s (or whatever) these days, so most people just assume it’s real, the same as theirs. Every time I go in a meeting, everyone seems to have a bloody Sub or GMT on their wrist!

b) If you dress well, have a decent car, decent house and decent job, this too will simply make everyone assume it’s real.

Stop worrying about it.

It’s only a watch.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I always tell them that I got from The Hour Glass AD in Sydney (my overseas trip) because that's what my ARF case says on the back side ;)

Rm4jF.jpg

Last edited: