• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Question About Post-Whoring (Not a rant, an inquiry)

6stackboost

You're Saying I Can Sell?
MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/19
Hi all,
I have been a member of RWI for sometime now. As cliche as it goes, "Long time lurker, first time posting" (not first but I don't post a lot).

I have a rep watch I would like to sell, but I realized that I need to have posted at least 25 posts for me to qualify to sell.

I do totally appreciate all these rules in place to protect our community from the scammers, and I have every intention to follow the rules as much as I can.

I do have a question about the "Post-Whoring" which I also understand is in place to protect our members from scammers abusing the requirements for sales.

As I have stated, I don't really post a lot on the forums because

1. You guys are so awesome that when I have a question, most answers can be found after a little bit of digging.
2. You guys are so expert in the questions other members have, that I feel intimidated to join in on the conversation (and just learn from the masters)
3. I'm not really an outspoken person in general, so I'm not good at small talking or posting "eye-candy" pictures.

So now, I'm trying to work towards that posts requirement without being a "post-whore" as much as I can.

Now, I know that this isn't the supreme court, and the mods have all the authority, and this is not your full-time job, so if I cross the gray line of "working towards requirement vs post-whoring" I will have to be penalized with no chance to defend myself.

I just want to stay within the boundaries of allowed posting quota.

I would appreciate what kinds of actions I can take to make sure I'm staying within the boundaries?

Again, I like this community, and it has helped me out a lot. I appreciate all the rules in place for our members which I believe is keeping this community so clean. So thank you.

josh676

4/8/14
Hobart Tasmania
If you post 'what a great rep' on 25 threads, that's probably post whoring, if you take a few weeks to read, listen and learn, and have inputs and relevant questions - you'll be fine.

6stackboost

MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/19
Thanks for your input. I am trying my best to actually make meaningful posts to let them know I'm not post-whoring. Thanks.

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
If it is seen as posting simply to increase your post count so you can sell something, that usually does not work out too well.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It's always going to be a problem if someone who previously hasn't been active suddenly becomes active, making a number of (usually short) replies to threads in a short space of time, and then - bingo - puts something up for sale. So that'll be hard to get around, and is probably best avoided by taking your time to increase your presence on the forum, over the course of a number of days. It really also helps everyone to get accustomed to a new member too.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Hi all,
I have been a member of RWI for sometime now. As cliche as it goes, "Long time lurker, first time posting" (not first but I don't post a lot).

I have a rep watch I would like to sell, but I realized that I need to have posted at least 25 posts for me to qualify to sell.

I do totally appreciate all these rules in place to protect our community from the scammers, and I have every intention to follow the rules as much as I can.

I do have a question about the "Post-Whoring" which I also understand is in place to protect our members from scammers abusing the requirements for sales.

1. You guys are so awesome that when I have a question, most answers can be found after a little bit of digging.
2. You guys are so expert in the questions other members have, that I feel intimidated to join in on the conversation (and just learn from the masters)
3. I'm not really an outspoken person in general, so I'm not good at small talking or posting "eye-candy" pictures.

So now, I'm trying to work towards that posts requirement without being a "post-whore" as much as I can.

Now, I know that this isn't the supreme court, and the mods have all the authority, and this is not your full-time job, so if I cross the gray line of "working towards requirement vs post-whoring" I will have to be penalized with no chance to defend myself.

I would appreciate what kinds of actions I can take to make sure I'm staying within the boundaries?

Again, I like this community, and it has helped me out a lot. I appreciate all the rules in place for our members which I believe is keeping this community so clean. So thank you.

I'm 3 pages into the activity feed and all I see are ( fairly uninteresting) threads created by you.

You are post whoring - it's official.

Jxtanner

18/9/18
^ take it from someone that was in your position, I tried to make a sale after just reaching the 25 post minimum and I got my post count reset. Just try to enjoy the forum and learn a little about the great hobby. I now am holding onto my collection and not trying to sell; I even want to mod my watches so it’ll make me want to keep them. Respect the rules, the mods don’t take kindly to rule breakers and think about becoming a supporter.

Reactions: mclarendude

6stackboost

MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/19
It's always going to be a problem if someone who previously hasn't been active suddenly becomes active, making a number of (usually short) replies to threads in a short space of time, and then - bingo - puts something up for sale. So that'll be hard to get around, and is probably best avoided by taking your time to increase your presence on the forum, over the course of a number of days. It really also helps everyone to get accustomed to a new member too.

Thanks for that reply. I will keep that in mind.

I'm 3 pages into the activity feed and all I see are ( fairly uninteresting) threads created by you.

You are post whoring - it's official.

Do you mean that I'm already doing that, or that's the case that you would redeem it to be? The consensus for the last few replies have been that I can't look like I'm not even trying, but if my somewhat long posts have not seemed that way, I can look into it. Anyways, thanks for your input.

^ take it from someone that was in your position, I tried to make a sale after just reaching the 25 post minimum and I got my post count reset. Just try to enjoy the forum and learn a little about the great hobby. I now am holding onto my collection and not trying to sell; I even want to mod my watches so it’ll make me want to keep them. Respect the rules, the mods don’t take kindly to rule breakers and think about becoming a supporter.

Yeah, I do enjoy my watches, and I do intend on keeping on with the hobby. I have multiple reps, and there's just one I want to get rid of, as it hasn't been seing a lot of wrist time. It has been a year since I joined, but like I mentioned, I have been more of a reader than a writer. Didn't really feel like I needed to be noticed by people to being a part of the community. I enjoy reading up on what people post, but I just am not a poster. But I will make some effort to be a little more noticeable now, I guess. Thanks for your input as well.

Last edited:

alfonzo

25/7/19
Your motivation provides the answer to your question. You want to sell a watch. You need to have post count. You start thread to ask "what is a post whore" well the thread informs the answer. This is a post whoring exercise. If your motivation was to inform the user base, or engage in a watch discussion or start a build thread it would not be post whoring. But that is not your motivation. I agree with the above statement that you should just become a member and problem solved.

Reactions: p0pperini

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Thanks for that reply. I will keep that in mind.

Do you mean that I'm already doing that, or that's the case that you would redeem it to be? The consensus for the last few replies have been that I can't look like I'm not even trying, but if my somewhat long posts have not seemed that way, I can look into it. Anyways, thanks for your input.

Yeah, I do enjoy my watches, and I do intend on keeping on with the hobby. I have multiple reps, and there's just one I want to get rid of, as it hasn't been seing a lot of wrist time. It has been a year since I joined, but like I mentioned, I have been more of a reader than a writer. Didn't really feel like I needed to be noticed by people to being a part of the community. I enjoy reading up on what people post, but I just am not a poster. But I will make some effort to be a little more noticeable now, I guess. Thanks for your input as well.

You're artificially boosting your post count in order to sell a watch - you admitted it.

Paulbsiny

Known Member
Certified
28/2/20
Not to scare you from posting but I made a fairly innocent question and got angry replies and pm’s not to do that again. These people are serious here.

6stackboost

MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/19
You're artificially boosting your post count in order to sell a watch - you admitted it.

Tripdog,

I'm not trying to argue here, just explain myself. As I have mentioned, I have been a member and a reader of the forum for the past year. I actually log in to the forum quite often for my standards. May be twice a week or so. I realize that I'm not a poster, because I didn't really need to feel the need to do so.

When I had questions, someone else had already asked the question, and one of you awesome experts had already answered it, too. I decided not to ask my "general" question, because that was also looked down upon in this community. I did my homework, and read up on what I needed answers to. When I couldn't find the answers to my questions, I did at least a 20 page explore into my search results to get it answered before asking my question on the forum, hence, the lower amount of posts in the past.

You're right. I am now starting to post, because I do feel the need to being noticed around here. Not because of an ill-intention, but because I want to take advantage of what this awesome forum has to offer, which I am also a part of (barely, but proudly.). But that is the motivation of doing so, not just trying to ABUSE the forum.

This is the forum I come to when I have watch itch, and I do enjoy being a part of this community, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

But today, I just asked two questions and posted one picture (which is my first in the forum), to become more noticed in the community. The two question, of which, were actual questions that I needed answered. If it looks so bad, I'll space out my questions to 1 a day, I guess.

Last edited:

Bill1584

Looking Around
28/1/19
Spring, Texas
6stackboost,

Why not back off trying to sell something here, and try something local to you? The rep you have can likely be sold locally as such, without too much hubbub.

When I read carefully here, there is an ebb and flow of information here which I find enriching. Nice, intelligent people exchanging ideas, knowledge, humor and culture. And yes, watches... It is OK to just 'lurk'. I don't post either, and for the same reasons as you. In general, I have nothing of substance to add. Then again, I won't ever want or need to sell something here.

Best of luck to you.

Cicero

RWI Legal Advisor
Global Moderator
Certified
12/3/15
Tripdog,

I'm not trying to argue here, just explain myself. As I have mentioned, I have been a member and a reader of the forum for the past year. I actually log in to the forum quite often for my standards. May be twice a week or so. I realize that I'm not a poster, because I didn't really need to feel the need to do so.

When I had questions, someone else had already asked the question, and one of you awesome experts had already answered it, too. I decided not to ask my "general" question, because that was also looked down upon in this community. I did my homework, and read up on what I needed answers to. When I couldn't find the answers to my questions, I did at least a 20 page explore into my search results to get it answered before asking my question on the forum, hence, the lower amount of posts in the past.

You're right. I am now starting to post, because I do feel the need to being noticed around here. Not because of an ill-intention, but because I want to take advantage of what this awesome forum has to offer, which I am also a part of (barely, but proudly.). But that is the motivation of doing so, not just trying to ABUSE the forum.

This is the forum I come to when I have watch itch, and I do enjoy being a part of this community, and I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

But today, I just asked two questions and posted one picture (which is my first in the forum), to become more noticed in the community. The two question, of which, were actual questions that I needed answered. If it looks so bad, I'll space out my questions to 1 a day, I guess.

That all sounds marvelous. However, if you try to sell any watch on this forum in the next 60 days it will get nuked.

Reactions: tripdog

6stackboost

MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/19
Just realized I just have to pay $35 for the supporter membership.
Okay. Enough with the toxicity. Holy shit. I was just asking a question, and the motivation of posting was for a sale, not an end goal out of this forum. I'm staying, but holy shit some people here are toxic. As much as I love some people here, I see some of these people are just wanna be American Popo Authoritative Figure. Literally just asked a question out of innocent heart and the shit I have to endure.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Don’t you see how it looks to supporters and patrons when someone would rather artificially boost their post count than contribute a little money to help the forum continue to operate?

Does the amount you’ve learned from your time here not seem worth $35?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Hi all,

Great post!

(that was post whoring)

6stackboost

MULTI ACCOUNT
17/3/19
Popperini,
No, I get that, but the rules section, after reading up on it made it seem like it was in place to keep the scammers out, not bashing on the freeloaders.
Im happy to contribute $35 for the appreciation kf information I got from here.
Just the discrepancy between those two concepts and the toxicity of trip dog toward my genuine question tilted me a bit.
Im just waiting for the instructions on how to subscribe to the forum.
Don’t get me wrong. I get how you would feel if you paid for supporting the community and a freeloader trying to take advantage of that.
I just wasn’t aware of that’s why you guys put the rule in place against post-whoring, not just for the protection of the members. I suggest you take a look at the posts of the rule sections pertaining to the post-whoring, and you’ll get where I’m coming from.
Either way, I am appreciative of the forum and its supporters and managers. I’ll happily contribute financially as well. Just not appreciating the hostility from something that wasn’t made clear of in all the rule section. (I was going to happily donate some of my sales too after the transaction, as per the suggestion in the rule section)