• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Asia clone movement vs. Miyota movement: Miyota every time, right?

EfiniX

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/20
State of Jefferson, USA
I know that clone movements have become better than when I first started collecting watches a few decades ago (much better, in fact). That said, I've always known the Miyota movements to be absolute workhorses. Admittedly, my experience with contemporary asian clone movements is limited, so I was wondering what folks here might think.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

C

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Both are workhorses and can last for a while. But in the end, it’s mechanical in nature, so parts can fail. The good thing is both is very cheap to replace (either parts or full movement).

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
The Myota 8215 has that grotty jerky seconds hand. I prefer the A2824 and its variants. The 9015 movement failed on my Aquanaut and when I tried to replace it, I realised that the 9015 had been modified by machining off the rim round the top so that a larger datewheel could be accommodated. Which was rather annoying... To preserve the thickness of the watch, there is no room to attach an overlay to the top of the original.

Last edited:

EfiniX

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/20
State of Jefferson, USA
Interesting and good feedback! I've got a few gen watches with the 9015 movement and both have been excellent operationally. I suppose with a rep, you might not know what sort of modifications have been done to the movement to accommodate the case it needs to fit into.

Reactions: rj999