• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The experience of art vs The prestige of owning it

velinn

Horology Curious
28/3/20
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I’m new here and this is my first post. I thought I would tell the story about how I ended up here and how it’s changed the way I see watches and indeed even myself.

About a year ago I happened across one of the most beautiful watch designs I’ve ever seen: the 2018 Omega Seamaster 300m. The shininess of the ceramic, the laser engraved waves, the raised markers, the lume, and that beautiful 8800 movement.. all of it just spoke to me, called to me. I’ve spent hours on YouTube watching videos enamored with this watch. Naturally I started saving money for this right away. I’m not super well off financially, but I could save up 5 grand I told myself.

Soon I started showing photos of this watch to others and to my horror.. no one gave a shit. I explained what they’re seeing, the craftsmanship of the co-axiel movement, the perfection of the laser etched ceramic. In short, I demanded they appreciate this watch the way I did. But they didn’t. And the inevitable question was always asked: what’s it cost? To which I reply, gloating a bit, “Oh, that’s a 5 thousand dollar watch.” And the response was near universally something along the lines of: what, are you fucking stupid?

This experience made me realize two things:

1. What I appreciate about this watch is, for me, art. Pure and simple. But wanting to own it, wanting to pay an absurd amount of money for it, is not about the art, it’s about the perception of others. How I wanted them to see me, and how I wanted my ability to carry around a piece of art on my wrist to make me “something more” than I would be without it. It was a rude awakening when none of this actually happened.

2. Appreciating art is about the way it makes you feel every single time you experience it. This experience is the goal of art, not the money, not the so-called prestige. If you absolutely love the Mona Lisa, you do not need to own it to experience it. You do not need to drop millions of dollars to prove that you’re a da Vinci aficionado. No, if the experience of the Mona Lisa moves you, then it will move you whether you visit the original, or have a print on your wall in a nice frame.

And that brings me here. I’ve been lurking around these forums for a few weeks learning all the acronyms and researching movements and best practices and I find that the process of buying a rep is nearly as entertaining as actually having one. I’m unsure whether now is the best time to order one due to all this corona virus stuff, but I am so excited to actually order one.

Finally; even if a rep is the equivalent of a print in a nice frame it has no effect on the experience of art that moves me right on my wrist. And now with a rep I will experience it the right way.. for me, and for no one else but me.

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
giphy.gif

Reactions: Katarsis

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Nice story velinn, it made me chuckle. Welcome, and enjoy your rep adventures.

velinn

Horology Curious
28/3/20
Heh well, surely you all must know what it's like to be in the grip of an obsession and then to stop and look at how ridiculous you're being. I guess that's mostly what I was meaning to convey. That when you pin so much on a object it becomes absurd. Some people call reps toy watches and sure, probably they are, but it's no different from putting a print of Starry Night or whatever on your wall that cost $10.

Last edited:

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
Mate, just buy the rep watch, it isn’t a matter of existential angst. Buy it, like it, keep. Don’t like it, sell it or put it in a drawer, you’ll spend $400 on other dumb things in your life.

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
Heh well, surely you all must know what it's like to be in the grip of an obsession and then to stop and look at how ridiculous you're being. I guess that's mostly what I was meaning to convey. That when you pin so much on a object it becomes absurd. Some people call reps toy watches and sure, probably they are, but it's no different from putting a print of Starry Night or whatever on your wall that cost $10.

1. Just yesterday my female friend asked me: why do you like watches so much? Without hesitating for a moment I said: cause I like pretty things! And that's it. I love my gen Seamaster and my moonwatch, I love the gen 114060 and the franken 116610. I often find myself staring at my watch and appreciating the design.
2. And to your story: "oh, it's a 5k watch.. are you nuts?!" some of my friends react this way, too. I react the same way when they tell me about the trip to the Maldives, a new car, new TV set etc. You like what you like;)

velinn

Horology Curious
28/3/20
I often find myself staring at my watch and appreciating the design.

That's exactly it. The design is art, and art exists to be experienced. Some may just see them as expensive toys and that's cool. Some of the replies have been flippant and that's also cool. Everyone appreciates things in different ways. But for me, looking at a watch, or it's movement, can be mesmerizing.. and I began to realize the "luxury" part of it really has a lot more to do with other people than it has to do with me, and that I can appreciate the design and art of a rep every bit as much as the gen. A rep removes the whole dynamic of "look at my $5k watch" that just leads into a nasty way of thinking (for me, not everyone falls into this of course). I mean it's a rep, there is nothing to boast about. So now it just becomes this little thing that I enjoy simply for the art of it and not some made up sense of prestige because I spent a load of money on something.

Probably I'm just overthinking it, but whatever. The whole train of thought is how I found this place so it's served that purpose if nothing else.

micksmith1987

Renowned Member
1/9/18
Probably I'm just overthinking it, but whatever. The whole train of thought is how I found this place so it's served that purpose if nothing else.

I gave that advice before but: get the rep, see how much you like it - and if you really fall in love - then buy a gen (if you can afford, which with the 300m I am sure you can;)

Reactions: velinn

xray7

Renowned Member
Patron
1/4/18
Old Dart
I gave that advice before but: get the rep, see how much you like it - and if you really fall in love - then buy a gen (if you can afford, which with the 300m I am sure you can;)

A rep is a great test drive.

Foflex

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
26/3/20
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I’m new here and this is my first post. I thought I would tell the story about how I ended up here and how it’s changed the way I see watches and indeed even myself.

About a year ago I happened across one of the most beautiful watch designs I’ve ever seen: the 2018 Omega Seamaster 300m. The shininess of the ceramic, the laser engraved waves, the raised markers, the lume, and that beautiful 8800 movement.. all of it just spoke to me, called to me. I’ve spent hours on YouTube watching videos enamored with this watch. Naturally I started saving money for this right away. I’m not super well off financially, but I could save up 5 grand I told myself.

Soon I started showing photos of this watch to others and to my horror.. no one gave a shit. I explained what they’re seeing, the craftsmanship of the co-axiel movement, the perfection of the laser etched ceramic. In short, I demanded they appreciate this watch the way I did. But they didn’t. And the inevitable question was always asked: what’s it cost? To which I reply, gloating a bit, “Oh, that’s a 5 thousand dollar watch.” And the response was near universally something along the lines of: what, are you fucking stupid?

This experience made me realize two things:

1. What I appreciate about this watch is, for me, art. Pure and simple. But wanting to own it, wanting to pay an absurd amount of money for it, is not about the art, it’s about the perception of others. How I wanted them to see me, and how I wanted my ability to carry around a piece of art on my wrist to make me “something more” than I would be without it. It was a rude awakening when none of this actually happened.

2. Appreciating art is about the way it makes you feel every single time you experience it. This experience is the goal of art, not the money, not the so-called prestige. If you absolutely love the Mona Lisa, you do not need to own it to experience it. You do not need to drop millions of dollars to prove that you’re a da Vinci aficionado. No, if the experience of the Mona Lisa moves you, then it will move you whether you visit the original, or have a print on your wall in a nice frame.

And that brings me here. I’ve been lurking around these forums for a few weeks learning all the acronyms and researching movements and best practices and I find that the process of buying a rep is nearly as entertaining as actually having one. I’m unsure whether now is the best time to order one due to all this corona virus stuff, but I am so excited to actually order one.

Finally; even if a rep is the equivalent of a print in a nice frame it has no effect on the experience of art that moves me right on my wrist. And now with a rep I will experience it the right way.. for me, and for no one else but me.

I kinda get what you mean. The entry into the world of luxury watches was with a wedding gift from my parents'-in-law, with a Omega Deville. After that I got consumed by it, and ended up with a few gen rolex and what not. But I realized that if the Reps are close enough, and I can appreciate the beauty of it, I'm okay with the reps, and I quite enjoy how much it enables me to try on watches that I could only dream about. It's not the real thing, but it's close enough to enjoy it.

Reactions: velinn

Hoosier Watch Guy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/20
Interesting point of view. Thanks for sharing.

I wore the same watch everyday for 10 years. It was a quality Seiko and I enjoyed it. it was nice enough for not having any other appreciation.
I received my first Swiss watch as wedding present from my best friend. It was what started this sickness. Some days I curse him, lol

They are beautiful little machines. Works of art. Each a little different. Timeless in an age of disposable electronics.

Reactions: micksmith1987