• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The replica paradox

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
Why not? That exact watch would have broken down regardless of which TD sold it. So how is changing TDs going to make sure a cheap copy of a 10k-50k USD watch will be a product with the same longevity? Just wondering if there's a rationale to your strategy or if you know more than the rest of us.
He clearly does. Told DaleM and p0pperini so already. Can we offer a sticky for all the greatness we have been missing out on, I wonder?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
I think the only way to decide if one likes your posts or not, would be to read them - but then it's too late.

A Catch 22 situation.
:ROFL:

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I guess you can start reading it then stop immediately if you don’t like what you have read so far, but by then you have probably already been overcome by the stupidity of the post. It’s a tough call.

I'm not sure I feel comfortable judging someone based on just one post - or even half of one post.

If for example I read just one of his posts and it's pure crap, I would obviously decide stop reading definitively all his posts - but if the quality of his posts were to pick up at a later date I could miss out on that, which would be a shame.

But the inverse could also be true. I decide I like his posts so I read them, then at a later date the quality drops dramatically and I find out I've been wasting my time.

Reactions: Tucker

Hiram325

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/7/19
Good strategy - I have done a swop recently on an AP, was worried about the hands not seating well but they popped on, no problem. The oscillating weight even went on with 0 modification. Lucky, for sure, but totally ecstatic.

My intention is to look for a reputable seller on ebay for a Swiss ETA 2824-2. Any other suggested source from the collective experience on RWI?

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Seems to me that the troll here is you.

If you had bothered to read my original post 4 days before you were even part of the thread, You would know that this post was simply offering the OP some advice regarding his watch.
This was totaly on topic. No mallis, No trolling involved.

Further posts were simply defending myself against you and others that stepped in only because they think that for some unfathomable reason they know better .

So you lied. You do not have an older username and were bloviating. Emphasis on blow. Don't be scared and back up your claim, be a man...man.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
For what it is worth, I am firmly in the camp "if it aint working when you receive it, SEND it back". You could extend the period for a week or two. Of course, the TD matters, and how you pick your TD depends on many factors, and that will be a lengthy description. I will just summarize by saying my TDs are jtime and intime, and I WILL send a faulty watch back, and I wont buy from a TD who I think will not do a good job with this procedure.

Now, I have followed up on one instance. Sent it back to Ryan and got redress. Unfortunately for me, some 3-4 other instances were purely my fault so I couldnt send back. 2 I sent to forum smiths, 1 got replacement movement, 1 I dont know yet what to do. It is a full custom movement, unlikely a forum smith can fix. Perhaps just order replacement movement from TD.

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
I'm not sure I feel comfortable judging someone based on just one post - or even half of one post.

If for example I read just one of his posts and it's pure crap, I would obviously decide stop reading definitively all his posts - but if the quality of his posts were to pick up at a later date I could miss out on that, which would be a shame.

But the inverse could also be true. I decide I like his posts so I read them, then at a later date the quality drops dramatically and I find out I've been wasting my time.
Yes, NOW we are dealing with a true paradox!

Last edited:

Beware of the Dog

Horology Curious
16/5/20
Guys. Who would have thought that I could become so popular in such a short space of time.

I'm pulling out of this thread now to concentrate on my less serious topics.

Like the next bit... (You have to imagine this in the style of, a prime ministers adviser giving a resignation speech, (this should be happening any time now.)

It is with much regret... ( long pause )

And heart felt sadness... "

That I must announce... "

To all of you today... "

That may have been... "

Angered by my actions... "

I will no longer be... "

Answering questions... "

That are not... "

Worthy of my greatness *... "

* suus ' iocus.

Dont be sad guys, we can still be friends on other threads.

Reactions: Loverboy

michel7752

18/4/14
Switzerland
How many watches have you returned? I've returned three and they're all still ticking away in my collection today. Admittedly I've repaired more watches locally, but depending on the watch/fault, I wouldn't outright rule out a return.

Same here. I have sent back to China 3 watches for a fix without any problem. The whole process takes about 2 - 3 month.

Loverboy

Horology Curious
26/11/17
Oslo, Norway
I just got an email from TD, watch is received in China. So I will probably have a working warch sent back in some months.

There have been som interesting views on this thread about these watches sold by TDs. To sum up: You can get a nice watch working for years or you can get a crappy watch working for weeks or months. You have to be a really watch-nerd before buying from TDs, and check everyting about everything before you buy, or else you can get almost anything crap.

I am now wearing a Omega Seamaster brown leather strap, bought in Thiland two years ago, 90 dollar. Automatic, not quartz. It works perfect, loooks perfect, scratch free glass. I did compare it with a friends same watch bought from TD, 3 x the price. His is not better looking than mine, looks exact the same.

Before this thread I thought TDs-sold-watches ment quality, that there are factories in China that can make perfect copies for 3-400 dollars, but as someone point out, "it is cheap copies of 50-100K watches, what can you expect?".

TDs have nice catalogues, impressive selection, but sell their watches 3 x higher than others. Yes, you can a 20 dollar copy probably garanteed crap, maybe a 50-60 dollars good replica in quarts, but when you pay 100 dollars i Thailand you most probably end up with the same watch TDs want 3 x the price for.

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
I just got an email from TD, watch is received in China. So I will probably have a working warch sent back in some months.

There have been som interesting views on this thread about these watches sold by TDs. To sum up: You can get a nice watch working for years or you can get a crappy watch working for weeks or months. You have to be a really watch-nerd before buying from TDs, and check everyting about everything before you buy, or else you can get almost anything crap.

I am now wearing a Omega Seamaster brown leather strap, bought in Thiland two years ago, 90 dollar. Automatic, not quartz. It works perfect, loooks perfect, scratch free glass. I did compare it with a friends same watch bought from TD, 3 x the price. His is not better looking than mine, looks exact the same.

Before this thread I thought TDs-sold-watches ment quality, that there are factories in China that can make perfect copies for 3-400 dollars, but as someone point out, "it is cheap copies of 50-100K watches, what can you expect?".

TDs have nice catalogues, impressive selection, but sell their watches 3 x higher than others. Yes, you can a 20 dollar copy probably garanteed crap, maybe a 50-60 dollars good replica in quarts, but when you pay 100 dollars i Thailand you most probably end up with the same watch TDs want 3 x the price for.

I suspect it depends on the watch. This one, for example, is very unlikely to be found elsewhere:
https://puretimewatch.io/milgauss-po...-bracelet.html

Last edited:

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11

You are correct in that although the quality of reps has gotten much better over the last few years, it is still hit or miss. There are just a whole lot more hits and fewer misses with the reps sold today. You are incorrect in that the $100 Thailand watch is not the same watch TDs sell for 3x as much. To prove my point you can post a picture of your Omega Seamaster. I’m sure it’s a very inexpensive version with a 2813 movement.

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19

Mmmm. I think your assessment is way too broad. There are way more people complaining about the odd bad watch, versus the thousands of happy forum members that simply don't mention their satisfaction, which skew the picture. And I wouldn't build a case around one watch. There are fundamental differences in the Rolex or Panerai reps a good TD can source from the best makers, versus the bulk copies finding their way to dollar stores. Fact: TD's stand by their goods, and source the best. Yes, it is true some shitty examples slip through the cracks, but that is true for many products, replica or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: GingerBubba

d.n.d.

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/3/19
Some really great advice in this thread, especially the first page! Every beginner to this hobby should read the first page to get a decent idea of what they are getting themselves into.

I do not have much to add, I also like the idea of swapping the movement for a genuine swiss ETA or going higher up the price bracket for a super.

J23dog

Horology Curious
10/1/13
United States
You're right, they're far too fragile to use. I never wear any of mine, let alone wind them. Why would anyone wind a Chinese watch? In fact, to be extra cautious, I don't even look at them.

That's....that's one of the funniest posts I've ever read.......:):):)

Don't even think about them...:pcsam::smildzor:

Reactions: p0pperini