• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

THE DC COLLECTION: Update & Going Gen

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
D13177-CC-96-F9-4505-BEC9-72-AB2442-D86-C.jpg

Here in the UK we recently celebrated Victory in Europe day, marking the end of the conflict in Europe 75 years ago. The watch that arrived in the post the day after VE Day was born only a few short years after the end of that conflict, around 1948, and unlike every other watch I’ve owned which started life somewhere in China, this watch was born in Europe, in the motherland of watchmaking, Switzerland.

Ok, so this isn’t so much a collection update as it is a “going gen” story, but I didn’t want it to get lost in the gen section, nor did I want to go and talk about it on some gen forum when this is still my spiritual home on the web. So to keep it in the GD area I will give a quick overview of the changes taking place in the collection.

Firstly those perusing the M2M section recently may have noticed several of my watches have been sold, including...

The RM001 JBF V1

3-CF11-C96-839-D-44-CC-A6-EA-68-A6-DB1-B3663.jpg

The RM035 Z+F

FF8211-B1-06-CB-4821-94-C3-F178245-ADEF6.jpg

The Patek Aquanaut SW200 that I’ve owned since 2013

84166-CF6-1701-4896-85-D4-6-C115-F1-FA501.jpg

And most painfully my gold Rolex 6265 with Phong dial

9-AD0949-F-24-FA-4614-90-C8-85-C07-FA9-AE49.jpg

I’m undecided whether anything else will leave the collection at this stage, it’s quite likely, but certainly there are a number of special watches that will never leave. These include:

The Stuvetjee/DC project 6270

47469-CC8-6-FA5-4-DA9-B256-61667-AD3846-A.jpg

The DateJust my wife bought me as one of my first “decent” reps

80-B62425-E79-B-4372-B9-F2-D99-D7094-B04-C.jpg

The 5227 my wife bought me for our wedding

CE6-E9-A7-B-D4-DD-4-D29-8-F0-F-1875-E2-BEF57-B.jpg

And the Rainbow Daytona purchased following the death of our second child last November with his name engraved on the back

18552-ED3-61-E5-40-C4-BE71-88-F99-A29-BDC8.jpg

Maybe it was that dreadful and difficult period at the end of last year that got me thinking, when I shuffle off this mortal coil I want to leave something to my family, particularly my first son, and I want that something to be real and hold value outside of these forums.

So, what have I bought as my first venture into gen watches? It’s a “Chronographe Suisse”, a company well known for producing affordable yet reliable watches to hundreds of micro brands throughout the 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s, in this case a brand called “Agari”.

AEA26742-F0-C6-42-CD-ADB4-B0-FEFBC5-A29-F.jpg

It does have a distinct air of Patek about it with its sweeping lugs and Arabic numeral markers which is probably what attracted me to it (though these are gilt printed rather than gold applied), but alas fortune has not befallen me to the extent of affording a similar vintage piece from my beloved Vallée de Joux manufacturer. The other instant attraction for me was the stunning “pink on pink” rose gold case and dial configuration, another trait of rare Patek chronographs of old.

C3080-CC9-2-C00-44-FD-9330-D4-FD7-E5809-FB.jpg

There is a certain special feeling to holding a gen watch, I’ve discovered. That feeling that, although a rep watch is made of much the same materials arranged in much the same way, this watch holds intrinsic value and is somehow more “real”. Not heavier in weight (not this one anyway for reasons we will go in to later) but heavier in presence and certainly in finish. It isn’t a representation of the history of watchmaking, it is a part of it!

The fact it is solid 18kt gold (in a beautiful subtle rose mix) does help this feeling of “specialness”, the lustre of real gold is hard to replicate (especially rose gold which is always too coppery in reps and plated cheap gens).

F3028760-ABF4-4-D58-95-D3-910-D9-FB03928.jpg

What might not come across in these pictures, however, is the fact that this watch is small. So small, in fact, that I actually passed on it initially when I queried the size with the seller. But a few wrist shots later I pulled the trigger, it looked fine on his wrist. Most members here probably wince at the thought of a 36mm watch such as a DateJust... well this baby is 33mm!!

730-A1-A17-E122-4-B38-B179-C48906027914.jpg

Opening the velvet covered full length snap case my initial reaction was one of surprise at just how small it was. Despite knowing the dimensions before purchase it was hard to imagine how it would look in the metal, and equally hard to convey in pictures without context (as I should have remembered, watches always tend to look larger in wrist shots than they do in reality). So to give you context and an idea of just how this watch sizes up (or down) here it is next to a modestly sized 38mm Patek 5227 dress watch rep...

100-A3-EA7-6728-4-A59-BB74-BD22-D4-F4-DF0-F.jpg

BA8-EC2-B8-E165-4347-8-CB6-C81-FEE1-F5-DA1.jpg

Small right? However, after an initial period of adjusting to it I have come to absolutely love the size, genuinely. For starters I have small wrists anyway (around 16cm) so I’ve always struggled with anything above 40mm, but as I look down at the watch on my wrist now it is the first time a watch has felt correctly proportioned for me, and even made my wrists look like that of a normal person. Secondly and perhaps most importantly it sits so nicely on the wrist, flat and with no severe overhang or digging of the crown into the back of my hand.

682-F8-CB2-8-B5-B-4950-B4-C5-4-AC989404608.jpg

F535-FAD3-F7-D2-4032-9-AB0-B9-DC0-E7-B4755.jpg

Thirdly and finally there is something really exquisite about something so small but finished so beautifully. Just look at the polished bevel on the centre of the hands where they sit on the canon pinion, the hands have real weight and three dimensionality to them despite being so delicate, these weren’t stamped out of a thin metal sheet. And the way the minute hand and chronograph hand both turn downward at their tips to avoid fouling the plexi crystal, these details are even more stunning for being in miniature.

D13177-CC-96-F9-4505-BEC9-72-AB2442-D86-C.jpg

Inside the case is an extremely clean Venus 188 manual wind cam actuated chronograph movement, which has a fantastic clicky winding feel to it. This watch has clearly seen very little use or wear in its 70+ year life. The chronograph pusher feel falls short of a more expensive column wheel actuated movement but is significantly better than the nasty A7750s we’ve all become used to. In any case it’s the winding that I will experience on a more regular basis so that’s more important to me.

76-C58-CF3-2072-4049-A1-E4-E911-ED0-FCAA7.jpg

The dial is magnificent and impeccably clean. It’s the original dial so again it’s condition suggests this watch has not been used and has likely sat in a drawer or watch box most of its life.

07-BCC113-43-B5-49-B3-869-F-64-EB38-D0595-B.jpg

It’s a rose gold metallic finish which appears either gold or cream coloured in normal light, but becomes a bright orange/pink in direct sunlight. It’s every bit as dynamic as a blue dial Nautilus for anyone who’s owned one of those. The Arabic indices are clear and legible, and are some sort of gilt painted finish, although they seem to have almost mirror like qualities so possibly they are foiled in some way, it’s hard to tell.

The outer scale is in two parts. The outer is printed blue and is a tachymeter for measuring speed over a set distance. The inner is printed red and is a telemeter, which means you can measure how far away something (like a gun) is by comparing the time difference between seeing the muzzle flash and hearing the bang (due to the difference in the speed of sound and the speed of light). Not so useful these days, but having just come out of a world war this type of functionality was probably considered very useful at the time!!

So what next? Well I’m still interested in reps but my standards have increased significantly. I’ve just taken delivery of the 3K factory Aquanaut and am incredibly impressed with that so it will certainly be staying.

F01-FA25-A-F979-4-DC1-864-A-A145-E05-CB4-B2.jpg

As for gens, this watch has unquestionably lit the fire of gen vintage watch ownership in me, and my next gen vintage piece is already en route from a seller in Brazil (a triple calendar with moonphase and chronograph no less) so I guess the DC collection is going in a different direction for the foreseeable future. Stay tuned... or don’t... it’s up to you!

DC

Last edited:

theREALgoat

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
14/8/14
Thanks for sharing _DC_ I didn't realize you lost a child, I'm sorry for you loss. I appreciate you sharing your story, you've grown a great deal over the years. I've always admired your passion as well as (most) of your collection. Although I've done my fair amount of flipping for one reason or another, I've come to understand what I look for in a piece, and that less it more over the years.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
jm_brc_7057 You wanted to know when I posted this, since it’s mostly your fault anyway haha!!

DC

HAHA guilty as charged. I am so happy on your behalf mate. It's really lovely to see how much you love this piece and the maturity in your relfections, as to the thoughts of leaving something real for your son.
It really touches me every time i have thought of your loss and i respect you more for the bravery of sharing it.

The Agari is incredible! And looks perfect on your wrist. And i agree with you completely, it's amazing and sophisticated with so much depth in such a small watch. It relly makes you realize the craftmanship of the Swiss.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
I know I'm totally missing the point of this thread, but that 6270!!!! Absolutely incredible. I was thinking about that build thread just the other day, but I couldn't remember whose thread it was. I'm glad I've found out again - I'm off to have another read!

The vintage is lovely too though, as is your review. Thanks for taking the time!

Reactions: Glaude

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Thanks for sharing _DC_ I didn't realize you lost a child, I'm sorry for you loss. I appreciate you sharing your story, you've grown a great deal over the years. I've always admired your passion as well as (most) of your collection. Although I've done my fair amount of flipping for one reason or another, I've come to understand what I look for in a piece, and that less it more over the years.

Thanks buddy, appreciate it. I can relate to the considerable amount of flipping, I counted every watch I’ve owned recently for my amusement and the grand total is 94. Takes time to develop taste, then even more time to develop good taste haha. Still don’t think I’m quite there yet and this new watch is a good example of learning something knew about my own tastes in watches!!

DC

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
HAHA guilty as charged. I am so happy on your behalf mate. It's really lovely to see how much you love this piece and the maturity in your relfections, as to the thoughts of leaving something real for your son.
It really touches me every time i have thought of your loss and i respect you more for the bravery of sharing it.

The Agari is incredible! And looks perfect on your wrist. And i agree with you completely, it's amazing and sophisticated with so much depth in such a small watch. It relly makes you realize the craftmanship of the Swiss.

Thanks buddy, but my bank manager (aka my wife) says I have to stop talking to you because it’s costing me too much haha!

I’ve enjoyed our vintage gen chit chat over recent weeks.

DC

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I know I'm totally missing the point of this thread, but that 6270!!!! Absolutely incredible. I was thinking about that build thread just the other day, but I couldn't remember whose thread it was. I'm glad I've found out again - I'm off to have another read!

The vintage is lovely too though, as is your review. Thanks for taking the time!

Haha, hope you found the thread ok and enjoyed it as much second time around. It really was a great project and a watch I’m really proud of. That plus the fact there is only two is the reason I will never sell it, I guess it’s a part of my journey here on the forums. I feel blessed to have met some great people here and it’s good to have a physical manifestation of that... also it’s sparkly... so that’s always good :)

DC

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
I should get my Rainbow Daytona same as yours in a couple of days, I'll always have a thought for your baby boy with me while wearing it !

This is an fantastic curated collection you have left and an even greater one to come.

Thanks for sharing !

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Thanks buddy, but my bank manager (aka my wife) says I have to stop talking to you because it’s costing me too much haha!

I’ve enjoyed our vintage gen chit chat over recent weeks.

DC

Haha she’s gonna see a transformed better version of her husband now :D xD

Me too it’s been quite a journey into the rabbit hole. Deep down haha have learned a lot!

rabl253

Supporter
Certified
1/2/19
Really enjoyed this writeup, and some great shots of watches - have you considered writing for Hodinkee? :p

I agree with you about the classical sizing - I have friends who refuse to wear anything under 40mm and refer to 36mm watches as "women's" watches for "manlets with tiny wrists" and needless to say we get into arguments about it all the time.

It's not about the size, it's how you use it ;)

Reactions: majwilliams0308

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
Really enjoyed this writeup, and some great shots of watches - have you considered writing for Hodinkee? :p

I completely agree with this sentiment. DC's way of writing is what sold me on Patek - a brand that I initially was just okay with.

DC, wonderful write up, and the photos are simply fantastic. Those daytonas are amazing. AMAZING.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I agree with you about the classical sizing - I have friends who refuse to wear anything under 40mm and refer to 36mm watches as "women's" watches for "manlets with tiny wrists" and needless to say we get into arguments about it all the time.

If a persons manliness depends on whether or not their wristwatch is more than 40mm or not, i'm unsure if they should consult a psychologist or a plastic surgeon.

Reactions: rabl253

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK

It's not about the size, it's how you use it ;)

Haha, writing for Hodinkee would certainly be a dream job, but I doubt they’re looking for rep collecting estate agents with no background in journalism, lol?! Who knows, Ben Clymer could be a secret member here... but I doubt it!

As for the whole small watch thing, I think it’s a little bit like red wine, or gin and tonic, it’s a taste that tends to come with age. I’m 36 in the next few months which is still relatively young, I guess, but I’d say life has matured me somewhat in recent years. Not many people know this but my first rep was a highly polished 46mm steel Breitling, and I loved it!! The bigger the better was my motto... now the idea of a large chunky steel watch does nothing for me and I’m excited by 33-36mm chronographs in gold.

Am I now right and my younger self was wrong? Who knows, maybe we were both right but for different times... (we weren’t, I was definitely very wrong back then and very right right now). But different strokes for different folks I guess!

DC

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
I completely agree with this sentiment. DC's way of writing is what sold me on Patek - a brand that I initially was just okay with.

DC, wonderful write up, and the photos are simply fantastic. Those daytonas are amazing. AMAZING.

Thanks buddy I appreciate it. I’ve always been alright with words, it’s probably why I’m a salesman now. Just don’t ask me to do mathematics or the thin veil of intellect will be forever lifted!!

DC

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Hi _DC_ . I don't think I know you, and don't believe that we have ever dealt/conversed on here, but just wanted to take the time to say thanks for sharing your story and new purchase. Your reason for going gen fully resonate with me. Whilst I may be accused of bring trite or cliched to say, the joy of knowing that I have gen pieces to hand down to my sons, is one of the joys of building a collection. So sorry about the loss of your child, a terrible thing for any parent to go through. When the time is right, it may be a great excuse to buy another gen, that would have been for him/her.

Lovely watch - wear it well.

ZD82

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Thanks far all the kind comments and messages guys!!

The next piece in the gen collection arrived today...

1-C192-D48-73-E6-4762-A5-FB-DD5445945-EE9.jpg

The strap is pretty horrid but that will be swapped out soon enough. Needs a service and the hands need refurbishing, other than that it’s a beauty!!

DC

Last edited:

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
The strap is pretty horrid but that will be swapped out soon enough. Needs a service and the hands need refurbishing, other than that it’s a beauty!!

It's a beautiful watch buddy! I'm glad you bought it. It has a lovely timeless design. Once you've gotten the hands in better shape (or replaced) it's gonna be a real stunner. It has that Patek-vibe to it and it's incredible to have a watch with a calendar, moonphase and chronograph in one. And manual wound. Doesn't get much better than that!