• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The replica paradox

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/2/19
After getting an IWC chronograph from TD Chazing Time, the watch broke down after a few days. TD told that the chronograph buttons was not for use, than the watch would break down. I did´t know that. Now I know, others have confirmed. I was also told by TD that people get their rep watch serviced and oiled before use. Others have confirmed that too. I got hold of a watchsmith with 40 years experience. He could do the service for 300 dollars. That means we choose between a rep (fake) 300-400 dollars chinese watch + 300 dollar service and still got a watch (crappy)with chronbuttons for decoration only, or we can buy a brand new Citizen og Tissot, Swiss watches, with chronobuttons to use as much as I like, for 600 dollars. Fake crap chinese 700 dollars. Original swiss 600 dollars.
Wich leads to the question: Do people here wear their reps or are they for looking at only?

I will highlight some slightly noticeable differences:

- Most of us did some research prior to our purchase ergo we didn’t experience situations as the one you related. This forum is a huge source of knowledge to avoid them.

- Not all the replicas requires service prior to its use, as well as none all of the gens (ie - NOS models from 10 years ago)

- The watchmakers offering their services around here, doesn’t charge 300$ for a service of a clone movement AFAIK. I was paying up to 800€ for a service at RSC but 300 in a local bussines- despite of its experience I will give it a second thought.

- Collecting reps is a different hobby from collecting gens, in a lot of aspects you cannot compare them.

- Last but not least, never seen a proper Swiss Made automatic watch for 400$

Reactions: Carbonara

Beware of the Dog

Horology Curious
16/5/20
I have gotten a credit for a shitty watch because TD was embarrassed the product broke within days. Though the crappy assembly was not his fault he understood as a repeat customer he could keep me and keep me coming back with a remedy.

for a newbutt you seem to have a ton of experience with the TDs and you angry like a mean girl at school, always frowin and shit.

You are correct, I do have a ton of experience.

I am new here in name only and it looks as if I have been around far longer than you.

The OP, like myself a newbutt, as you wrongly assume, started this thread because he felt ripped off and what he was looking for was some help.

What he did get, as seems to be the norm here when a new guy has an issue with a dealer, is a bunch of button pushers armed with nothing more than a self proclaimed sense of elevated superiority telling him it's his own fault for buying the wrong type of watch.

I know all the pit-falls associated with buying stuff from a different country and the song will remain the same. If I receive something that doesn't meet my expectations, I ALLWAYS get my money back.

No exceptions.

Reactions: Loverboy

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
You are correct, I do have a ton of experience.

I am new here in name only and it looks as if I have been around far longer than you.

The OP, like myself a newbutt, as you wrongly assume, started this thread because he felt ripped off and what he was looking for was some help.

What he did get, as seems to be the norm here when a new guy has an issue with a dealer, is a bunch of button pushers armed with nothing more than a self proclaimed sense of elevated superiority telling him it's his own fault for buying the wrong type of watch.

I know all the pit-falls associated with buying stuff from a different country and the song will remain the same. If I receive something that doesn't meet my expectations, I ALLWAYS get my money back.

No exceptions.
What was you old one? But that was my point to begin woth. Are you previously banned? With your crappy attitude I would not be astonished.

Lol, you assume I am new too? Bless your heart Mrs Pot, here meet Mr Kettle.

Hiram325

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/7/19
I read this and another rep forum for quite awhile before joining last summer, I decided to look for reps with the A2824 specifically for the purpose of future upgrade to an ETA 2824 probably without being able to precisely articulate why at the time. I'm probably going to upgrade to the ETA 2824 later this year.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
" discuss it with the TD and they'll probably give you a discount on your next purchase "

You really didn't think this through before you started typing the words, did you ?

Who in their right mind after being sold a crap watch would go back to the same dealer and buy another ?
Why not? That exact watch would have broken down regardless of which TD sold it. So how is changing TDs going to make sure a cheap copy of a 10k-50k USD watch will be a product with the same longevity? Just wondering if there's a rationale to your strategy or if you know more than the rest of us.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I have been buying reps from TD's for the past four years. Some lasted (still ticking), but many did not. I don't fault the TD. I knew going in that most of these reps won't last more than a year, in fact, some lasted only a month... Part of the rep game.

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Who uses the chrono feature anyway? I can’t remember the last time I even want to try the chronograph feature on a watch.

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
Isn’t that going to be difficult? So many of the watches offered by the TD’s are installed with the SA3135? What do you do if the watch you want is only supplied with SA3135? buy the watch and swap the movement out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was said the sa3135 was improved for the noob v10 and though i wouldnt know if this is true the one I have winds smooth, date changes dead on 12 and keeps excellent time.

Beware of the Dog

Horology Curious
16/5/20
Why not? That exact watch would have broken down regardless of which TD sold it. So how is changing TDs going to make sure a cheap copy of a 10k-50k USD watch will be a product with the same longevity? Just wondering if there's a rationale to your strategy or if you know more than the rest of us.

Fanx for the question :

This one is quite straight forward.......... If everyone that had a problem with this watch sent it back for a refund, as I advised the OP to do. The dealers would soon recognise that there is a problem and either fix it or stop selling this particular watch.

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Fanx for the question :

This one is quite straight forward.......... If everyone that had a problem with this watch sent it back for a refund, as I advised the OP to do. The dealers would soon recognise that there is a problem and either fix it or stop selling this particular watch.

Haha... and then what? Will they start selling gens instead? :spit:

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Fucking hell, this guy is next level stupid. In fact, he's probably just a troll so I'm out.

See ya dickhead. :finger:

Beware of the Dog

Horology Curious
16/5/20
What was you old one? But that was my point to begin woth. Are you previously banned? With your crappy attitude I would not be astonished.

Lol, you assume I am new too? Bless your heart Mrs Pot, here meet Mr Kettle.

Let me provide some clarification to those of you that have doubts with regard to my integrity ;

My expertease in the field of importation is not born from fake watches. Before 17th May 2020 I have never had correspondence with this or any other watch selling / buying platform.

So far, no-one has pointed out any part of what I write on this topic to be un-true. This is because everything I have writen is factual. It just seems that some of you don't like the truth.

Apart from me advising the OP to return a duff watch he bought and complementing Mr Poperini on his whit, anything else posted has been in direct reply to those that have quoted my words with negativity.

If you don't like what I write, Don't read it. Just move on.

If you do decide to read it and still don;t like it, That's your problem. Just move on.

Don't waste time provoking another response from me that you are also not going to like.

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Let me provide some clarification to those of you that have doubts with regard to my integrity ;

My expertease in the field of importation is not born from fake watches. Before 17th May 2020 I have never had correspondence with this or any other watch selling / buying platform.

So far, no-one has pointed out any part of what I write on this topic to be un-true. This is because everything I have writen is factual. It just seems that some of you don't like the truth.

Apart from me advising the OP to return a duff watch he bought and complementing Mr Poperini on his whit, anything else posted has been in direct reply to those that have quoted my words with negativity.

If you do decide to read it and still don;t like it, That's your problem. Just move on.

Don't waste time provoking another response from me that you are also not going to like.

Your claim must be supported by evidence. Until then you are a little trollio. See how much power you have here? Even though your posts stink I am just hunting the truth. You seem to be hiding from the truth, why?

So, what was your previous username or were you so active you forgot your login? My guess is you were either too dumb to recall or a liar and I am leaning towards you being both.

Beware of the Dog

Horology Curious
16/5/20
Your claim must be supported by evidence. Until then you are a little trollio. See how much power you have here? Even though your posts stink I am just hunting the truth. You seem to be hiding from the truth, why?

So, what was your previous username or were you so active you forgot your login? My guess is you were either too dumb to recall or a liar and I am leaning towards you being both.

Seems to me that the troll here is you.

If you had bothered to read my original post 4 days before you were even part of the thread, You would know that this post was simply offering the OP some advice regarding his watch.
This was totaly on topic. No mallis, No trolling involved.

Further posts were simply defending myself against you and others that stepped in only because they think that for some unfathomable reason they know better .

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
24/2/19

Based on your post which lead to all this lately- You stated that the UK law protects the buyer of return a purchased good thru internet ( This applies to all EU countries- Protection of the buyer or something similar is called)

I’m not a lawyer (way far from that) but I’m reluctant to think that maybe that doesn’t apply to counterfeit goods imported from China as the ones we are talking about.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
When my crack cocaine isn’t strong enough I always take it back and I ALWAYS get my money back.

Here in the U.S. at least, If you buy something new or otherwise from a dealer, as opposed to a private vendor, and it turns out to be " not fit for purpose " you are afforded exactly the same rights as if buying from a shop. We even have a deceptive trade practices act that allows for the recovery of attorney fees and treble damages if the deceit is intentional. The seller would be bound by law to ; A. give you better crack B. replace the crack or C. refund the payment.

Just send the watch back.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I think the only way to decide if one likes your posts or not, would be to read them - but then it's too late to move on.

A Catch 22 situation.

I guess you can start reading it then stop immediately if you don’t like what you have read so far, but by then you have probably already been overcome by the stupidity of the post. It’s a tough call.

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
My god, how could I have been so stupid? Thanks for helping me see what a fool I've been. I promise I'll have a really good think before I type any more words.
Mmmm good to know we are letting in such knowledgeable rep savants p0pperini - you should really consider your collecting habits, you have had it wrong all these years.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
I read this and another rep forum for quite awhile before joining last summer, I decided to look for reps with the A2824 specifically for the purpose of future upgrade to an ETA 2824 probably without being able to precisely articulate why at the time. I'm probably going to upgrade to the ETA 2824 later this year.
Good strategy - I have done a swop recently on an AP, was worried about the hands not seating well but they popped on, no problem. The oscillating weight even went on with 0 modification. Lucky, for sure, but totally ecstatic.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited: