No announcement yet.

PROS of owning a replica watch...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro: I get to learn how to service and build the clone movements, some are 95% gen compatible and I have no fear of messing up a $2000 movement. The knowledge in invaluable. Now I can service my Gens.

Comment

Not sure if you classify super frankens as reps also...For me the biggest pro is getting Rolex functionality without paying ridiculous Rolex premium and anxiety over waitlists. I have a franken with gen everything except case and bracelet still at less than half the price of the gen Rolex. I have no worries about scratching/marks and I can easily replace case or bracelet if/when I want. Do I still consider this as a Rolex...heck yes. We can argue all we want, but what matters is my perspective and what keeps me happy

Comment

Originally posted by srhoque View Post
        Not sure if you classify super frankens as reps also...For me the biggest pro is getting Rolex functionality without paying ridiculous Rolex premium and anxiety over waitlists. I have a franken with gen everything except case and bracelet still at less than half the price of the gen Rolex. I have no worries about scratching/marks and I can easily replace case or bracelet if/when I want. Do I still consider this as a Rolex...heck yes. We can argue all we want, but what matters is my perspective and what keeps me happy
        +1

Comment

On the monetary side:
          1) You don't have $20k stuck in a (not always) depreciating asset and can put it towards more productive causes.
          2) I've not seen it happen yet but I've heard that the resale value of luxury goods takes a major hit in a recession or other catastrophic economic downturn. The value of luxury pieces may never recover to previous highs, as the value of a particular model may lie in the fashion of the time, which is fleeting. I'm sure we will find out soon. This has a relatively small effect on rep value.

Comment

From a value proposition- most watches, with the exception of Rolex, will lose 50-70 percent of their retail value. Reps allow you to take your horological hobby to a level without the high investment cost.

Interestingly enough, most of the people who take Reps seriously can spot differences in Gens, Reps and are more apt to pay attention to details.

Comment

For a pros is that it makes me feel cool to know I wearing a watch that even though its a rep, still represents a lot

guys don’t hate for this, a great rep watch on the street will never hurt the brand name of the company because let’s say you have a super rep and someone see’s the watch they will never know is rep but they will go through their day inspired by a watch that wasn’t a gen and that gets them into the watch community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use reps when planning to get drunk as f and if things go like in the Hangover movie (which usually does) don’t have to worry about loosing my 114060, DJ etc...

Comment

Originally posted by Raddave View Post
                  Pros of owning a replica watch .....

They look cool
                  us poor guys can afford them

cheaper to maintain than the real ones

you can tell what time it is , just by looking at them

oh oh oh , the best part ....you might join a replica watch community like RWI and meet some really cool people !!!!
                  You sound like my previous boss, currently client. Guesstimate his current net worth is $30M, maybe $40 before this drop (not counting value of his business), but he always considers himself poor.

Another another use of reps is the "decoy" value. In a hypothetical burglary situation, a winder full of nice reps placed strategically .....

Comment

PRO: You can be more than happy than acquiring a gen, knowing that you have the same looks and functionality in a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very LOW PRICE.

Well that just me anyway .

Comment

Originally posted by WATCH HACKER View Post
                      PRO: You can be more than happy than acquiring a gen, knowing that you have the same looks and functionality in a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very LOW PRICE.

Well that just me anyway .
                      You missed 2 more "very"s. I did an actual comparison of cost and it came out to be exactly 47.5 "very" s needed.

Comment

I’m really clumsy and incredibly absent-minded, so it’s far less stressful wearing a rep when I’m bashing it against walls or frying food, spraying paint or cleaning the toilet without taking it off first...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nivka View Post
                          Pro: giving young children an opportunity to gain vocational experience and skills
                          oh boy, lmao

Gen: G Shocks GW9400 (Red, Yellow), GW5000 (Black), GW6900 (Black w Combi), DW5600MW-7 (White), GLX5600A-2 (Blue), Seiko Spring Drive MarineMaster SBDB009, Timex IronMan, Daniel Wellington

Rep: Tudor Sub 7928

WTB: YG Gen & Rep Rolex Day-Date with Champagne dial with baton indices, Something skeletonized Rep or Gen, Rep Omega Seamaster Diver 300m, Gen Marathon General Purpose Quartz WW194015BK

Comment

Reps are becoming better and better everyday, gen prices grown a lot and i would prefer to travel with a nice rep instead of taking risk with a gen.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Lovegmt73; 01-04-20, 13:17.

Comment

Cheap $ that gets you close enough to the real thing.
                              the con of the reps is these damn version numbers and incremental improvement game the factories are trying to get us to play. To which is say, sorry this is an iPhone, not looking to upgrade every year.

Comment

Originally posted by srhoque View Post

You missed 2 more "very"s. I did an actual comparison of cost and it came out to be exactly 47.5 "very" s needed.
                                Hahaha can't believe you said that

Comment

Working...
                                X