• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Effect of Corona Downturn on Value of Popular Gens and Reps

jackbrabham

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
6/10/18
Curious as to the community's thoughts on the effect of this market downturn (and/or recession) on the value of genuine, franken and replica watches.

I think that, assuming no rapid recovery, the value of popular, fashionable models (SS) may drop substantially and not recover to previous highs.

Corresponding franken watch values should drop too but I would assume that rep costs and value would remain fairly constant.

Have you seen an increase in listings of luxury watches you've been following and a drop in their listing price?

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Well Patek are allowing their UK AD's to sell online for the first time EVER . They are allowing 23 different watch lines to be sold online . They are working with the dealers to get some watches from basket to customers next day .

That's a bit of a change to marketing and sales techniques! What waiting list ? We don't give a fuck whether your a PP type of customer just give us your dough .

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
I think that, assuming no rapid recovery, the value of popular, fashionable models (SS) may drop substantially and not recover to previous highs.
I wouldn't be so sure. Generally speaking, in times of recession precious metals prices go up. Gold, diamonds, coins should go up. Now, I would love to see gen Hulks and BMW 8s on sale but to be honest, I don't see it happening any time soon. Maybe some local ADs will readjust their "waitlist" policies, but no change in prices is to be expected.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Rep prices are generally not impacted by economic conditions because they are priced so low already compared to gens. We are a miniscule part of their customer base...as long as Mainland Chinese customers buy, they will sell at current prices.

Reactions: Updog

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I think that, assuming no rapid recovery, the value of popular, fashionable models (SS) may drop substantially and not recover to previous.
The price of luxury goods is largely recession-proof. There could be a very small temporary dip, but anything more significant would indicate we all have a lot more to worry about than falling watch prices.

Corresponding franken watch values should drop too but I would assume that rep costs and value would remain fairly constant.
Your Franken prediction sounds like wishful thinking... ;) And I’m with you on what effect this will have on rep prices; although if anything, they may well rise because a) they can, and b) factories will want to recoup the revenue lost during the coronapocalypse.

Mr Seamaster

Renowned Member
27/4/12
There’s a quite interesting thread over at VRF about exactly the same.
Some hope prices go down, other hope that they skyrocket even more due to inflation.

I don’t know what the consensus is over there, but I believe prices will stay the same.

Cheers

Genera74

29/12/14
Would love to see some data on luxury goods price swing during recession period. Very interested. My limited economic knowledge would guess that prices of most things except essentials will at least soften. However, its hard to come to a conclusion without hard data

Dino888

1/3/20
BC Canada
Good to know I just purchased a noob v3 daytona and was thinking if I should wait or not :p

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
Well Patek are allowing their UK AD's to sell online for the first time EVER . They are allowing 23 different watch lines to be sold online . They are working with the dealers to get some watches from basket to customers next day .

That's a bit of a change to marketing and sales techniques! What waiting list ? We don't give a fuck whether your a PP type of customer just give us your dough .

As far as I know, Patek is limited by production capacity - hence the waiting lists. Wondering if there's really so any watches on stock for next day shipment...?

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
As far as I know, Patek is limited by production capacity - hence the waiting lists. Wondering if there's really so any watches on stock for next day shipment...?

According to the press and various watch publications yes . Just a thought but the PP exclusivity due to limited production capacity could be a marketing ploy , and they in fact have a small warehouse full of watches . Controlling demand by cutting supply etc is a marketing ploy used by a lot of luxury brands . You know Hermes have convinced customers to join waiting lists for exclusive extortionately priced handbags . Supposedly made personally for them by fairies in a magic workshop that only appears once a year . However they actually have a warehouse full of them to the South of Paris .

TO QUOTE THE ARTICLE ' Don't expect any stainless steel Nautilus or Aquanauts to be available . However Watches Of Switzerland in the UK has 23 models listed as AVAILABLE for next day delivery ranging from a Twenty-4 for £9,550 to a diamond encrusted Gondolo at £85,070.'

However don't shoot the messenger.

Last edited:

YellowFin

28/1/20
Molvania
According to the press and various watch publications yes . Just a thought but the PP exclusivity due to limited production capacity could be a marketing ploy , and they in fact have a small warehouse full of watches. Controlling demand by cutting supply etc is a marketing ploy used by a lot of luxury brands . You know Hermes have convinced customers to join waiting lists for exclusive extortionately priced handbags . Supposedly made personally for them by fairies in a magic workshop that only appears once a year . However they actually have a warehouse full of them to the South of Paris .

TO QUOTE THE ARTICLE ' Don't expect any stainless steel Nautilus or Aquanauts to be available . However Watches Of Switzerland in the UK has 23 models listed as AVAILABLE for next day delivery ranging from a Twenty-4 for £9,550 to a diamond encrusted Gondolo at £85,070.'

However don't shoot the messenger.
Might be that they have a similar concept as Rolex that all watches are produced at certain runrates and the dealers have to buy whatever PP ships to them. I have to agree with you that cutting suplies is part of the game here. I strongly assume a good customer buying 200k worth of Bulgari jewellery for his wife might get an Aquanaut without discussion or waiting list.

Not sure if you're referring to that, but I read "Bringing home the Birkin" some years ago which was actually a very interesting read about business practices in the luxury world.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
If you're a grey dealer then you are in deep shit. You can already get most steel sport watches 20% cheaper from them than you could a month ago (not incl. Daytona) and prices there will fall further.

Otherwise in the world of AD's everything is on hold. Even if they are online, toilet paper is more important than that Tag / Fossil watch and folks aren't buying.

It may be true that recession does not impact the price of luxury goods, but a recession sure as hell means less people are buying them - and we're going to be in the worst one we have ever had.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike116

rolex79

28/3/16
Prices are absolutely falling off a cliff right now. Watch them continue to fall, like in 2008 when you could find any watch at MSRP. And somehow this economic crisis is much worse. If you’re in the market for a gen hulk, Batman, etc just wait and watch.
giphy.gif

balance27

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
18/3/15
United Kingdom
I sold a genuine BRAND NEW stickered 2020 submariner 116610 for £8250 last week and I feel I got rid at the right time. Prices are dropping quickly! There are some on eBay at £8750 but been on there for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YellowFin

28/1/20
Molvania
Does anyone have examples on a bigger scale? I don't see anything dropping on Chrono24 so far...

Reactions: Dirkjon

jackbrabham

Supporter
6/10/18
Does anyone have examples on a bigger scale? I don't see anything dropping on Chrono24 so far...

I think you'd find that the prices will be dropping at the vintage watch dealers.

Certainly when I've gone to sell not-so-popular gen pieces the prices are substantially lower at dealers/on consignment than on Chrono.

Reactions: Mike116

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
Im sure there are plenty of speculative buyers out there that have bought as prices were on the up hoping to make a margin, especially gen Rolex. The first things to be sold in any ressession are watches, jewelry and luxury cars. This crisis will be no different i doubt

Last edited:

Dirkjon

Supporter
Certified
15/4/12
USA
Im sure there are plenty of speculative buyers out there that have bought as prices were on the up hoping to make a margin, especially gen Rolex. The first things to be sold in any ressession are watches, jewelry and luxury cars. This crisis will be no different i doubt

Yaaaaaa, bottom line is that there will be some folks (dealers and individuals) who purchased gens speculatively and need or want to convert their gens to cash who will be willing to sell them for less than what they were selling for 6 months ago. Those folks either buy and sell gens as a business, like stocks, or need/want cash because they want to move their money to a commodity that they feel safer with. No doubt that there will be some deals to be had imho.

Reactions: jm_brc_7057

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17

A blue pristine 5711 goes now for around USD 50.000 instead of triple the MSRP... i remember the time when a blue nautilus was around 90.000 EUR in germany... horrendous.

i think prices will start to fall a bit more especially on less common models - if you got the cash laying around i presume this is the right time to buy something modest (maybe not a 50.000 bucks nautilus lol) at a fair price as the market will stabilize as usual...

imagine rolex‘ supply will be even shorter as they closed their manufactures during these hard times. Think about the marketing possibilities for them...

Reactions: jm_brc_7057