• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

buying watches tax free

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
Ok so ebayy now charges taxes. That sucks. Kind of takes away some of the bargain factor when you find something nice. I've gotten a few nice things and been kicked in the nuts with taxes. Where are some other tax free sites?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
eBay doesn't charge taxes, it applies the taxes levied by states/countries/customs etc.

Reactions: GhostRider83

jackbrabham

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
6/10/18
Ok so ebayy now charges taxes. That sucks. Kind of takes away some of the bargain factor when you find something nice. I've gotten a few nice things and been kicked in the nuts with taxes. Where are some other tax free sites?

Are you talking new or used?

If the latter, try some local classifieds sites. Craigslist-esque.

Though if you are buying within your own state you probably wouldn't pay taxes anyway.

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
Nothing wrong with taxes. Paying more for watches is what sucks. It's just thinking you're paying one price then at checkout it jumps up by 200.00. I guess I'll just mentally add 10% to all prices I see to avoid the kick in the nuts at checkout.

asphaltjunkie

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/4/20
the only way that I know of to get new watches tax free is that if you are buying them in the different country that does not have VAT/TAX authority over your home country. For example, if you are on holiday in EU and you buying a new watch, you can get VAT refund at the airport if you are flying and have residence in the country that is outside of EU. As an american citizen, you can buy a watch in EU and get refund on VAT (minus fees from the refund office). so thats king of a 16% discount....

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
the only way that I know of to get new watches tax free is that if you are buying them in the different country that does not have VAT/TAX authority over your home country. For example, if you are on holiday in EU and you buying a new watch, you can get VAT refund at the airport if you are flying and have residence in the country that is outside of EU. As an american citizen, you can buy a watch in EU and get refund on VAT (minus fees from the refund office). so thats king of a 16% discount....

Well not, if the item exceeds the exemption limit - you are legally supposed to declare that purchase in your country (US) and pay taxes ;)

Do I like it? Absolutely not. But we need taxpayer $$s to get the civic benefits in the Community we live in.

Reactions: efajri

asphaltjunkie

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
6/4/20
Well not, if the item exceeds the exemption limit - you are legally supposed to declare that purchase in your country (US) and pay taxes ;)

Do I like it? Absolutely not. But we need taxpayer $$s to get the civic benefits in the Community we live in.
ok. how is buying something overseas and paying tax on it USA benefits community you live in? you are paying tax twice and benefiting the place where yu bought the item as well.

Last edited:

jackbrabham

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
6/10/18
ok. how is buying something overseas and paying tax on it USA benefits community you live in? you are paying tax twice and benefiting the place where yu bought the item as well.

The idea is that you claim back the sales tax in the country of sale at the port of exit.

Then you bring it back to the US and pay the applicable domestic sales tax.

It's to protect local businesses. I don't have a view as to whether or not it is fair.