• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What percentage of Rep collectors do you think go on to purchase the genuine article?

mike_hk2ksk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/11/19
My process is 100% opposite. For a few years I only had Gen watches: rolex Sub, Panerai and B&M. My enjoyment and ROI were pretty low. I couldn't wear my favorite pieces in most business and social settings. And wearing these luxury items to the grocery store, home depot, mall, park - I felt pretty ridiculous. So I sold my Rolex and PAM towards the end of 2019. A few months later I got an itch, started research and landed here. Glad I did. I zeroed in on a couple of pieces I like even if I wear them infrequently. This is optimal for my needs.

Reactions: rj999 and Perpetual

pt98765

9/4/20
UK
Another one here who started with gens long before reps...gens are gens, they can't be beaten, but reps allow you to experiment with wearing brands and styles of watches that you may not feel ready to take the plunge on in gen, perhaps ever (example, I just bought an RM rep, wouldn't dream of buying a real one). It's also the 'thrill of the hunt'...the pursuit of creating something increasingly gen-like, rather than just buying a gen off the shelf. Sometimes it isn't about money; plenty of folks on here are putting a lot more money into their collections than many gen owners, but are probably ending up with a much more diverse and interesting collection of timepieces that they can pretty easily re-sell when they're done with and not lose an awful lot of money. Beyond some of the most desirable sports Rolexes etc, most gen watches lose a ton of money on resale.

GBB_19NHS

Known Member
12/2/15
UK
I actually stared with gen first before I came across the replica world. Much like with a car I got fairly used to / tired of my first gen, sold it bought a new one and the same happened. Given prices for some of those pieces its not that easy to just keep trading them.

I also dont want to worry so much when going out and also people get robbed for high priced gens so naturally I spent more time with the reps. Also given how good the quality has become it sometimes makes no sense to even think about the gen.

I should add I have learned a lot more about watches due to the rep world and really appreciate the details a lot more now

Last edited:
Reactions: AndyP1000 and rj999

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
In my case, I started with gens, then discovered reps. Now I tend to buy a rep, wear it for a little while and if I like it, then I go gen. 11 watches in total, 2 reps right now (2 more coming in mail next week).

Octobrist

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/10/19
Baetica
Another one that's going in the opposite direction. I sold most of my gens in 2009 to finance my other big kid's hobby (cars and bikes) and just returned to watches one year ago. And when you had sold a gen SUB for 2800€ or a Zenith Rainbow Flyback for 2500 it's hard to see how crazy are the prices right now for the same thing so, after discover the hi-grade reps, I'm not going to enter the gen game again. My future gen plans only comprises two watches: Omega Speedmaster and IWC Ingenieur.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
If you think that for every rep submariner is sold that any more than 1 of that 100 go on and buy a real one you are sadly mistaken.