• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone has issues with US DHL lately?

ChinoWolf

Certified
29/10/17
USA
I've ordered 2 watches from a non TD in China (because it's cheaper than TD) and for the very first time, the tracking information show "please contact DHL". What's interesting to me is the package has already been cleared in NYC and is stuck in Reagan airport in DC (my city).

Here's the tracking:

2020-03-24 16:37
WASHINGTON - RONALD REAGAN NATIONAL, DC - USA, Please contact DHL 2020-03-24 10:00
WASHINGTON - RONALD REAGAN NATIONAL, DC - USA, Arrived at Delivery Facility in WASHINGTON - RONALD REAGAN NATIONAL - USA 2020-03-24 03:07
NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA, Departed Facility in NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY - USA 2020-03-24 03:03
NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA, Processed at NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY - USA 2020-03-23 17:46
NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA, Clearance processing complete at NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY - USA 2020-03-23 05:49
NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA, Shipment on hold 2020-03-23 02:35
NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA, Arrived at Sort Facility NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY - USA 2020-03-22 20:33
HONG KONG - HONG KONG, Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG 2020-03-22 19:15
HONG KONG - HONG KONG, Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG 2020-03-22 16:12
NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA, Customs status updated 2020-03-22 00:10
HONG KONG - HONG KONG, Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG 2020-03-21 23:18
HONG KONG - HONG KONG, Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG 2020-03-21 19:07
HONG KONG - HONG KONG, Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG 2020-03-21 13:41
HONG KONG - HONG KONG, Shipment picked up

I called today and the DHL agent told me it's under custom inspection by CBP. I've had many successful delivery with DHL and this is the 1st time I've seen anything like this. Anyone experienced this lately? I wonder if this has anything to do with the Corona virus concern.

Last edited:

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
It’s very possible that your package was randomly picked up by custom. I don’t think it was caused by the coronavirus.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

ChinoWolf

Certified
29/10/17
USA
It’s very possible that your package was randomly picked up by custom. I don’t think it was caused by the coronavirus.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

By the custom in Washington D.C.? I guess at this point it's probably seized but kinda strange to me that custom still enforce random selection after item being cleared at the port of entry?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
It's been seized - that's why they want you to contact DHL.

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
There is something definitely wrong with your package. I live in the Northeast (Close to Boston). Both DHL and FedEx (because of volume) have their own dedicated customs process. Both FedEx and DHL send pre-clearance paperwork electronically as soon as package leaves HK and hence they clear customs very quickly (I have over 20 Reps that followed this process).

However, customs reserve the right to individually check packages. If they seize or retain package, they are mandated to send you a letter. I have never seen/heard anything about "Please call DHL".

If you are lucky, the package might get released ;)In my experience, FedEx is has been the best so far. I have heard DHL is strict but my experience has been good. EMS is the worst (in my experience). I have used them twice and once the package was opened by customs (It had 2 Daytonas and bracelets, pretty expensive!!). After 2/3 weeks, Andrew was able to get it released. I couldn't believe they let that go (there was a sticker around the Daytona saying inspected by customs :D:D).

rek00001

24/4/13
Remember some time ago when DHL trucks out for delivery were recalled by the dispatcher to not deliver because the package was a rep?

What were the details about that?

ChinoWolf

Certified
29/10/17
USA
There is something definitely wrong with your package. I live in the Northeast (Close to Boston). Both DHL and FedEx (because of volume) have their own dedicated customs process. Both FedEx and DHL send pre-clearance paperwork electronically as soon as package leaves HK and hence they clear customs very quickly (I have over 20 Reps that followed this process).

However, customs reserve the right to individually check packages. If they seize or retain package, they are mandated to send you a letter. I have never seen/heard anything about "Please call DHL".

If you are lucky, the package might get released ;)In my experience, FedEx is has been the best so far. I have heard DHL is strict but my experience has been good. EMS is the worst (in my experience). I have used them twice and once the package was opened by customs (It had 2 Daytonas and bracelets, pretty expensive!!). After 2/3 weeks, Andrew was able to get it released. I couldn't believe they let that go (there was a sticker around the Daytona saying inspected by customs :D:D).

Thanks for the input mate - it's incredible that the custom looked at your Daytonas and let them go. I have Jtime ship the package for me (I am a friend of Li but I didn't buy from him) I imagine he uses the same DHL broker for all shipments to USA. He said overall the inspection rate remains low but it's getting higher recently. He's also pretty sure that I won't be able to get the watches back....sigh

I have a PPF5711, a Daytona and 2 sets of aftermarket 3D Daytona hands in that package, I guess $1000+ just flush down the toilet.

ChinoWolf

Certified
29/10/17
USA
Remember some time ago when DHL trucks out for delivery were recalled by the dispatcher to not deliver because the package was a rep?

What were the details about that?

Li from Jtime told me that almost all DHL seizure he experienced happened right before the shipment is putting on delivery vehicle, at warehouses in local city (not port of entry). Must have something to do with the fact that DHL is also custom and they can inspect at any stage.