• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PROS of owning a replica watch...

ryguy6333

Horology Curious
19/3/20
California
There's so many videos on YouTube about why you shouldn't buy a replica watch. I thought I'd share my two cents about why it's a good idea...
  • First off, for about 10% the price (or less), you can get 90% (or more) the watch
  • It requires real craftsmanship to replicate something so identical, with far fewer resources than the original makers
  • You give your $ to poor people, not a multi-billion dollar company (like Rolex—8 billion dollar value)
  • The money you spend basically all goes into making the watch, not marketing or executive payrolls or a million other things that aren't the watch itself
  • You don’t have to worry about scratching/breaking/losing it nearly as much as you would the real thing
  • You can just enjoy it instead of doing what I've always done which is sell a nice watch because it gives me anxiety to have something so valuable sitting in a drawer
  • The replica watch community is the least judgmental, least watch snobbery group I've found in the watch world
  • It’s about a genuine love for these objects, not about buying things to put in a safe
  • It's a fun hobby, without costing an arm and a leg
  • Using Rolex as an example, $2,500 gets you the most basic entry level thing out there OR it can get you 5 of the best replicas of the best models
So what are your pros? I'd love to hear

Last edited:

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
You give your $ to poor people, not a multi-billion dollar company (like Rolex—8 billion dollar value)

Not really, the workers in the factory might be poor, but the people that are behind it are incredibly rich, it's not different from any other big factory business in china, except that it's illegal, so you are basically financing the local mafia and / or illegal businesses in general.

Anyways, another pro would be that if you get robbed you would lose 500$ and not 10-20k, so it kinda works like an insurance

Reactions: sn95 and XLR8R

Nivka

10/4/15
Australia
Pro: researching the rep differences with the gen make you appreciate both so much more
Pro: being able to mod and customise
Pro: still able to purchase during global corona shutdown
Pro: giving young children an opportunity to gain vocational experience and skills

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
First off, you’re not getting 90% of the real thing. You getting 0%.
I could go on, but nothing wrong with a rose tinted view on the world right now.

ryguy6333

Horology Curious
19/3/20
California
First off, you’re not getting 90% of the real thing. You getting 0%.
I could go on, but nothing wrong with a rose tinted view on the world right now.

Right, of course. But your getting 90%+ the same object.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sn95

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
I scratched one of my watches the other day while I was out shopping, I was upset for a moment but relieved when I remembered it's a $400 rep not a $12,000 gen. The advantage to me would be getting to actually enjoy the watch without worrying about decreasing the value or worrying about silly scratches. Another huge + is that it's easier and cheaper to service, a new gen eta can be purchased for under $200 while a single part for a gen 3135 could be $200+

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
The money you spend basically all goes into making the watch, not marketing or executive payrolls or a million other things that aren't the watch itself
Not too sure on this one, have you seen the money factory owners are making? You are also paying a middle man since the TDs have to eat as well at the end of the day.

ryguy6333

Horology Curious
19/3/20
California
Not too sure on this one, have you seen the money factory owners are making? You are also paying a middle man since the TDs have to eat as well at the end of the day.

I should have chosen my words better. How about, a much higher percentage of what you spend goes into making the object, as opposed to a new Submariner for $7,500 - how much of that is the actual manufacturing? Can’t imagine it’s more than $1,000

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nipe

PINK PONY RIDER
9/4/16
EU
There's so many videos on YouTube about why you shouldn't buy a replica watch. I thought I'd share my two cents about why it's a good idea...
  • First off, for about 10% the price (or less), you can get 90% (or more) the watch - You get 0% of the watch, but you get a 'a watch' with the brandname on it and in most cases it looks a lot like the actual deal.
  • It requires real craftsmanship to replicate something so identical, with far fewer resources than the original makers - No it really doesn't. No creativity needed, just creating similar parts, not that hard tbh.
  • You give your $ to poor people, not a multi-billion dollar company (like Rolex—8 billion dollar value) - The people behind rep factories are very very rich.. and you can bet they wear gens :)
  • The money you spend basically all goes into making the watch, not marketing or executive payrolls or a million other things that aren't the watch itself - Nah mate, the 70% markup goes directly into the fat pockets of TD's and factory owners.
  • You don’t have to worry about scratching/breaking/losing it nearly as much as you would the real thing - You don't have to worry about scratching the real deal either, otherwise you shouldn't speculate in getting a gen.
  • You can just enjoy it instead of doing what I've always done which is sell a nice watch because it gives me anxiety to have something so valuable sitting in a drawer - Okay
  • The replica watch community is the least judgmental, least watch snobbery group I've found in the watch world - Honor among thieves
  • It’s about a genuine love for these objects, not about buying things to put in a safe - Nah, it's about putting a cool brand-name on your wrist because you can't/won't afford the gen watch.
  • It's a fun hobby, without costing an arm and a leg - I think you will find a lot of people on here that have spent more than 5 figures (some even 6) on replica watches. :) A $400-600 'fake watch' is hardly inexpensive - all things considered.
  • Using Rolex as an example, $2,500 gets you the most basic entry level thing out there OR it can get you 5 of the best replicas of the best models - I'd love to buy a $2,500 Rolex, could you let me know your AD's number? :)
So what are your pros? I'd love to hear

My pro is: you get to try a bunch of different watches without taking a big hit on resale.
2nd: You get to fool other people incl yourself.

Am I not just a joyful ray of light today, lol.

Reactions: sn95

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
I should have chosen my words better. How about, a much higher percentage of what you spend goes into making the object, as opposed to a new Submariner for $7,500 - how much of that is the actual manufacturing? Can’t imagine it’s more than $1,000
This we can agree on! To me the best pro you listed would be enjoying the hobby without breaking the bank.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Pros of owning a replica watch .....

They look cool
us poor guys can afford them

cheaper to maintain than the real ones

you can tell what time it is , just by looking at them

oh oh oh , the best part ....you might join a replica watch community like RWI and meet some really cool people !!!!

alfonzo

25/7/19
Pro: I get to learn how to service and build the clone movements, some are 95% gen compatible and I have no fear of messing up a $2000 movement. The knowledge in invaluable. Now I can service my Gens.

Reactions: ryguy6333

srhoque

28/11/18
Not sure if you classify super frankens as reps also...For me the biggest pro is getting Rolex functionality without paying ridiculous Rolex premium and anxiety over waitlists. I have a franken with gen everything except case and bracelet still at less than half the price of the gen Rolex. I have no worries about scratching/marks and I can easily replace case or bracelet if/when I want. Do I still consider this as a Rolex...heck yes. We can argue all we want, but what matters is my perspective and what keeps me happy :D:D

alfonzo

25/7/19
Not sure if you classify super frankens as reps also...For me the biggest pro is getting Rolex functionality without paying ridiculous Rolex premium and anxiety over waitlists. I have a franken with gen everything except case and bracelet still at less than half the price of the gen Rolex. I have no worries about scratching/marks and I can easily replace case or bracelet if/when I want. Do I still consider this as a Rolex...heck yes. We can argue all we want, but what matters is my perspective and what keeps me happy :D:D

+1

jackbrabham

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
6/10/18
On the monetary side:
1) You don't have $20k stuck in a (not always) depreciating asset and can put it towards more productive causes.
2) I've not seen it happen yet but I've heard that the resale value of luxury goods takes a major hit in a recession or other catastrophic economic downturn. The value of luxury pieces may never recover to previous highs, as the value of a particular model may lie in the fashion of the time, which is fleeting. I'm sure we will find out soon. This has a relatively small effect on rep value.

Reactions: thegolfman

wildrabbit

Renowned Member
Supporter
11/8/18
From a value proposition- most watches, with the exception of Rolex, will lose 50-70 percent of their retail value. Reps allow you to take your horological hobby to a level without the high investment cost.

Interestingly enough, most of the people who take Reps seriously can spot differences in Gens, Reps and are more apt to pay attention to details.

Reactions: ryguy6333