• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it just me, or are rep prices getting out of control?

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
I don't have any data or numbers here,
but when I look at the TD websites,
it seems like prices have been going higher and higher
For seemingly no reason
Even high prices on watches with lots of flaws and tells
Is anybody else noticing this, or is it just me?

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
They are. But quality is also getting better. You are getting a bunch of full replica movements and these are more expensive than a generic movement hacked. Plus, we dont seem to be hearing as many complaints about pubic hair, bird droppings, dead bugs etc etc inside the watch cases.

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
They are. But quality is also getting better. You are getting a bunch of full replica movements and these are more expensive than a generic movement hacked. Plus, we dont seem to be hearing as many complaints about pubic hair, bird droppings, dead bugs etc etc inside the watch cases.

I don't remember ever reading any complaints about pubic hair, bird droppings, dead bugs, or anything else like that inside watch cases, ever

Also, sure, noob factory copied the daytona movement or something, and I understand a higher price for that.

But everything else still seems to be generic asian movements with deco plates

Last edited:

prb

Known Member
30/6/09
Man... I remember when reps were $250 average and people were constantly complaining that "I wish watches were like $50 more expensive if they just fixed A, B and C." Then they started fixing A, B, and C, prices went up to $300 average, and people were still like "I wish they were $50 more expensive if they just fixed D, E and F." Now, it feels like you can barely find a rep under $400, and I'm pining for the days when you could buy an flawed but good enough a7750 IWC 3717 chrono for $290 or a Ploprof v2 for $275...

Last edited:

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I don't remember ever reading any complaints about pubic hair, bird droppings, dead bugs, or anything else like that inside watch cases, ever

Also, sure, noob factory copied the daytona movement or something, and I understand a higher price for that.

I definitely remember having read comments on the dirt inside the watch cases.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thorne

16600 FTW
8/3/10
Sling City
Agreed as mentioned above, for the higher end reps, you (mostly) get what you pay for: better movements, better cases, possibility to franken etc.

For example one of the new Daytona’s with SA4130 for approx 700$. That would have been a dream around 6 years ago when we were buying Daytonas for 400$+ with A7750 movements, now for 300$ more you have something that looks very close to gen OOTB, and works that way too.

During the AP boom around 8 years ago we were spending 600$+ on APs with A7750 movements with seconds at 12.

The new subs with a VR3135 movement, much better made now, we paid around 400$ or so with worse SH3135s around 4 years ago.

I think you now get more bang for your buck.

NaViSlick

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/5/20
I mean if you bring it out of context, you're still getting a great deal on these watches when you consider how close they are to the gens for 5-10% of the price. As factories improve quality, they're bound to drive up price because they know that people will be willing to eat the cost if it means something that's closer to gen. There will continue to be a market for high-end reps regardless of whether they choose to increase prices every time they release a new version.

TheDarkWright

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/4/20
England
Agreed with the last two posts. It's a customer-driven, supply and demand market after all. Enough people are willing to pay it, and asking for better quality to come with that, which most factories are delivering.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I think there's a bit of both : reps are getting better, more variety and more models getting released often AND there's a natural inflation because there's more & more people interested in them and they are, of course, newbie with no clue on what to expect price wise, factories takes advantage of that.

There's still some cheaper rep being produced too

Hiram325

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/7/19
I don't have the long term knowledge of these reps which many here obviously do, but I've been looking closely at specifically Rolex "tool watch" reps for a few years now. I was in read only mode until last summer when I joined this and another rep forum. I bought a very nice slightly modded ARF V2 116610 here on RWI, M2M and I'm right on the verge of pulling the trigger on another nice ARF rep. Just over the time I've been paying attention it seems that both quality and prices have risen. Still, for what one gets I think the $$ is well spent.

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I think rep makers are making more money than ever, but as long as I can sell here for no more than a minimal loss I will keep buying them.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK

Haha.

You must’ve missed the Patek and omega clones, working moon phase and world timer JLC.

Also, it’s not just about the movements.
Rep dials and bezels are becoming scary close. For example new CF factory hulk parts (ZZF). The fit and finish on most high end reps is new unbelievable. Look at the finish on Royal Oak reps. It’s very close to £20k gen. Rolex sub hands are now nicely curved and 3D like gen. AR coating on most reps is stunning. Ceramic bezel insert numerals are now deep, crisp and 3D like gen.

All these subtle improvements (which only us watch enthusiasts can appreciate) require research and development or tooling etc and are understandably driving prices higher.

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: Tompa and gilrob

QWERTY7888889

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
8/6/15
Italy
In my honest opinion the reps are going crazy accurate....there is no more cheapi reps...always better and better....and it s a running with the gen for the overprices :)

That s my 2 cent

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
I dont see conversations on gen forum that gen makers are overcharging.. So to me this conversation is hilarious if we think the rep factories are overcharging for something which is 20 times less than something else it looks identical to.

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
The same way people would think some gens' prices are out of control because of not understanding the horological significance of the timepieces.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
I dont see conversations on gen forum that gen makers are overcharging.. So to me this conversation is hilarious if we think the rep factories are overcharging for something which is 20 times less than something else it looks identical to.

On Gen forums, how much you overpaid for a Rolex at a grey dealer is usually seen as some kind of badge of honour. Lots of twisted attitudes over there.

On topic, if a Noob V7 - the best you could get in 2016 was worth $280, then a ZZF v2 is worth $500. Its easily twice as good.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
The same way people would think some gens' prices are out of control because of not understanding the horological significance of the timepieces.

grey market prices for Rolex have little to do with horological significance and everything to do with a rich mans pissing contest.

Reactions: RepPossessed