• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The replica paradox

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Just send the watch back.
I’m glad my previous post made you chuckle. But unfortunately, the “send it back” approach is one that is almost always advised against, when it comes to rep watches from China. It’s highly likely to end in more disappointment and frustration as the returned watch disappears into the Chinese postal system, sometimes never to emerge again; and if it makes it back, you’ll have months waiting while nothing happens, and then get it back and it’s still broken. It’s just a fact that after sales care isn’t really a thing in this illegal rep business.

If a watch develops a problem it’s far better to just send it to one of the watchsmiths who service them for the members here, swallow the cost and chalk it up to experience. If it happens soon after you got the watch, discuss it with the TD and they‘ll probably give you a discount on your next purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
unfortunately, the “send it back” approach is one that is almost always advised against, when it comes to rep watches from China. It’s highly likely to end in more disappointment and frustration as the returned watch disappears into the Chinese postal system, sometimes never to emerge again; and if it makes it back, you’ll have months waiting while nothing happens, and then get it back and it’s still broken.

How many watches have you returned? I've returned three and they're all still ticking away in my collection today. Admittedly I've repaired more watches locally, but depending on the watch/fault, I wouldn't outright rule out a return.

Reactions: r0b9502

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
How many watches have you returned? I've returned three and they're all still ticking away in my collection today. Admittedly I've repaired more watches locally, but depending on the watch/fault, I wouldn't outright rule out a return.
I haven’t sent any back - because the advice I read most consistently is, “don’t”! And when I have had a problem, I got offered the choice to send it back or get a discount on the next watch. So, given that I’ve often read the advice, “don’t send it back!”, I chose the latter. But it’s great to hear that it can be a successful option, and this news has gone some way towards restoring my faith in humanity.

(I still wouldn’t risk it.)

Reactions: GingerBubba

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I have not looked at every trusted dealers catalogues, but most of the watches I´ve seen are 3-4-500 dollars. And in the add they write thing like: "movement plate and rotor which are made according to the genuine movement, the best looking AP Calibre 3126 Movement Clone at the moment." or "New Slim Asian Chronograph movement running seconds at 6 position, 1:1 same thickness as genuine movement (IWC Calibre 79350). Much more reliable than the previous A7750 modified movement. But still they break down fast. The TDs description of the watch is as it is good quality. Shouldn´t we trust the trusted dealer, trust that the quality is good when said so in the add? Isn´t that why they are trusted? Not everybody have the time to study and read like they are running for a bachelors degree in watches, but just want to find a dealer to trust, to buy a watch or two that they like, without the somewhat high risk of watch-collapse after a short while.

Trusted dealer does not = 100% perfect rep with all working parts and warranty.

Trusted dealer = they won’t rip you off. There are many sites out there that say Shit like AAA+ Swiss made replicas $1000 or whatever. You pay that and end up getting a DHgate special that costs $50. Trusted dealers will also help you out if/when it gets seized by customs. Most of them will do another shipment. Non trusted ones will not give a single F if it gets seized.

Trusted dealers also come on the forums and gives us updates on what is coming in the future. What all they are working on. Hell, some reps made it to market before gens!

Trusted dealers do not always mean the watch will work exactly like the gen version. They will break. You will sometimes end up with a dead watch. You can also end up with a watch that runs perfectly for years.

You can go but your quartz tissots or whatever. For me and a lot of us... we just like working on them. Modding then. Fixing them if broken. Breaking more stuff while trying to fix them and then fixing the new broken stuff.

For me, this isn’t a status thing. I could care less what people think about the watch I’m wearing or what all I have. I wear my watches because I either really like them or have worked on them in some way that gives me a bigger attachment to them aside from having a brand name watch that is considered luxury.

I’m not poor but I’m far from what I would consider being rich. I don’t drive a Honda Civic or a Kia whatever but I’d be more than happy to do while wearing what would be a $200k watch.

Trusted dealers are just that. You will get what you pay for. If you do end up with a dead watch, they will give you the option to send it back to get fixed or replaced but it’s rarely worth it when a watch repair on the forums would fix it fairly cheap and you won’t have to wait a year to get the watch back.

I would also recommend staying away from any 7750 movements. The only chrono reps I have ever owned have been the manual wind ST-19 ones. Those always have run without any issues for me. It sucks that you have to hand wind them but I kinda like that. You have to interact with the watch to get it running. It turns in a bit of a ritual imo.

Just stay away from A7750s and any SA3135 clones and you’re fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xky

Known Member
13/9/19
Trusted dealer does not = 100% perfect rep with all working parts and warranty.

Trusted dealer = they won’t rip you off. There are many sites out there that say Shit like AAA+ Swiss made replicas $1000 or whatever. You pay that and end up getting a DHgate special that costs $50. Trusted dealers will also help you out if/when it gets seized by customs. Most of them will do another shipment. Non trusted ones will not give a single F if it gets seized.

Trusted dealers also come on the forums and gives us updates on what is coming in the future. What all they are working on. Hell, some reps made it to market before gens!

Trusted dealers do not always mean the watch will work exactly like the gen version. They will break. You will sometimes end up with a dead watch. You can also end up with a watch that runs perfectly for years.

You can go but your quartz tissots or whatever. For me and a lot of us... we just like working on them. Modding then. Fixing them if broken. Breaking more stuff while trying to fix them and then fixing the new broken stuff.

For me, this isn’t a status thing. I could care less what people think about the watch I’m wearing or what all I have. I wear my watches because I either really like them or have worked on them in some way that gives me a bigger attachment to them aside from having a brand name watch that is considered luxury.

I’m not poor but I’m far from what I would consider being rich. I don’t drive a Honda Civic or a Kia whatever but I’d be more than happy to do while wearing what would be a $200k watch.

Trusted dealers are just that. You will get what you pay for. If you do end up with a dead watch, they will give you the option to send it back to get fixed or replaced but it’s rarely worth it when a watch repair on the forums would fix it fairly cheap and you won’t have to wait a year to get the watch back.

I would also recommend staying away from any 7750 movements. The only chrono reps I have ever owned have been the manual wind ST-19 ones. Those always have run without any issues for me. It sucks that you have to hand wind them but I kinda like that. You have to interact with the watch to get it running. It turns in a bit of a ritual imo.

Just stay away from A7750s and any SA3135 clones and you’re fine.

Isn’t that going to be difficult? So many of the watches offered by the TD’s are installed with the SA3135? What do you do if the watch you want is only supplied with SA3135? buy the watch and swap the movement out?

Luc.font

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/5/16
EU
There are advises to be given to prevent this kind of bad experience. First, according to me, is avoiding some kind of movement which are well known for bad reliability, and always think about the cost of a replacement. I only buy watches which accept 2824 or 2836 because i know i can either buy a asia for 40 USD, or a geniune one for 140 USD if the watch is really well made and i want to keep it and long lasting.
When you make your cost plan before buying, you are awarned of the risk and you accept it way better.

Reactions: fuzzmex

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
Interesting stuff here...
well, I did get an a7750 and at least so far within the first week, it has done really well. Especially with keeping time!
i do have a lot of questions about the a7750 though... about what to do and not to do....

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Interesting stuff here...
well, I did get an a7750 and at least so far within the first week, it has done really well. Especially with keeping time!
i do have a lot of questions about the a7750 though... about what to do and not to do....

Don't touch the reset button while the chrono is running. Apart from that the 7750 is a reliable workhorse. Swap to gen on first breakdown and you'll be fine...

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
Problem with the 7750 is they add crazy shitty gears to move the different chronograph hands to unnatural positions for the 7750. I'd only buy a chronograph if it was originally a 7750 in genuine because then there's no moving around the timing hands. Or get the Noob 4130 which has been very strong. Avoid unnatural GMT's which swap the hand order.

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
7750's are good as long as you remember to only move your wrist in a counterclockwise direction while wearing your watch. If you should forget and move your wrist clockwise you may cause the autowind to start unwinding thus causing the mainspring to eject the reverse wheels and slam into the keyless turning the stem and crown into a dangerous projectile firing into your retina at 28,800 bpm. This is where the saying: 'You'll shoot your eye out Noob' originated. Stay safe

Last edited:
Reactions: rj999 and Hesekiel

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
chubbychaser911 i am not knowledgeable enough yet to follow that. I don’t know the jargon about movements really.. someday though!

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
YellowFin what do you mean swap to gen? Forgive my ignorance here.. what movement can I put into this watch? It’s a JF vnavitimer!

chubbychaser911

31/10/19
It’s possible to get watches that are replicas which can last a long time. But there are some watches which are considered time bombs. The main ones are anything with a 7750 chronograph and what are know. As correct hand stack GMT eta clones. The SA 3135 and to lesser extent SH 3135 are also unreliable Rolex replica movements. But they’re easy enough to buy a second movement and have it installed when and if it dies in a year. Much cheaper than servicing a genuine Rolex every five years according to manufacturers schedule.

Reactions: rj999 and gilrob

Slanglican

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
4/5/20
Okay..
So I DO have a rep that o can stick an eta in when it breaks down!
that’s good to know! I wonder how much those run.. [rhetorical]

hey I appreciate all the good info.

Beware of the Dog

Horology Curious
16/5/20
I’m glad my previous post made you chuckle. But unfortunately, the “send it back” approach is one that is almost always advised against, when it comes to rep watches from China. It’s highly likely to end in more disappointment and frustration as the returned watch disappears into the Chinese postal system, sometimes never to emerge again; and if it makes it back, you’ll have months waiting while nothing happens, and then get it back and it’s still broken. It’s just a fact that after sales care isn’t really a thing in this illegal rep business.

If a watch develops a problem it’s far better to just send it to one of the watchsmiths who service them for the members here, swallow the cost and chalk it up to experience. If it happens soon after you got the watch, discuss it with the TD and they‘ll probably give you a discount on your next purchase.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

" discuss it with the TD and they'll probably give you a discount on your next purchase "

You really didn't think this through before you started typing the words, did you ?

Who in their right mind after being sold a crap watch would go back to the same dealer and buy another ?

Apparently... You.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
" discuss it with the TD and they'll probably give you a discount on your next purchase "

You really didn't think this through before you started typing the words, did you ?

Who in their right mind after being sold a crap watch would go back to the same dealer and buy another ?

Apparently... You.

Jesus wept :picard2:

Reactions: p0pperini

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida

Apparently... You.
I have gotten a credit for a shitty watch because TD was embarrassed the product broke within days. Though the crappy assembly was not his fault he understood as a repeat customer he could keep me and keep me coming back with a remedy.

for a newbutt you seem to have a ton of experience with the TDs and you angry like a mean girl at school, always frowin and shit.

Last edited:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Apparently... You.
My god, how could I have been so stupid? Thanks for helping me see what a fool I've been. I promise I'll have a really good think before I type any more words.