• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica wearing habits

outerbolt

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/8/19
Hong Kong
Seriously? Can you recommend anyone?

There are vendors in china that sell what they call a sterile dial. I see them on Taobao all the time for rolex and omega, they should have other brands as well. Taobao is really tricky to operate if you don't know Chinese, but it's workable with chrome and the translate function.

You could also check with any of the Chinese based TD on here, but often they don't want to source parts.

Reactions: Max111

robmack

22/2/20
I still can’t come to realize WHY people are so ashamed by reps.
This question got me thinking. Fakes were pretty lame back in the day when manufacturers would duplicate the look of a Rolex, Cartier or other high end watch but equip it with a quartz movement. It was dead easy for even the casual observer to spot such a fake. It was at a time when sporting luxury brand clothes and goods was a mark of reaching a certain strata in society. To be discovered wearing a fake was to have the person think lowly of you because you were trying to aspire to that social strata but not meeting the entry requirements. I believe the actions the large brands, like Rolex and Cartier, took around the same time to publicly demonstrate that they would not tolerate counterfeit products of theirs has left an indelible legacy. And there was the ad campaign launched in 2009 by the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie (FHH) called "Fake Watches are for Fake people" aimed at shaming people who contemplated buying and wearing a fake watch versus its genuine equivalent.

I believe that people today don't judge you on you social strata and success based on the watch you wear. I wear a gen Rolex Date Just everywhere, it's my daily beater. I have only ever had two people comment on my watch at work. One was a colleague who is a watch collector and the other was a sales rep. Otherwise no one notices and no one asks questions. My Date Just could have been a fake but only the watch collector would have looked close enough to find out. If this disinterest is systemic, then the reaction one would have gotten years ago would be much more moderate these days I believe.

The fear of being caught out by someone and enduring the shame and embarrassment that might result from the discovery probably drives the attitude we see today. With the quality of rep watches being produced today, the possibility of being caught out is extremely low however, if discovered, then the impact to ones ego and social status would only be moderate.

Last edited:
Reactions: ohirasa

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
When I first discovered that as a American I can carry a concealed gun, the issue was very similar to the one you are bringing up. Will anybody ever know? What if they suspect it? How careful do I have to be?
Turns out, nobody but those who are carrying a gun themselves will know, suspect, nor do they care.

Same with watches. The overwhelming majority of folks have no clue about watches. Heck, few gen Xers even wear a watch anymore unless it has an apple logo on it. A few folks recognize a Rolex, fewer a Cartier, but show a skilled $100K-per-year professional a Calatrava and have them tell you what it's worth, and you'll get 99 blanks out of 100.

Personally, I like to wear watches that I can pull off. I'm an old guy, smack middle class, have a nice home, a few nice cars, so it's totally believable that I could be wearing a $15K watch. Except, I wouldn't spend $15K on a watch unless I had millions in the bank. But I couldn't pull off a diamond-crusted 18K President, because I'm not a rapper, and I'm not pulling up in a Lamborghini. On the same token, I'd have a hard time believing that the waiter at the local burger joint would wear a $10K watch. But the manager might, perhaps, not knowing his personal circumstances.

What's important to me is that my watches look authentic to 99% of the people. If I can get that for 10% of the price, or less, I'm a happy camper.

Max111

15/3/19
What's important to me is that my watches look authentic to 99% of the people. If I can get that for 10% of the price, or less, I'm a happy camper.

Thank you for very good post Hesekiel. Based on what I read on the forum there are three groups of people. People who just really enamored by watches, people who are trying to impress other people and the third group would combine both.

There is nothing wrong with either group and there is no judgment. The price of good watches these day seem astronomical. Rolex at 10k plus. Patek at 30+.

I am also typical NY middle class and I love watches. When I was a kid 6-7 years old I would stand by the watchmaker’s window and admire the watches. In fact, when I came to the U.S. as an 18 years old. I was working odd jobs making 4.25 per hour. I remember I saved few hundred bucks and I saw Tissot watch at the store window and I fell in love with it. I would walk 30 blocks to see it almost every day. I understood this is not a necessity, but I loved it so much that I figured you know what, I am going to buy it. It would make me happy and it is too exhausting to walk 30 blocks to see it. It was worth it. It made me happy. As I graduated my tastes evolved and I had more money and I was single I would buy watches that I liked that are reasonable. Omega SMP and Planet Ocean, Copeland and Copeland S. Oris Aquis plus respectable vintages. As I got married my priorities changed. Core me didn’t change still the same guy who loves watches. I love Panerai PAM 127. It is a rare and very sought after watch but to pay 15-20k is not reasonable. I am between rock and hard place. So for me a fake was a good compromise. I just bought one and keep it. I am embarrassed to wear it outside but love to look at it at home.

Reactions: outerbolt

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Also keep in mind that for a man, the watch is usually the only piece of jewelry they wear. Apple's Steve Jobs wore the same black T-shirt and jeans outfit every day. As I hear, Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg sticks to the same philosophy. Virgin's Sir Richard Branson wears the same white shirts and blue jeans almost daily. All of these are multi-billionaires that can buy whatever they want. If you meet a person with t-shirt or jeans and he looks well kempt, or you are such a person, the watch you are wearing is the primary accessory that people can evaluate to form an opinion about you, so that has to be chosen wisely.

The watches I wanted to wear in my 20s when I wanted to get laid vs. the watches I wear now are two different things. I'm now moving in circles where I sometimes hang out with independently wealthy people, and they do wear nice watches, and I have no doubt that they are real, as I've been to their multi-million dollar home, seen their high end cars, and been a guest on their 120-foot yacht. So if their watch wasn't genuine, I wouldn't suspect it, not in a million years, but it's still possible, if they are smart and put the 90% they are saving to better work and enjoy the same feeling with a 10% investment.

In the classic car world it's the same. People don't drive $20M Ferraris anymore, and rarely will you see a $1,1M Mercedes Gullwing or a $450K Porsche 356 Speedster in traffic. So unless you are in the wild where nobody knows you, picking a REP that you as a watch enthusiast *could* have afforded used is a smart move. At my age now, if I'm being complimented on one of my Panerais (my favorite watch brand), I often tell people that it's a heirloom from my late dad. That's a great line, that can really throw people off track as none of them knew my dad. Funny enough, I inherited my dad's Rolex Datejust with lots of patina that he, being middle class, bought new in the 1970s. I held on to it for many years, but eventually decided that there's no merit in having it in the drawer and sold it.

Last edited:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
Wear it like its real and don't care about what other people think - because they don't care, and even if they did its their problem not yours.

Also, FUCK Richard Brandson. Dick. And Zuckerberg for that matter.

CaptainSplash

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/19
I work with a white shoe attorney’s. These guys know. While I am not proficient at identifying replica from gen. I can identify rep. I will not know why but there is something about gen that stands out. Although I have to say some of the Rolex reps are almost perfect. Reps got to scary level and for some watches replicate the movement even.
@Max111 so do I. Never been called out, besides I'm pretty sure the one dude wears an ARF Rolie. In anyway, beyond what other members said already, once a watch develops everyday patina, I really don't think they are easy to spot at all. And if someone is eyeing your wrist with deep intent, either they truly are watch lovers or need to be slapped around for being weird :D :D. Having said that, if it's not for you it's not for you, no one here will judge you (pun alert....)

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Last edited:

centrum

27/7/14
Ah, I see that you are in the same stage I was ten years back. I was scared too about people finding out that it was a replica and judging me however they liked. It was a fear created by me all in my head. I was a noob and didn't know much better about watches, and what they mean.

After being in this game for all these years and living life, I've learned that a watch is a watch whether it's a rep or a gen. There really isn't anything significant about watches. It's a freaking man-made luxury jewelry, and if I think such a thing is important than anything else in this world, boy I would be one ignorant man.

Don't give too much meaning to a watch. It's a watch. Just enjoy it. But if the replica factor still tickles you, then this ain't for you. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G977N using Tapatalk

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
You’re overthinking it. Don’t worry about it. Wear what you want to. I have t shirts that I buy in a pack of 3 for $20 bucks. I also have t shirts that cost $100 bucks or more. Most people will not notice or even care. I don’t really care either. If I buy something to wear, it’s because I like it and I like wearing it.

These days, they’d be more interested in why you’re wearing a watch and not whether it’s fake or not.
The only times I even give a watch a closer look is if it’s for sale and I’m thinking of buying it. Then, I will look at every possible flaw or indicator that it could be a rep or franken.

I own gens. Reps. Frankens, cheapie quartz watches.. etc. I’ve always worn a watch. I think my first watch was in the 3rd grade when everybody wore a swatch with the little rubber guards on them.

When I discovered reps, it was a game changer for me. I’ve always been interested in any type of mechanical engineering. Watches were just a special kind of engineering that I just HAD to take apart and have a look to see how all of it worked.

Then, I learned about modding and building. That just put a huge dent in my funds for sure. Lol. After a while, I got more interested in gens so I sold off most of my reps and just stuck with gens. Everybody eventually ends up getting some gens that they’ve had reps or frankens of and/or regret selling the modded reps they sold to get the gen of that piece.

To me though, I like modding/building them more than wearing them. It’s just the whole process of it. I have NES (non epileptic seizures), which SUCKS. I get little spells where I get completely confused. I get dizzy, disoriented, can’t understand what I’m hearing and can’t speak when it’s happening. I take meds for this but I still get those spells. However, it completely goes away when I’m deep in to building or taking a watch apart or designing/coding. That’s my “zen like moment”. I don’t know what it is but it is the few things that I can completely focus on and not get distracted. I can literally sit there for hours and completely forget about everything else in the world and just work on a watch or a design of whatever I am currently working on.

I don’t know if this is how it is for anyone else but that is how it is for me. Building or modding them also gets me more attached to the watch because I have a connection with them. I built it. While I didn’t make any of the parts of it but I put it together so to me, I’m more attached to it emotionally.

I have a few gens and what’s weird to me is... I wear my reps way more. I don’t think it’s because I don’t want to damage the gens. I’m very careful with all my watches. I just like my rep builds more.

I don’t know. I just don’t overthink it. When I’m getting dressed for whatever day, I just grab a watch that I feel like wearing that day. Sometimes it’s a gen, sometimes it’s a modded rep or just a cheapie fashion watch.

Just don’t overthink it. Put it on your wrist and enjoy it. You paid for it. You worked for that money to be able to pay for it. You should be enjoying it. Not worrying about it constantly.

Wear it with pride man. It’s a beautiful piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KOT1917

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
It may sound like a silly question, but did anyone buy a good quality replica and yet don’t wear, I guess because of the fear get caught? I only had genuine watches that are reasonably priced like Omega planet ocean, Omega seamaster, few Capelands and bunch of vintage watches. But I fell in love with Panerai 127 that I always wanted to have. I can’t buy a genuine 12-18k so I bought next best for $400 plus shipping from trusted dealer. I found that I always wear it at home. I can’t break a Habit of wearing it on some work functions or special occasions. Do any of you guys experience that?

Who cares what watch you wear? Some Pam's are less expensive than you think. There have been a discussion on here before about buying a rep that's really expensive in gen and frankly I see a lot of members here wearing Patek's, Audemars, Mille's, and Daytona's which are very expensive in gen but as a watch lover and wearing reps who knows but YOU. No one knows your pockets or what kind of money you have .... Hell you could have won the lottery for all we know or anybody. You will be very surprised on who or what celebrities wear reps to prevent the real deal from being stolen. Wear what watch you want and wear it proud.

Max111

15/3/19
You’re overthinking it.
To me though, I like modding/building them more than wearing them. It’s just the whole process of it. I have NES (non epileptic seizures), which SUCKS. I get little spells where I get completely confused. I get dizzy, disoriented, can’t understand what I’m hearing and can’t speak when it’s happening. I take meds for this but I still get those spells. However, it completely goes away when I’m deep in to building or taking a watch apart or designing/coding. That’s my “zen like moment”. I don’t know what it is but it is the few things that I can completely focus on and not get distracted. I can literally sit there for hours and completely forget about everything else in the world and just work on a watch or a design of whatever I am currently working on.

I don’t know if this is how it is for anyone else but that is how it is for me. Building or modding them also gets me more attached to the watch because I have a connection with them. I built it. While I didn’t make any of the parts of it but I put it together so to me, I’m more attached to it emotionally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a beautiful story. I am so impressed you developed a new highly complicated skill but it also helps with your health. It is incredible. Very impressive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Carbonara

Max111

15/3/19
Who cares what watch you wear? Some Pam's are less expensive than you think. There have been a discussion on here before about buying a rep that's really expensive in gen and frankly I see a lot of members here wearing Patek's, Audemars, Mille's, and Daytona's which are very expensive in gen but as a watch lover and wearing reps who knows but YOU. No one knows your pockets or what kind of money you have .... Hell you could have won the lottery for all we know or anybody. You will be very surprised on who or what celebrities wear reps to prevent the real deal from being stolen. Wear what watch you want and wear it proud.

What would you buy a $1200 Rolex Franken or gen Oris Aquis. Don’t get me wrong the reps are great for the money you pay they both have a place on the market but most people eventually to gens. If you have a desire to buy a watch every 6 months and you buy an expensive gen one will be broke but with reps you can.

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
The whole point here is by the watch you want , any improvements you can make by modifying it to your liking is the fun part of it. I own gens and lots of reps but either way no one will really care what you have on your wrist. Enjoy what you have and not worry about if someone is looking at your watch and wondering if it's fake. I'm also a sneaker head and I tell you I've seen plenty of rep sneakers on so many feet but who am I to judge. People like what they like.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
I mean I think some people wear reps the wrong way in the sense they're wearing a £20k watch and driving an old banger, or don't have a good job. It makes it look fake, because the reality is the rest of your items wont look up to par.

I work in the private banking industry, I wear suits / shirts - high end tailored. No-one has ever questioned the legitimacy of any watch I wear because of the rest of my appearance, the cars I drive.

I just happen to enjoy replicas because I think the swiss luxury market watches is one of the biggest cons going. I have a few gens and the reality is if someone called me out, they wouldn't. But that's down to my attitude. I'm not a person who takes things lying down, part of the job and just generally I'm a bit of an arsehole when it comes to arguments / disagreements I actually enjoy them. Go figure...

I think end of the day, as long as you're not wearing a RM and driving a banger, you're going to be fine. It's more about attitude, and also dress sense. You don't have to have high end tailored luxury shirts / suits. But if you're wearing a £30k Patek... dress smart, speak well.

I think also most high end haute horology watches you'll actually get away with anyway... as 99% of people think Rolex is the best watch company. More people have heard of Omega than PP/AP/VC. Then you get into big boy territory like A Lange... yeah this is total niche. Most people would think its some cheap Argos (cheap catalogue shop in the UK) watch.

Reality is, you're probably never going to fool a watch enthusiast if you dont have the income levels or at least the appearance to support it because they will know how much that watch costs. The average lay person doesn't give a crap, fashion watches are everywhere and most of the high end watches we covet have a shitty fashion version of them.

More than anything it is attitude, if someone calls you out, and you don't even blink an eye and laugh and say "If you say so." That's it. Instantly deflected, goodbye.
I think people make the mistake of trying to defend it, it's never happened to me but I can assure you I would just laugh in their face. But that says more about me.

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatNate08

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
1. A Fiddy is a very cool watch.
2. I wear the Fiddy or PAM Bronzo almost on a daily basis, as they are my favorites in my watch box.
3. NOBODY even knows or cares about watches except the people on this forum.
4. I get compliments from people all the time on my watches from people who know nothing about watches. So, that is nice.
5. Conclusion...Don't overthink it. Just enjoy your watch(es)!

This is right on. I find the only thing I'm cognizant of not doing is wearing a $30k priced watch (in Rep of course) out on the golf course...other than that, I have no rules.

Personally I own and wear only reps which would reasonably be within my pay grade / life style. An $8K Explorer might be looked at as extravagant but not inconsistent with my middle class existence. A $100K anything would be a giveaway (if noticed). I think also there is something about wearing a rep of which I could reasonably afford the gen.

Last edited:

srhoque

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/11/18
Agree with what everyone says here...As long as the watch goes with your attire/looks and lifestyle, it is good. When I wear my super frankens, I wear a good suit with it also ;)

n229vxhbx

7/11/19
I've struggled with this in the past also, and went through a gold rep phase which didn't help, but now my tastes are more subtle and I find I don't mind wearing reps of $10k watches as long as it doesn't look too gaudy

Max111

15/3/19
I bought LMPO and I wear it everyday. My favorite watch. It is a fake and I don’t care. Love it. Best deal for $385 including shipping