• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How many years do you think a really well made replica watch will last?

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20
How many years do you think a really good current model replica watch will last? I know there's no way of telling but what would you say? 3-5 years? Longer?

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
150. It will need a couple of replacement movements, but yeah, 150. Probably more l

Reactions: Glaude

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
How many years do you think a really good current model replica watch will last? I know there's no way of telling but what would you say? 3-5 years? Longer?

I've had them DOA and I have one that runs after 25+ years and has never been serviced.

Reactions: DaleM

oldtools

14/6/11
My TC sub has been my daily wear for 8 1/2 years. Still looks good and keeping great time. The sub is from back in the day w hen TC used gen ETA movements. I"ll get it serviced someday.

imajedi

15/8/13
My TC still going strong. Lost track of for how long. That’s how long it’s been.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
I have several older reps with actual ETAs that are running just fine after a decade plus of wear. Some services, some not.
I have a couple A7750s that were serviced while newish and they’re still running fine after a decade.

most of my ‘unknown’ or rep-of a seagull movements seem to have dropped off after five or so years.
cheap and easy enough to drop new movements in when they die.

there is no reason an ETA or decent clone can’t run for decades if given proper care.

Reactions: Screwtape

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Decades are possible. The most common failure point is the movement. I have a number of reps that are around a decade old. They either came with ETA movements or have had one swapped in. My oldest rep with an Asian clone that hasn't been serviced or touched in any way is going on 4 years ownership and it was used when I bought it. I'd suggest avoiding the superclone movements if repairability and longevity is a focus of yours. (This factors into my purchasing)

OiRogers

Renowned Member
24/8/06
Entirely agree... if I’m looking for potential longevity, a clone of an ETA, or actual ETA, is where I aim. 3 handlers over any complications beyond date.

i see some 9xxx series Mioytas in some reps now, that’s a solid choice too.

edit: damn autocorrect

Last edited:

studio1one

28/10/10
I got a pbdad built vintage seadweller that I bought m2m almost 10 years ago that never misses a beat. It has an ETA inside

d.n.d.

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/3/19
Great insight, so as much as 10 years with ideally a servicing for the ETA movements. I do not think I have owned any of my automatic watches for that long yet. Although I do have an ETA movement coming up on 8 years that looks like it may need a servicing soon, its not really keeping time anymore.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Start with the fundamentals. Serviced movement with a good quality (maybe gen) dial and hands. Go with Prof or gen crystal as well. The Mid-case and bracelet takes the most "hit" but that can be swapped periodically with the "best" one available. With this strategy, I think you will get a lot of wrist time.