• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Acceptable Tolerance of +-Secs a Day After a 3135 Service?

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Just wondering what the movement experts would say an acceptable tolerance (plus/minus seconds per day) should be after paying for a full service on an SH3135 movement?

I have received my Franken submariner back from full service and it’s 45 seconds slow over 72 hours (worn on the wrist the whole time). So 15 seconds slow per day.

Thanks. Cookie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Bet this makes you feel great? My slowest runner is the most expensive rep I own! Hybrid movement, not going to mention any ref or mods that worked on it however it’s a disappointment.

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Bet this makes you feel great? My slowest runner is the most expensive rep I own! Hybrid movement, not going to mention any ref or mods that worked on it however it’s a disappointment.

I’m a little disappointed yes. Didn’t know if I would be being an ass to say something to my modder. Just thought I’d get a general feeling here first.

Even my cheapies that I’ve never had serviced keep better time.

Hmmm decisions?

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
Who did the service? Did you get timegraph pics of the watch in all its positions? Was it packaged up well and did the postie drop kick it through your letter box? It’s a rep after all so maybe it just can’t be timed up to cosc +/- 1sec per day.... how much did you pay for the work? Does the service guy know what he’s doing or did he scam you?

these are all factors, sometimes you’ve just got to accept that’s how it is and move on.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Losing 15 seconds per day is unfortunately well within the expected tolerance. It could probably be regulated and be closer to plus or minus 0 seconds, but even a genuine watch has some variation. Remember these are little mechanical devices with lots of moving parts everything from gravity to temperature can affect them. I'm assuming you don't have a timeographer at home. As said I would recommend reach out to your watchsmith and see what they have to say about the movement and how it was running before they shipped it out.

Reactions: DaleM and balance27

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Who did the service? Did you get timegraph pics of the watch in all its positions? Was it packaged up well and did the postie drop kick it through your letter box? It’s a rep after all so maybe it just can’t be timed up to cosc +/- 1sec per day.... how much did you pay for the work? Does the service guy know what he’s doing or did he scam you?

these are all factors, sometimes you’ve just got to accept that’s how it is and move on.

In answer to your questions:

I’m not bashing anybody publicly on here so not saying who did the service.

No timegraph pics

Yes it was Packaged well.

Cant be sure on the Posties preferred method of delivery.

I paid about £120 for service.

I wouldn’t say he is a scammer.

I’m Not after cosc standards. 5 secs would have been acceptable enough for me.

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
In answer to your questions:

I’m not bashing anybody publicly on here so not saying who did the service.

No timegraph pics

Yes it was Packaged well.

Cant be sure on the Posties preferred method of delivery.

I paid about £120 for service.

I wouldn’t say he is a scammer.

I’m Not after cosc standards. 5 secs would have been acceptable enough for me.

As a paying customer, I assume whoever did the work made you fully aware of his t&c’s and exactly what you were getting for your money? Maybe throw in a few during pics? Maybe a list of parts which were swapped during the service, and timergraph pics as a way of proof the service has been carried out successfully (although you’ve said you haven’t had those) much in the same way we get QC pics from the dealer.

it’s a funny old game this rep collecting, you could say a niché market, some of (definitely not all) these so called “watchsmiths” think they know what they are doing and will quite happily take your money knowing that there’s nowhere else to go, often throwing in a little propaganda story about reps being confiscated when someone pops into a high street jewellers enquiring after some work to be done.
There’s a constant stream of these guys either getting booted off the forums or one day just vanishing with a pile of members watches.

More than likely tho it just needs another tweak, just ask the guy who did it and I’m sure he’ll just ask you to send it back and everything will be fine.

best of luck :D

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Is proper regulation assumed when a watchmaker services your movement, or would you need to ask specifically for it? I had a similar experience with a sw200

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
-15 per day isn’t exactly perfect but the amplitude number is the import one. If thats shite, its a bad service. If its good but it just runs a bit slow it just needs ti be adjusted a little. Open it up and have a go, you know you want to ;)

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
As a paying customer, I assume whoever did the work made you fully aware of his t&c’s and exactly what you were getting for your money? Maybe throw in a few during pics? Maybe a list of parts which were swapped during the service, and timergraph pics as a way of proof the service has been carried out successfully (although you’ve said you haven’t had those) much in the same way we get QC pics from the dealer.

No I didn’t get any of those luxuries which would have been nice. I have seen some members sell their watches with photos of there modder servicing the watch and showing the parts etc - that would be nice.

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
-15 per day isn’t exactly perfect but the amplitude number is the import one. If thats shite, its a bad service. If its good but it just runs a bit slow it just needs ti be adjusted a little. Open it up and have a go, you know you want to ;)

I am tempted to regulate it myself but I paid for the watch to be waterproofed. If I remove the case back would it need to be “re-waterproofed” as I couldn’t do that.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
If its a rolex and you have a proper case back tool you should be fine. Just check there arent any hairs on the oring or case back when you close it. Do you have a timegrapher because you really shouldn’t try it without one.

Reactions: balance27

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
If its a rolex and you have a proper case back tool you should be fine. Just check there arent any hairs on the oring or case back when you close it. Do you have a timegrapher because you really shouldn’t try it without one.

I have a Rolex case back opener but I don’t have a timegrapher unfortunately.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Probably best to leave it then mate. It takes all of 5-10 minutes if you have the right tools but it would be trial and error without the timegrapher. You can pick them up for about £100 on aliexpress.

ive got this one but you might be able to get it cheaper if you shop about.
£116.09 | Super seconds mechanical tester No.1900 Multifunction Mechanical Watch Tester Timing Timegrapher For watch repair
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dSjSYd6

Last edited:

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
Thanks mate. I may invest in one. Or is it worth chancing a “quarter turn” with screwdriver and hoping it’s 15seconds worth? Lol. Is that a chance worth taking?

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Regulating timepiece is simple, but you need to know what you are doing or you will make it much much worse (especially if you tweaked the wrong lever). A2824 variants are the easiest to do (small screw instead of lever for fine adjustment). It helps to have steady hand and patience. I have done it using an iPhone app with microphone... It works but timegrapher is better.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Its within tolerance for a genuine Swiss ETA so I’d live with it. Pop the crown out for 15 seconds a day if it bothers you.

Xky

Known Member
13/9/19
My watch when I first bought it was losing 17 seconds a day, I actually started a very similar thread about. Long story short, when I leave my watch in the crown down position overnight it doesn’t lose anytime at all. Leaving a automatic watch in different positions overnight will lose or gain different amounts of time.

194287123e60ec73d4de9e39d51b1c78.jpg

To be honest it doesn’t bother me at all any more, I don’t even bother to set time when I wear it, Because I only wear it every now and again, and to avoid pulling the the crown in and out adjusting the time too many times, trying to minimise any damage to the movement. I'd rather have a watch that works that tells the wrong time than a watch that doesn’t work at all if that makes any sense, because of messing around with the crown too much. A watch winder would solve the problem I suppose.

Give it a go it worked go it worked for me.

Here’s the link to my thread there’s some really useful information. I started it when I knew nothing about replica watches, and what I did learn in a very short amount of time is in this thread.

https://www.repgeek.com/rolex/313616...ht=3135+losing

One guy started complaining about me replying in my own thread at one point, no one was forcing him to read it, some people!

If the link dont work the thread is called, 3135 losing 17 seconds in 24 hours, on Repgeek.

Last edited:

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
For kicks, during a rep diet I was on during lockdown I got the Timegrapher app for my iPhone. It works pretty well for a hobbyist stand point once you get the hang of it.