• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watch Box Recommendation (show off yours!)

OGHorology

Known Member
9/3/20
UK
Hey Guys,

Looking to get my first watch box - probably going for a 4 or 6 slot one (I'm UK based).

Not looking to break bank, probably around £20 ($25).

Please do show off yours! Might give me some ideas of what to look for.

Apologies if its some kind of repost, I had a quick look and didn't find any obvious discussions.

Cheers

valueprop

17/12/19
If you have automatic watches you might consider getting a watch winder with extra slots for manual wind watches. Looks great and is very convenient for keeping extra pieces wound. I'm on vacation now, brought a few watches with me and wish I had a winder!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
I wouldn't recommend the watch winder boxes, personally. I've read in various places that it's detrimental to automatic watches for them to be kept running indefinitely on a winder. The argument makes sense - why subject a watch's working parts to unnecessary wear when it's not being worn? The old argument that the oil in a watch will go solid if the watch isn't used doesn't apply these days, since modern oils don't congeal over time.

OGHorology

Known Member
9/3/20
UK
Watch winders do look pretty neat but I'm also in agreement with p0pperini on this one. Might as well keep the wear and tear to a minimum. Unless...its a watch with a few complications (annual calendar, a perpetual calendar, a moon phase indicator...) and you can't be bothered every time :yes:

Mine are also in a sock drawer for now, I hate breaking in leather straps though so having them in a box for a few days with just the right tightness/position will help.

Reactions: Glaude

freediver

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/17
Nothing lasts forever, i prefer to keep them wound and ready to flip anytime

Sometimes i might even swap 3-4 just for my personal satisfaction :)

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Nothing lasts forever, i prefer to keep them wound and ready to flip anytime
Well, yes - you do have a point. God only knows how many seconds of my life I've wasted, moving the hands round the dial a few times and laboriously rotating the crown 20 times before I leave in the morning.

;)

Reactions: freediver

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Not within your budget, but I have a 12 slot Rainier. They make them for various #'s of watches.Available on e-bay and they are very well made and nice

valueprop

17/12/19
Also depends on how many watches you have and how heavy your rotation. I have a 4 watch winder and wear each once a week or so. Considering a few of them have the date set as well, it's too much of a pain resetting that each time. I would rather pay for service every 3 to 5 years. Depends on what the watch experience and convenience is worth to you, but picking up a watch, throwing it on and going about my day is a great feeling.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Holybully

Diablo8

Horology Curious
11/9/19
Watch winders are nice, but expensive. Unless you’re always on the go and want to save time on adjusting watches, its not worth it IMO. Similar to what p0pperini posted, I bought a 24 watch Box (with a drawer) from either ebay or Amazon and it does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Diablo8

Horology Curious
11/9/19
Watch winders are nice, but expensive. Unless you’re always on the go and want to save time on adjusting watches, its not worth it IMO. Similar to what p0pperini posted, I bought a 24 watch Box (with a drawer) from either ebay or Amazon and it does the job.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Roda

Horology Curious
11/3/20
I'm thinking of buying a pelican case to store my watches, there is lots of different sizes.
martinator-watch-case-xl.jpg

jackbrabham

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
6/10/18
Has anyone done an experiment online of watch winder wear vs non-watch winder wear?

eBay is the best place to go for boxes and winders at a reasonable price, in my experience.

Last edited:

valueprop

17/12/19
Has anyone done an experiment online of watch winder wear vs non-watch winder wear?

eBay is the best place to go for boxes and winders at a reasonable price, in my experience.

Not sure what you mean, but after shopping around a bit I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMR7W25

It's reasonably priced and fairly good quality. IMO it's kind of silly that folks here are worried about spending a couple hundred on a nice watch winder box when they're spending multiple thousands on watches. Do you live in a hovel too, hoarding your rolies? Whatever makes sense to you but it makes sense to me to have nice things with other nice things, and showing off those nice watches is possible even when they're not on the wrist! It's an aesthetic addition to my home.

Last edited:

jackbrabham

Supporter
6/10/18
Not sure what you mean, but after shopping around a bit I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BMR7W25

It's reasonably priced and fairly good quality. IMO it's kind of silly that folks here are worried about spending a couple hundred on a nice watch winder box when they're spending multiple thousands on watches. Do you live in a hovel too, hoarding your rolies? Whatever makes sense to you but it makes sense to me to have nice things with other nice things, and showing off those nice watches is possible even when they're not on the wrist! It's an aesthetic addition to my home.

Probably a combination of the fact that:

1) Watches have a higher proportional resale value than boxes.
2) Less prestige in a watch box
3) Far less people see your watch box vs. your watch.

Though I agree with you.

komali_2

My GF got me a watch display uhh "tree" thing, that I like way more than a box because all my watches are out on display in a 3d fashion (it has 2 "tiers"). I gotta dust'm is all.

I'd post a pic but it's back home and I'm hiding from the virus right now.

I want to attach some kind of stickier material though because the "tree" is wood and so watches can just slip face-side-down rather than faces up and shining towards me :)