• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I got really lucky on dhgate

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20
I bought 3 watches, all listings long since removed. One ($25) never arrived. One ($25) looks great but ticks. This one ($86) fools everybody.

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Lucky?

Reactions: numero2

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20

?? I figured this was on par with what was generally collected here. This is a very nice watch. The third hand does not "tick", it's nice and smooth. For the price I paid, I certainly was not expecting something this NICE. I expected the second hand to tick. I'm open to constructive comments.

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20
When I got my first rep (about fifteen years ago while on a business trip to Shanghai), I thought I hit the jackpot.

Friend, I'd like to ask if the "seconds" hand ticked on replicas back then?? My Dad used to get replicas from Mexico and they all ticked.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It would be nice to see some clearer photos, so we can properly appreciate its peculiar beauty.

Picking up decent reps from the Gate isn't that unusual, but it is a bit of a minefield/lucky dip unless you find a seller you can rely on - so well done for striking lucky. Generally any automatic will have a smooth running seconds hand (even a $15 2813 movement is pretty smooth running at 6 beats per second) - it's the cheaper quartz jobs that are the tickers.

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20
It would be nice to see some clearer photos, so we can properly appreciate its peculiar beauty.

Picking up decent reps from the Gate isn't that unusual, but it is a bit of a minefield/lucky dip unless you find a seller you can rely on - so well done for striking lucky. Generally any automatic will have a smooth running seconds hand (even a $15 2813 movement is pretty smooth running at 6 beats per second) - it's the cheaper quartz jobs that are the tickers.

Thank you for the kind words, yes I am very proud of this watch.

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Did Bart Simpson draw that dial coronet? Overall horribly uglier than a meth addict 65 year old hooker on the south side of chicago.

Reactions: nicmend

Roger1166

Horology Curious
13/5/20
Wow wee!!! That's not something you can wear everywhere like say a SS sub but congrats on your find.

Hello, thank you for the kind words. Not to give off the wrong idea, but I dress pretty "over the top" all the time (my face mask has rhinestones). Anyway, generally speaking I feel that most Rolex watches look very "plain" looking, and very generic. The vast majority of them do not appeal to me (aesthetically speaking, that is).