• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PROS of owning a replica watch...

Lizandro

16/4/19
San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA
For a pros is that it makes me feel cool to know I wearing a watch that even though its a rep, still represents a lot

guys don’t hate for this, a great rep watch on the street will never hurt the brand name of the company because let’s say you have a super rep and someone see’s the watch they will never know is rep but they will go through their day inspired by a watch that wasn’t a gen and that gets them into the watch community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Pros of owning a replica watch .....

They look cool
us poor guys can afford them

cheaper to maintain than the real ones

you can tell what time it is , just by looking at them

oh oh oh , the best part ....you might join a replica watch community like RWI and meet some really cool people !!!!

You sound like my previous boss, currently client. Guesstimate his current net worth is $30M, maybe $40 before this drop (not counting value of his business), but he always considers himself poor.

Another another use of reps is the "decoy" value. In a hypothetical burglary situation, a winder full of nice reps placed strategically .....

Reactions: Lizandro

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
PRO: You can be more than happy than acquiring a gen, knowing that you have the same looks and functionality in a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very LOW PRICE.

Well that just me anyway :D.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
PRO: You can be more than happy than acquiring a gen, knowing that you have the same looks and functionality in a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very LOW PRICE.

Well that just me anyway :D.

You missed 2 more "very"s. I did an actual comparison of cost and it came out to be exactly 47.5 "very" s needed.:lmao:

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I’m really clumsy and incredibly absent-minded, so it’s far less stressful wearing a rep when I’m bashing it against walls or frying food, spraying paint or cleaning the toilet without taking it off first...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: ryguy6333

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
Reps are becoming better and better everyday, gen prices grown a lot and i would prefer to travel with a nice rep instead of taking risk with a gen.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

Last edited:

ABC123

22/8/07
USA
Cheap $ that gets you close enough to the real thing.
the con of the reps is these damn version numbers and incremental improvement game the factories are trying to get us to play. To which is say, sorry this is an iPhone, not looking to upgrade every year.

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
I would add there is a sensation somewhat akin to hunting when looking for parts for a Franken or hybrid watch - the hobby aspect starts to become more encompassing the longer you are in.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Riverwind85

26/4/18
I would add there is a sensation somewhat akin to hunting when looking for parts for a Franken or hybrid watch - the hobby aspect starts to become more encompassing the longer you are in.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

That’s what I think, I love the hunt of parts for a Franken and I love to find informations about movements, dials, parts, etc...

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
For me it is about buying and owning watches I like. I have over the years owned a huge number of Gens. I still have a large collection of gens. I can fortunately still afford to buy gens if i wish. However I will not buy a gen NWBIG because there is no point.

EG A pam 111. The Noob v3 and onwards offers everything the Gen offers for a tiny proportion of the price. So, as with many other watches, I would consider it completely crazy to buy the gen.

My Parmigiani Kalpagrapgh and Hemispheres cannot be reasonably replicated for reasons of complication. Therefore I consider these worth buying in gen.

In simple terms I love watches but I hate being F*****d over.

If someone expects me to pay 20g for a SS watch with a simple even poor movement with an indirect seconds
( because they didn't want to spend the money creating a new movement with a real center seconds EG PP 324) Then I will show them 1 finger and buy the extremely well made rep.

I believe this is the free market functioning correctly.

I take the Chinese view of IP. It is simply a protectionism. Most current Swiss and German manufacturers IMO have little more moral right to eponymy than Noob, ZF or anyone else.

As for tales of rich rep making factories and profitable TDs. If that is true , then with the risks they take they deserve it. I have never been sucked in by the politics of envy.

Last edited:

Samgobigs

11/2/20
Pro: you can ‘try’ on a watch before buying the gen. Sometimes, there’s no authorized dealer where you can try on the watch, or perhaps you want to wear it for a while before spending $$$ on the gen. The way I see it, buy the rep. If you don’t like the style or fit of the watch, you’re down $500 but better than buying the gen and realizing it’s not for you.

ryguy6333

Horology Curious
19/3/20
California
Pro: you can ‘try’ on a watch before buying the gen. Sometimes, there’s no authorized dealer where you can try on the watch, or perhaps you want to wear it for a while before spending $$$ on the gen. The way I see it, buy the rep. If you don’t like the style or fit of the watch, you’re down $500 but better than buying the gen and realizing it’s not for you.

Totally agree. I used to think a 1016 was my holy grail watch but after buying a rep, it’s a bit small/underwhelming. So I’m glad I didn’t spend forever saving up the $10k+ for a real one

Lovegmt73

7/3/20
Totally agree. I used to think a 1016 was my holy grail watch but after buying a rep, it’s a bit small/underwhelming. So I’m glad I didn’t spend forever saving up the $10k+ for a real one

The 1016 is one of my preferred but at wrist loose its fascination

velinn

Horology Curious
28/3/20
I believe this is the free market functioning correctly.

I believe in this statement 100%. I keep seeing videos on YouTube about how "awful" it is that millions of reps are being produced each year. Well they always say a product is worth whatever people are willing to pay for it and the market is deciding what these things are worth. Are super complicated in-house movements cool? Yes, very. Are they better than a 2824 which we know is super reliable and copyright free? Well, the market very clearly says no. If these companies refuse to listen to the market, then the market responds with knockoffs. No segment of the market is immune to this. I don't know why the Swiss think they're so damn special when it comes to this.

Reactions: Essray

Essray

Renowned Member
22/5/16
Wisconsin USA
Agree: I remember when Mercedes refused to put a simple cup holder in there cars. “The driver of our automobile should be focused on the driving experience”.

I have both. Amazing frankens and gens. Some reps led me to gens. Some gens led me back to reps. I’m of two minds often. Which ever way the wind blows.

I (had secret from my wife) a franken hulk v6s. Amazing! The. Before I could unveil it, she presented me with a gen. It was amazing to see them side by side. The dial was rep. That was almost the only tell. I wore the rep more often as to not muck up the gen. It took something away from the experience. Over 5k difference in price gave me the same look. But the gen does have sentimental value.

Pro/con

Rep: if you enjoy the hobby, your money goes much further to have an amazing selection. But: servicing sucks without some planning. Selling can suck too considering this is a black market. There is mush less engineering and design effort that goes into this to make it work well.

Gen: The unimaginable effort that goes into a product, this complex, to get it to the production phase. knowing you have backing on your wrist for whatever satisfaction that gives you. Vanity, status, history, etc...
But: Service is expensive and may be no more reliable that a rep.

SCShrek

SpoonFeeder
7/9/18
South Carolina, US
Pro: A rep may be about the ONLY way you own certain vintage watches, for example, a Rolex 6542 GMT. A real 1950's era watch is going to be so beat to hell, serviced to hell with newish service parts or so damn expensive, a rep would be the only way to go.