• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do you guys care for waterproofing?

tuxified

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/10/19
Do you guys care for extra waterproofing services when taking your reps in? Do you guys feel comfortable swimming with your reps? I have 2 reps at the moment with 3 more coming in and Im considering adding additional waterproofing to the service bill but I'm not sure if I would be able to justify it. Especially since 2 watches would need additional work in sealing the helium escape valves.

tuxified

9/10/19
Pretty much all the reps I have survive perfectly well in my swimming pool and shower.

I never fix anything till its broken

( Probably why I have had 4 divorces, but old habits.....)

Hahaha. Do you bring your reps in for service or just go balls deep right into water when you get them?

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
I don't really want to invest extra money to waterproof them, so I'll stick to my gens when I do watersports...

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Pretty much all the reps I have survive perfectly well in my swimming pool and shower.

That's probably what the guy thought who owned the Sub rep I bought with a "stem problem" which turned out to be that the stem - and entire movement - had pretty much rusted to nothing. It's not much fun trying to clean up the case and dial once a watch has been eaten by water ingress... :)

I'm a big diving watch fan. but never wear any of them anywhere near water. If I was going to, I'd get them waterproofed and tested by a watchsmith and not risk them "probably" being fine. Your average Chinese watch assembler is likely to have been as diligent with your watch's waterproofing as he was with scrupulously oiling it correctly...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirkjon and cpd2186

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
I check all the seals and grease them. Then I do test waterproofness on all my reps.
...In my bathtub.
If anything goes wrong, I’ll service them right away. If not, test —> OK

Last edited:

tuxified

9/10/19
That's probably what the guy thought who owned the Sub rep I bought with a "stem problem" which turned out to be that the stem - and entire movement - had pretty much rusted to nothing. It's not much fun trying to clean up the case and dial once a watch has been eaten by water ingress... :)

I'm a big diving watch fan. but never wear any of them anywhere near water. If I was going to, I'd get them waterproofed and tested by a watchsmith and not risk them "probably" being fine. Your average Chinese watch assembler is likely to have been as diligent with your watch's waterproofing as he was with scrupulously oiling it correctly...

I think Im in the same boat as you. But also it feels silly taking off a Sea-Dweller to go for a dip in the water so theres that.

Reactions: Dirkjon and cpd2186

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I think Im in the same boat as you. But also it feels silly taking off a Sea-Dweller to go for a dip in the water so theres that.
Oh it's definitely silly... As silly as the fact that I love dive watches, but am terrified of water. Consequently I never go swimming, so it's not a problem for me. Oh, and I live on an island - which compounds the silliness. :)

tuxified

9/10/19
Oh it's definitely silly... As silly as the fact that I love dive watches, but am terrified of water. Consequently I never go swimming, so it's not a problem for me. Oh, and I live on an island - which compounds the silliness. :)

Thats a big yikes. I dont mind the water but I also love dive watches but don't really do anything water related. I imagine one day when the yacht comes in Ill consider getting the reps waterproofed haha

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
I get all my reps serviced right away and watch maker water proofs at the same time. So far my watches have survived rain, splash from normal wear and the beach. Many members have gone swimming or in salty environments as well post water proofing.

Like p0pperini , I love rep dive watches but am equally scared to go in the water with them :D:D

tuxified

9/10/19
I get all my reps serviced right away and watch maker water proofs at the same time. So far my watches have survived rain, splash from normal wear and the beach. Many members have gone swimming or in salty environments as well post water proofing.

Like p0pperini , I love rep dive watches but am equally scared to go in the water with them :D:D

Whats freaky is that my watchsmith told me to waterproof rep dive watches they essentially need to epoxy or whatever the helium escape valve shut and pray that it holds.

mari115

9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Whats freaky is that my watchsmith told me to waterproof rep dive watches they essentially need to epoxy or whatever the helium escape valve shut and pray that it holds.

Some watches have a fake closed valve, so it's not a real problem for every watch that has one

asanibal

Renowned Member
19/10/08
I do, but only the watches I would use wit water
an AP Diver and a Hulk for example
The AP Diver came with me doing scuba diving and zero problem.

FREEWIFI

Renowned Member
Certified
24/2/19
I never took a rep into the water, but if you want to waterproof better to do that in a watchsmith better than directly from TD.

This bring me memories of some guys throwing his watches on an ice bucket to “show off” the realness of his watches at a beach club some years ago- no comments.

jdoc77

Known Member
Certified
8/4/20

( Probably why I have had 4 divorces, but old habits.....)

hahaha that was the funniest comment i've seen on this site. Bravo

Reactions: Taz71 and timnic54

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
Hahaha. Do you bring your reps in for service or just go balls deep right into water when you get them?

I have spent a lot of time around watches and have very little time for paranoia . I look at them and make a judgement on whether or not I think the watch will be waterproof. So far no problems.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I prefer to buy high-end reps with screw down crowns, and have had no issues with water getting in the watches.

Reactions: Dirkjon

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I have worn many reps with helium escape valves swimming, but I have tested them all myself.

I think the point here is that all watches could leak if they aren't tested. The Chinese rep factories certainly don't water test them just like they don't regulate any of the watches they make. Odds are good they won't leak ( from my experience) but better safe than sorry