• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Effect of Corona Downturn on Value of Popular Gens and Reps

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
I think you'd find that the prices will be dropping at the vintage watch dealers.

Certainly when I've gone to sell not-so-popular gen pieces the prices are substantially lower at dealers/on consignment than on Chrono.

Let's see if I can finally get a gen 1675 from my birth year at a reasonable price...

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
My AD just called me asking if I was interested in buying anything. He wouldn’t budge on the prices he quoted in December for my non-Rolex grail watches. I think it’s a matter of time though.

jackbrabham

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
6/10/18
Such great data coming through on the thread.

Perhaps a good point to consider opportunity cost if you are looking to make a purchase. Cash right now can buy more assets than it could 4 months ago.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
The gen watches I’ve been following haven’t changed hands for a few months now. Market was already too artificially high. And now there is a real risk that the bubble will burst.

Off course a lot of people have money. But there are also a huge variety of brands other than the few big ones. There are many independents and vintage etc to collect from.
Almost everyone is a Insta collector nowadays. But many of these people are collecting watches like shares. It’s more for speculation. Not all of them are so rich that they use money they can afford to keep in watches when the economy is bad.

If the economy is affected more there will be many watches to pick up for reasonable prices. But desperation also makes people scam etc more. So one has to be careful with private dealers.

Last edited: